Wurm online, Notch's previous game

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gilberreke

Wurm online, Notch's previous game

Post by Gilberreke »

I know some of you played Notch's previous game, Wurm Online, just wondering what the general opinions on it are :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Thalarctia

Re: Wurm online, Notch's previous game

Post by Thalarctia »

I played it quite a bit very early in its development, where it was just a sandbox where people would band together in villages for survival and resource sharing. When stuff like religions, pre-defined kingdoms and such came about, I started losing interest, as it appeared Rolf and Notch were trying to push people into this fictional war between the kingdoms (that noone really cared about, as the players had their own political fights and battles way before then). Haven't really followed the game over the last couple of years, so I don't know what it looks like now. I just abandoned ship when they started going too far in the wrong direction.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I tried it out for a few hours, spent most of the time wandering and lost just looking for a place to set up small hut, and still mostly clueless about how to do anything. It's still very intriguing to me, especially after seeing what some people have built, I just wish it was a little easier to start out and one didn't have to spend hours looking for an open plot reasonably close to the needed resources. I probably would have immensely enjoyed it had I been able to be one of the first people on a new server, to get to see the land untouched and be one of the original settlers.

I haven't written it off completely though, I may keep trying.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

I tried playing for a few hours, but I just couldn't get over the interface. For example, to cut down a tree you had to do something like:
1. Select your body
2. Select your right arm
3. Select your right hand
4. Check the wiki 'cause you can't remember how to do things
5. Equip an axe
6. Walk to a tree
7. Check the wiki again
8. Pore over an exhaustive list of everything you could ever do with an axe
9. Select "Cut down tree"
10. Stand motionless before a tree as a hideous "tree-cutting meter" filled up.
11. Check the wiki some more
12. Pore over the axe list again
13. Select the specific options that will let you process the tree into useful post-products
14. Stop playing, because this UI makes Dwarf Fortress's interface look like psychic software that automatically does whatever you wish it would.
aeper

Post by aeper »

I've have played wurm for awhile now.. I currently live on exudos and can post screens of my town if you want.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Huh I had heard of it but never played it. Also did not know notch was at the helm... Think i'll have to give it a shot
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.