Tree Farm Questions...

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rikkstar

Tree Farm Questions...

Post by Rikkstar »

Hi All,

This is my first post and unfortunately it is a bit of a noob question....

Have been absolutely loving this Mod and it has massively rekindled my minecraft experience. Enjoying it more than ever now.

I seem to be having an absolute mare with Tree Farms though and i feel like i have missed something. I have built the tree farm shown by sergeant slater in the following video :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdMtUU ... C&index=36

however i have left it for days and days and the tree (oak) doesnt seem to grow... Having scoured the forums i dont seem to be able to find any other farms like this, most use pistons to push the tree around etc.... So my question is, is the above tree farm viable or has something changed in the minecraft game that doesnt allow this to happen.

I am certain all of my mechanics are correct it just seems that an oak tree wont grow when it is completely enclosed and only has vertical space....Though Sergeant slaters build is designed in exactly that way...

Please help it is driving me insane!!!
ion

Re: Tree Farm Questions...

Post by ion »

the lowest oak tree that can grow is six blocks high. 4 for the logs and 2 for the leaves. post a picture of your setup so we can give proper response. also oak trees don't grow in a tunnel like setup they need air blocks around
Rikkstar

Post by Rikkstar »

Hi Ion,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Cant take a screenie as it has been taken down to be relocated....
My setup is exactly the same as on the youtube video, and yes it is in a 'tunnel' of dirt.... does that not work anymore?
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

If you will note, that video is a year old. There have been a lot of changes in both BTW and vanilla minecraft since then.
It takes a ridiculously long time for tree to grow if there are any blocks next to where the trunk will grow.
I tried that configuration and left it for over 10 RL hours of game play will I did other projects in the area.
The tree never grew.

FC has made it so the only real way to reasonably "tree farm" is using bloodwood in the nether.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I suggest checking out Noir's stuff, man he is a crazy redstoner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpOw0tgu ... e=youtu.be

His thread can be found here(along with a world download): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6443
-Scroll down till you hit the Tree Farms stuff.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Six

Post by Six »

TheGatesofLogic knows the exact growth details better than me, but the gist of it is as follows:

When trying to grow a tree, the game randomly chooses a tree shape, then checks that there aren't any full blocks where the leaves will be spawned. If no full blocks exist there, then a the tree is grown. I think there's randomly an exception for when it tries to grow a large oak (the one with branches), in which cases the check isn't made, but not too sure about that. The other thing is that bloodwood doesn't make the leaf check, which means it can be grown in tubes fine.

However, saws are not considered full blocks, so if you can make a design which uses saws next to the trunk and keeps all full blocks out of the area, then they should grow. Alternatively, you can use super awesome sand pusher designs, which Noir can link you to.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Also, there have been a few threads about good tree farm designs, which I'd link if I had more than a minute to post at the moment, but I'm sure you could find them with some creative searching of the forums. In fact, if you search Razars tree farm on youtube, one of the first hits you should get is in my opinion the best design :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
ion

Post by ion »

Rikkstar wrote:Hi Ion,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Cant take a screenie as it has been taken down to be relocated....
My setup is exactly the same as on the youtube video, and yes it is in a 'tunnel' of dirt.... does that not work anymore?
read this a bout tree growing
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tree
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Tree mechanics is the only thing I have truly mastered in minecraft. (although that may come to an end soon due to a little project I'm working on ;) ) basically how it works is that the only way for a tree to grow with a block adjacent to it is if the game screws up a value in the process, basically 'once in a blue moon.' the only reason they would work in any other scenario is if it generates a large oak tree (which requires a relatively large height in the farm btw) The way the code works for 'Big Trees' is that the parameters are set to only the center vertical column of blocks, otherwise known as the trunk of the tree which allows for a spawn in a tube like environment rather than a more open setting. these 'Big Trees' however are generated very infrequently so there is that problem too. The only reasonable approach to tree farming in BTW is a sand pusher farm. It really is rather unfortunate that 'Big Trees' dont have there own sapling ;)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

The older tree farm video that I made is horribly out of date, so I wouldn't recommend that design for the most part. Not to mention Oak doesn't mix well with sand pusher designs either.

Your best bet would be making a bloodwood farm with saws, or using block dispensers for oak (I have a setup for block dispenser tree farms in my thread).

Sand pusher tree farms are just more of a hassle than they are worth, not really any way around it.

I wish you luck though :)

Edit: Also not being able to make a working tree farm does not by any means make you a noob, it's actually fairly difficult (at least sand pushing is)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
ion

Post by ion »

actually noir oak works fine with sand pushers you just need to not let it grow branches.max height for oak is 7 including leaves and they should work for sand pushers
Rikkstar

Post by Rikkstar »

Awesome thanks a lot guys for responding so quickly...

Will be trying to make noir's builds work today :)