I MIGHT be able to port to SMP - No promises for now though

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Banpower1

I MIGHT be able to port to SMP - No promises for now though

Post by Banpower1 »

First of, i know SMP is not officially supported and i can't promise any results, I'm but a "kid" 17 years old and with a little programming experience, thus no magician.

but the reason for saying that there might be a possibility for it is that i ran into this: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-d ... 000.15808/
It took me quite a while to understand what the heck that plugin actually does, but if i understood correctly it allows for porting of Single player Mods (Better Than Wolves) onto servers, but the process is long and complicated, and might only yield a buggy unstable solution...

my question is, have anybody tried using Itemcraft on/with Better Than Wolves, if so what hindered the success/why isn't the news about it spread around?

EDIT: I think i might just managed to reopen the debate of viewtopic.php?f=3&t=296&hilit=Itemcraft ... should have thought of also searching for Itemcraft on here, did use search, just not fully... anyhows that one ends about the same place as i do
Last edited by Banpower1 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HavokSCOUT

Re: I MIGHT be able to port to SMP - No promises for now tho

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Deepsniper is already doing an itemcraft for this, maybe you can help him
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I will mention once again though, even if you do get this working, it would be for private use only. It does not give you the right to start redistributing mod-files to others so that they can use it as well.
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

I know that you do not allow redistribution of files, it was intended to be run on a private server on a spare computer at home for friends only
I was thinking i would send you/the forum a message asking for permission to share directly to you or any co-workers you might have, as to help with making a SMP version of the mod, which i believe would boost the value (?) of this, already great, mod for minecraft.
but nothing public untill you or a co-worker have confirmed everything, but wont bugger you with it unless i get it working first though :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

As I've been talking to a lot of people on the BTW livestream about it they are pretty interested and excited and I have thought maybe I would open a more public server with it but just to us BTW community aka FlowerChild and some active and mature folk. But as of yet the plugin is still in dev mode so no guarentee yet
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Banpower1 wrote:I know that you do not allow redistribution of files, it was intended to be run on a private server on a spare computer at home for friends only
I was thinking i would send you/the forum a message asking for permission to share directly to you or any co-workers you might have, as to help with making a SMP version of the mod, which i believe would boost the value (?) of this, already great, mod for minecraft.
but nothing public untill you or a co-worker have confirmed everything, but wont bugger you with it unless i get it working first though :)
Hehe...I don't have a staff man. The mod is all coded by me.

It's doubtful I'll be going to Itemcraft/Bukkit route when I make the move to SMP, so I doubt the code would be of use to me, but thanks for the offer just the same.
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

If you do want to make any sort of mods, all servers I've seen runs on bukkit, especially the ones running mods, because bukkit takes the standard code in the server, and fixes some of the errors for you, so that you get a cleaner and better usable server, on top of that there is the whole API thing, which the standard server lacks.
Overnight i thought if you would grant allowance for starting a forum/community project where we would work together in order to create working SMP mods, that way it won't be your headache, both in the way of developing it, and you will also rid yourself of us bugging you to do so :P

on the other hand i will understand if you say no, after all your copyright claim (according to my country's law you have copyright over any material you make for 10 years without doing anything, so i acknowledge your copyright), claims that you will not share any files, and do not allow any files to be shared, which such a project would be a direct violation of.

and thanks for reading my posts, even though i just joined, yesterday and jumped the gun on making this topic :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah man, I work alone. When the time is right for me to do SMP (which will likely be when Notch cleans up the client and server portions of his code as he said he would), then I'll work on it myself. I've done the multiplayer code for a few commercial titles in the past, so I'm really not worried about it. I just don't want to have to do the job twice when he changes around the code-base.
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

Ok then, i will accept your decision and try to do it all alone, for friend only then, should be an interesting and learning experience though, specially considering i'm aiming for programmer of some sort, as employment, whenever i get that old :P (17 now, as mentioned earlier (just ran by the off-topic "flower child" topic, funny one :P (and i did understand all of it, good parenting i guess)))
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

So i went head first using ItemCraft to translate the mod over, i'm now stuck with the console saying "[INFO] c:\Minecraft\retro\java\z.java not found"
i'm on step 24 of the guide in the spoiler I'm sorry if i violate the rules by posting this, please just delete it its wrong, and i will understand fully