To anyone else who renders their own lard....

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sarudak
Site Admin

To anyone else who renders their own lard....

Post by Sarudak »

For you crazy people. Cracklings make the most amazing burger topping. That is all...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: To anyone else who renders their own lard....

Post by FlowerChild »

For once, I am at a loss for words :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

What? Lard rocks! ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

<begins to edge ever closer to the door while having flashbacks of Deliverance>

Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Like my uncle always said If you want lard done right you've gotta use yourself.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I never understand the song references you make. Nonetheless lard is delicious. It make the best fried rice, the best caramelized onions and mushrooms and the best pie crust you can imagine. Not to mention that contrary to popular belief as long as it's not hydrogenized it's far more healthy than most of the vegetable oils people use to cook nowadays.
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Xeo wrote:Like my uncle always said If you want lard done right you've gotta use yourself.
Oh shit I just realized you're talking about making lard yourself. When I read the title I thought you were talking about making lard out of your own fat.
I think it's time to go to bed...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I never understand the song references you make.
Sigh...if that scene was representative of what normally transpires in your backyard, I guess you wouldn't catch it.

That was my roundabout way of calling you a redneck...you redneck ;)

All I know is that I'm going to have nightmares about you dining on raw steak with a side of homemade lard tonight.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Sarudak wrote:...and the best pie crust you can imagine. Not to mention that contrary to popular belief as long as it's not hydrogenized it's far more healthy than most of the vegetable oils people use to cook nowadays.
If you truly want the finest pie crust, you need 5:1 shortening:cake margarine. Yes its hydrogonised but honestly it's worth it ;) Grew up on a farm which made cornish pasties which win awards every year, without fail!

OK, I'm not helping with the deliverance reference am I....
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Heathens. The best pie crust is definitely made with butter, and butter only.

I think a bake-off may be in order here.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

FlowerChild wrote:Heathens. The best pie crust is definitely made with butter, and butter only.

Being from Denmark, a country made of butter and bacon, I have to agree with the above statement. You can't make a good Danish (pastry) if using anything but butter.

On a related note: http://satwcomic.com/too-little-butter
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

For pastries butter, but for frying, using anything else than olive oil is a sin where I live.
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

FlowerChild wrote:Heathens. The best pie crust is definitely made with butter, and butter only.
Ew, really? All butter? That'd be flakier then someone with dandruff man, need some lard to make it tender.
I've always done a 3:1 Butter:Lard in my pie crusts.

Also in the defense of lard, you can't make a good biscuit without it, or at the very least, shortening.
:V
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Well, this is it then, I challenge you all to bake your own mystery meat pie and post the piccy's.

Extra points for using your own rotting corpse as the filler ;)

Points deducted for soggy bottoms. No-one likes a soggy bottom.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:No-one likes a soggy bottom.
I've had my moments.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Man, I'd follow you blindly into the depths of hell when it comes to game design, but our opinions on pastry design are clearly irreconcilable. :P
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Xeo wrote:Oh shit I just realized you're talking about making lard yourself. When I read the title I thought you were talking about making lard out of your own fat.
Hmm, I wonder just how much mystery meat that would take..
agentwiggles wrote:
Man, I'd follow you blindly into the depths of hell when it comes to game design, but our opinions on pastry design are clearly irreconcilable. :P
Having been at one point married to a southern gal, I have to agree with the virtues of Lard.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
Gears

Post by Gears »

Actually I'll back up flowerchild on this one. When done right, pie crusts with butter are a religious experience in itself.

I for one would legitimately like to see a bake-off within this community. The "Better with Baking" contest, winner gets booze and wolf chops.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Benanov

Middle of the road

Post by Benanov »

I'll enter, but I'm using Ghee - and not "vegetable ghee" either - that's just a cute name for shortening.

All of the milkfat, none of the solids
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Would never have thought of using ghee in a pie crust, I use it simply for frying -- food for thought!
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

So after a very long "Week Of Things Which Are Not Fun" I wound up missing a connecting flight due to overzealous security deciding that I may be a drugs mule. I spent 24 hours in a cell waiting for a gender appropriate person to return to work and stick their fingers into me, and pretty much the only thing stopping me from assaulting my way into proper jail time was the thought that when I get home, I'm going to make my mystery meat pie! Don't ask me why that was the thought which kept me going but it did.

So, back at home, it's midday but my body thinks it's midnight, freshly violated by the fattest, nastiest security officer I have ever seen, I got to baking. Three hours later and here's the results:
Spoiler
Show
Interior shot:
Spoiler
Show
Serving suggestion seems to be 1 tablespoon of apple chutney and half a roasted chicken breast. That classic combination otherwise known as "What's doesn't smell bad in my fridge"

I'm off to bed!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

mmm... Long pork pie is my favorite. Glad you aren't in jail anymore Shengji. You would have been sorely missed.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:So after a very long "Week Of Things Which Are Not Fun" I wound up missing a connecting flight due to overzealous security deciding that I may be a drugs mule. I spent 24 hours in a cell waiting for a gender appropriate person to return to work and stick their fingers into me, and pretty much the only thing stopping me from assaulting my way into proper jail time was the thought that when I get home, I'm going to make my mystery meat pie! Don't ask me why that was the thought which kept me going but it did.
Yikes. My sympathies man :(
kilgore trout

Post by kilgore trout »

FlowerChild wrote:<begins to edge ever closer to the door while having flashbacks of Deliverance>

Whenever I hear a pig squeal in MC ... terrible, terrible thoughts.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

After Shengi's story, I'm really beginning to regret referencing that particular film earlier in this thread :)