RTH Q&A thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
tom_savage

Re: RTH Q&A thread

Post by tom_savage »

Instead of such a direct question then, and staying away from gameplay. Is there any anime/book/movie/art that has a generally feel, environmental or other, that you are leaning towards in the environment that you're creating? Inspiration? Something that we can get a taste of what the world 'might' be like.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Most likely not given what we know about Flower's feelings on bang for buck. If it's written in C++ even if flower were inclined to allow it decompiling and modding it would be far more impractical. Which means he would have to intentionally add some kind of framework allowing for people to include addons which would be a huge amount of work to support.
Yup, that pretty much covers it. Modding is something that I will certainly code RTH keeping in mind (similar to multiplayer), but it's not something I plan out of the box.

There's also a certain double-edged sword aspect to mods, especially if you want to continue developing a game indefinitely (which I do), in that you can easily get boxed in design-wise by your own mods.

Especially early on, I'd prefer it if any feature requests and ideas for the game were directed towards me rather than towards a potential modding community.

And lastly, the more of your code you release, the more of the reverse-engineering problem you can run into.

*Maybe* once the game has matured and is later-on in its life cycle, I'll consider opening it up to modding at that point, but at the start, no, I'm going to keep it closed.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

This may be to specific, what do expect to implement as a crafting system? A grid(like Minecraft)? Just toss the required items together without the need for a specific order(like Don't Starve)? Or something clever we will just have to wait for? ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I have one. Considering the fact that you do intend to keep this as a voxel based game like MC, how "blocky" do you intend to make it? What I mean is, do you plan on striving to keep everything as blocky and square as possible like minecraft, or do you see yourself implementing stuff like slopes and whatnot?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

Will the gameplay be significantly more realistic than Minecraft, or will it be more that things are more intuitive with realistic reasons, like in BTW?
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Hmm, if I remember correctly, FC seems to prefer using the word 'verisimilitude' rather than realistic. as realistic implies the game making sense in our accordance to our own world, whereas verisimilitude implies the game makes sense according to itself and maintains a cohesive whole....

did I explain that right?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

We've seen many things in BTW that are sort of out of the box...or at least unexpected, given the previous list of features in vMC, for example: various hardcore options(some of which aren't optional). I guess the most recent example would be HC movement, a very obvious feature once one thinks about it, but not something that the masses would have guessed. You've also mentioned that building materials will have an effect on construction, particularly in base defense for RTH, which would be another example. I guess my question is:

I'm assuming that we will see a very large number of features similar to the above in that they are 'out of the box'/unexpected in RTH, but would you care to say anything to the contrary, or just about the subject in general?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

will there be more enviromental problems, like rain was to BTW?
Gears

Post by Gears »

First off, what can we expect in terms of the worlds size horizontally and vertically? Will we have a finite world, an infinite horizontal world, or a world that expands in all directions? Sorry ahead of time if this is meta-gamey.

Secondly, will the game itself lean more towards realism or will it be designed more like BTW is now?
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This is getting a bit silly guys. I originally intended this thread more as an information repository for RTH so that discussion of it wouldn't spill into other threads. I wasn't really requesting people ask questions about it, and was more just creating a central place for the questions that were coming up here and there.

I certainly didn't want to do an extended interview on it, or get into too many specifics.

But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color. To all other questions: no comment :)
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

This is the news i was waiting for :)

I am both thrilled and relieved that you've set a date and are actively planning the future, i hope it's a bright one.

For now i'll refrain from piling on the questions and wish you the best in this endeavor.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Well shit. Point me to where I should be throwing my money, that's all I needed to hear!
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Will It be first person like minecraft, or more of an omniscient perceptive like DF?
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Gdnite wrote:Will It be first person like minecraft, or more of an omniscient perceptive like DF?
This was answered on the first page.
FlowerChild wrote:In answer to both this and the question that followed, there will thus be a lot of superficial similarities between vanilla MC and RTH. Both will likely be voxel-based first person games with a survival element. Obviously, the actual game design beyond those basic parameters will be radically different.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thorium-232 wrote: Well shit. Point me to where I should be throwing my money, that's all I needed to hear!
Lol! Well, I will certainly make more information available about it as time goes on, and certainly more before I open it up to crowd funding or what have you ;)
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Oh I feel stupid now because I read that.... But I can wait to throw money at this game!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Spoiler
Show
From a development perspective, are you going to try and develop Solo or if funding permits, are you going to rope in / hire other developers to help build it? Seems like a massive project.

I'm glad to hear you are going down this path. Doing it as a mod is so counter-productive considering the current MC modding environment.
Edit: Question already answered as it turns out. I did look for an answer, guess i didn't look hard enough. sorry.
Last edited by finite8 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

finite8 wrote:From a development perspective, are you going to try and develop Solo or if funding permits, are you going to rope in / hire other developers to help build it? Seems like a massive project.

I'm glad to hear you are going down this path. Doing it as a mod is so counter-productive considering the current MC modding environment.
If you read the thread that question has already been answered :)
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

Man, I feel like with every release you put out, I get further and further behind. You add so much stuff on such a regular basis that I don't think I'll ever be able to catch up until you officially stop adding content. That's not a complaint, it's a statement of astonishment because I don't think I've ever played a game that I couldn't complete every little aspect of in a timely manner. It amazes me that what may look like a simplistic feature to an outsider adds so much depth on so many different levels, and I'm not just talking about one feature of this mod. I could say that about almost every feature in this mod. It astounds me that your mod hasn't been in the spotlight more. If this is the kind of game you are able to create while having the constraints of Minecraft as a base, I definitely will be looking forward to what you are capable of doing without anything but time holding you back.

PS, I do hope you will be able to eventually (if not right away) add support for the Oculus Rift as personally I see that becoming the next generation of gaming gear, and it would also give your game the advantage of being on the bleeding edge of gaming technology.
Bogdanisar

Post by Bogdanisar »

Hi first post here :)
Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but will you continue updating or adding new stuff to BTW after getting RTH going?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Bogdanisar wrote:Hi first post here :)
Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but will you continue updating or adding new stuff to BTW after getting RTH going?
No one had to ask, FC said he'd update, not add any new content though. It's why he's wrapping BTW up now
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Bogdanisar wrote:Hi first post here :)
I'll be continuing to update BTW to new versions of Minecraft for the indefinite future, but will largely stop adding stuff to it.

I may still add the occasional item here and there if the mood strikes me or as I see a real need (like ripping out vanilla features as necessary), but once I move onto RTH, I will consider BTW to be "complete" and will focus the vast majority of my attention on my new project.
Bogdanisar

Post by Bogdanisar »

Ok, thank you for replying so quick.
I wish you luck with RTH FC.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

skrat6009 wrote:PS, I do hope you will be able to eventually (if not right away) add support for the Oculus Rift as personally I see that becoming the next generation of gaming gear, and it would also give your game the advantage of being on the bleeding edge of gaming technology.
Well, it's more a case of Carmack telling us it's the next generation. Things like Wii and Kinect being profitable do show that the public is ready for innovations, but I'm still not sure if the VR thing will work, UNLESS the augmented reality thing works too (which I'm even less sure of).

That said, if Carmack says something, I'll at least listen. He's got enough pull to start that next generation single handed. Here's to hoping :)

Sorry for the off-topic, maybe a thread in the Off-topic forum is needed?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I have one thing to say about this and one thing only FlowerChild, I expect a Companion Cube ;) just for posterity's sake. A true reminder of how far you've come and how far you plan to go. I've enjoyed this community for a long time and am looking forward to RTH rising from the ashes of Mojang's mistakes. Thank you :)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go