Remove coal drops from wither skelletons.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Azdoine

Remove coal drops from wither skelletons.

Post by Azdoine »

As per title. In my opinion, it's too simple to automate, even though it's one of the key components of SFS.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Remove coal drops from wither skelletons.

Post by FlowerChild »

I hear you, but I'm torn on this one. I've almost completed my wither skeleton farm in terms of preventing spawns in the surrounding area (waiting for the Groth to spread in some areas, but I've completely neutralized spawns in the fortress itself), and I don't find the coal output to be particular high.

When I consider the amount of effort it all took, and given the abundance of coal in the game already, I'm not convinced that it isn't a reasonable bonus reward for completing such a trap.

Coal is so abundant in the game already, that I've never felt motivated to build an auto tree-farm/Kiln setup to produce charcoal, so I don't feel the above actually changes much.

Having said that, I need more playtesting time with it to make a final decision on it, but for now, it's not setting off alarm bells for me.

I don't much like the vanilla trend of assigning existing items to new mobs though, and would much rather see them have unique drops with new uses. The witch is another example of this as it just watered down the other methods of obtaining the same resources until I ripped its drops out.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I personally always silk touch coal, and fortune it up later in my base as I need to. I also Never pass up on ores of any kind.

Result? A doublechest full of coal ore (to fortune when I need) and about 3 doublechests of coal scattered around my world.

Even for lazy people I cannot see how coal is a resource in short supply. That said, having a slow but steady source of it in the nether can be convenient in other ways, ie sparing you an entire trip to the overworld just for a couple of torches.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Six

Post by Six »

My natural thought is to suggest they be given a low drop rate Nethercoal. Can't be used in SFS production and re-encourages use of Nethercoal in furnaces. I'm not even sure when the last time was I brewed up nethercoal for furnace use, generally having an abundance of coal / charcoal and not feeling the need.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Six wrote:I'm not even sure when the last time was I brewed up nethercoal for furnace use, generally having an abundance of coal / charcoal and not feeling the need.
This is so true. And it seems like a good idea. +1
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You guys just won't let something die when I say "I'm thinking about it" will you?