Your favorite redstone circuit/component?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BlackCat

Your favorite redstone circuit/component?

Post by BlackCat »

Title speaks for itself.

Aside from the obligatory BUD circuit being my favorite, I've been using pulse limiters and smart pistons a lot more lately, love both of them.

What are some of your favorites?
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Syruse

Re: Your favorite redstone circuit/component?

Post by Syruse »

I find RS latches to be amazing. I've always preferred my data storage and toggles to machines be RS latches as opposed to T-flip-flops or D-flip-flops. Logically in my mind it a lot easier for me to work out components when memory has a dedicated set and reset line, rather than a toggle down the same line.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

T-flip flops

Having a single button for on/off, open/close, whatever is always more elegant than a level and almost always more useful in terms of other things the circuit may need to do. They are pretty useful is so many way when not a direct input from the player (i.e. a memory latch for a variable length function where an RS-NOR is not usable due to only 1 input).

On that note RS-NOR is a pretty close second, especially when coupled with a self reset to create a precise timer.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

For me, it's flip-flops and edge detectors, simply because they're used to convert one type of signal to another - flip-flops allow a pulse-based input to cause a state change, and edge detectors allow a state change to send a pulse.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
ThePuzzleMasher

Post by ThePuzzleMasher »

#1. A piston door:
It was my first ever redstone contraption I made in survival mode back in 1.8

#2. The RS-NOR-Latch:
It is easy to use in a basic redstone contraption like a piston door but you need both a on and an off button.

#3. The T-Flip-Flop
A toggle switch but it uses the same button for on and off but with the drawback of either having a large circuit with torches everywhere or only accepting a 1tick pulse
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.
Gunnerman21 wrote:This will also make Link from the Zelda series cower in fear
Which I bet all those pottery making families will love
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Falling edge detector.

Very useful, how else can I detect changes in state?

Took me a little bit to remember how to use it, from the electronics class I took as a kid.
Enables most of my Redstone machines to react, and reset themselves.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I think saw timers would be my favorite.

On a serious note, T Flip Flops.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I have a 4x5, one wide tileable T-flipflop that I use a lot, as it is very versatile. I also like piston-based monostables, especially a design I use (included in the T-flipflop) that is 2x3 that is useful. I can post pics tomorrow, once I have computer access. What is a smart piston, though? Is it the sticky piston sent a very short pulse to not retract the block on the same pulse as it pushes it out? If so, That is what I use in my flipflop and is very usefful as well.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I did a video on smart pistons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoobwUgcMdg

Basically they are a piston circuit that will detect blocks and push them automatically
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I find myself using rs nor's a lot as well as mono stables. I'm headed toward using flip flops more as the design I have in mind for evenly distributing wheat to cows will require it.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I love T Flip Flops, I use them for a ton of stuff. However, Monostable circuits are rapidly becoming my favorite.