Need some help guys.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
tom_savage

Need some help guys.

Post by tom_savage »

I got my son hooked up on an old laptop playing Minecraft. He's 2 years old, and loves it. He usually plays on my sister's iphone, and glancing over his shoulder the other day I noticed they have it setup where you automatically walk up 1 block ledges, which works very well for him. Since he's only 2, he has a really hard time doing the multiple button thing (unless of course he's slapping the keyboard) so ledges on the PC are very daunting to him. I have small stickers on the w, a, s, d buttons so he knows where they are, and understands what they do, but he's just not able to get it right now. Does anyone know of a mod that allows players to walk up 1 block ledges? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything but LongerLegs which was outdated forever ago.
gftweek

Re: Need some help guys.

Post by gftweek »

I only know of the thaumcraft boots of the traveller which give this ability (plus jump height, walk speed and fall damage protection which may help as well).

The other thing you could do is set him up on a flatlands map, although they are a little more boring.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I suppose I could install that, put the boots on him, and enable the "not drop inventory" option on vMC... alas...I enjoy that feature of minecraft, teaching kids that when you mess up, you lose stuff.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Unless I'm completely missing something, it should actually be really easy to make a mod that modifies the step height of the player, though it would require editing the baseclass EntityPlayer. If your son is playing on vanilla I can make such a mod really quickly, and it won't even need Modloader or Forge (then again, it probably won't work with Forge either). There are probably more elegant ways of doing such a mod without base edits, but I'm not that great of a programmer.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

That would be amazing. I currently setup his game like I previously stated. I equipped him with those boots, and turned off dropping items when killed. It worked out well. Not having to have forge and Thaumcraft 3 installed would be great, but since I already have it all setup, please don't worry about it unless you really have some great desire to.

Having Minecraft forge installed prevents me from being able to run BTW, which, if I'm going to spend time playing on LAN with him, I would prefer to play that over anything else. Of course, if the little mod that lets him run over ledges has base-class modifications, that would destroy that as well? I'm going to go ahead and make a note here to prevent crossing any line.

I am in NO way trying to use this as a passive suggestion to introduce something like this into BTW or anything of the sort. Just looking for a solution to help my son, and perhaps have some fun alongside him.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tom_savage wrote:I am in NO way trying to use this as a passive suggestion to introduce something like this into BTW or anything of the sort. Just looking for a solution to help my son, and perhaps have some fun alongside him.
Yup, I realize, but the funny thing is it has me considering ways in which I could make that happen for you regardless ;)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
tom_savage wrote:I am in NO way trying to use this as a passive suggestion to introduce something like this into BTW or anything of the sort. Just looking for a solution to help my son, and perhaps have some fun alongside him.
Yup, I realize, but the funny thing is it has me considering ways in which I could make that happen for you regardless ;)
Aww, that heart of stone thick skin is just concealing something greater :)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Detritus wrote:heart of stone
You see, this is why I don't understand the crap people write about him, all I ever see is one of the most decent people I have ever met on the internet - strongly principled and with a sense of humour that would curl a handlebar moustache - but when it comes down to it, thoroughly decent!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote: You see, this is why I don't understand the crap people write about him, all I ever see is one of the most decent people I have ever met on the internet - strongly principled and with a sense of humour that would curl a handlebar moustache - but when it comes down to it, thoroughly decent!
<grumble grumble> :)

If I do something like this though, I put it on Tom to raise his kid right and make sure that he doesn't wind up posting entitled compatibility requests to my suggestions forum in a decade or so ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: If I do something like this though, I put it on Tom to raise his kid right and make sure that he doesn't wind up posting entitled compatibility requests to my suggestions forum in a decade or so ;)
*Tries to extrapolate what BTW would be like if Flower worked on it for a decade*

*Brain explodes*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:*Tries to extrapolate what BTW would be like if Flower worked on it for a decade*

*Brain explodes*
Oh no, I mean whatever I'm working on then. One way or another, I doubt I'm going anywhere unless dictated by my own mortality ;)

Now that I've rediscovered it, I don't think this is a part of myself I'll ever let get pushed to the side again, as I've realized to do so has disastrous results on my own well being.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:One way or another, I doubt I'm going anywhere unless dictated by my own mortality ;)

Now that I've rediscovered it,
You used to be IMMORTAL!??!? O.O
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Sarudak wrote:You used to be IMMORTAL!??!? O.O
What do you mean "used to be"?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

He did say 'Now that I've rediscovered it" implying that he once did not have mortality but does now.

EDIT: In all seriousness though I'm glad that you have your morality. And I'm glad you decided not to go through with porting to forge because I think you would have regretted compromising in that way for those reasons.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:He did say 'Now that I've rediscovered it" implying that he once did not have mortality but does now.

EDIT: In all seriousness though I'm glad that you have your morality. And I'm glad you decided not to go through with porting to forge because I think you would have regretted compromising in that way for those reasons.
Errrr...no, I meant *mortality*, and I was talking about rediscovering my love of making games, which was the crucial part of myself I had lost along the course of my career in the game industry.

Two separate sentences, two separate concepts. Heck, I even had a paragraph gap in there for good measure :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh... Well in that case I am totally confused by your usage of mortality. This is the only definition I know. I had never heard it used in any other context. I had thought you meant morality in that you feel that you compromised your morality by the compromises you had to make when working in the industry but now you can have an integrity in your games that you couldn't before. Irregardless as it doesn't really matter (and I know most people don't enjoy semantic discussion/debates/tomfoolery like I do) I am glad you have rediscovered you love of making games and are not willing to let it go. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Oh... Well in that case I am totally confused by your usage of mortality. This is the only definition I know. I had never heard it used in any other context. I had thought you meant morality in that you feel that you compromised your morality by the compromises you had to make when working in the industry. Irregardless as it doesn't really matter (and I know most people don't enjoy semantic discussion/debates/tomfoolery like I do) I am glad you have rediscovered you love of making games and are not willing to let it go. :)
Sar...I love you man, but have you been drinking? :)

Dude, yes, I was referring to my own finite lifespan as being the only limiting factor in me continuing to make games.

Again...separate sentences :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

*facepalm*

Sorry. I was just having a moment. It all makes sense now. That's a little embarrassing. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:*facepalm*

Sorry. I was just having a moment. It all makes sense now.
Oh good. I was beginning to read my own post over and over again as questions were arising as to whether my last acid trip had permanently rewired my brain to see one word when I had actually written another.

That's a load off :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

No it is most definitely I that needs to be consider my intake of mind altering substances. ;)

In any case I hope that your mortality does not begin dictating terms to you anytime in the near future.

And that is the oddest way to wish someone good health and long life that I can think of at the moment. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:And that is the oddest way to wish someone good health and long life that I can think of at the moment. :)
Hehe...thanks. I doubt I'm headed for either however, as I think it will be clear to anyone who follow these forums that I don't exactly take care of myself ;)

Ten years I can probably bank on. I'll be rather surprised however if I'm still around when Tom's son reaches legal drinking age :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Shengji wrote:
Detritus wrote:heart of stone
You see, this is why I don't understand the crap people write about him, all I ever see is one of the most decent people I have ever met on the internet - strongly principled and with a sense of humour that would curl a handlebar moustache - but when it comes down to it, thoroughly decent!
I thoroughly agree, and once again I've made a terrible joke that was utterly misunderstood. Maybe I should just shut up for a while...
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Anyhow, here's the link to the mod if you or anyone ever wants it. Link

Just put it in the jar like you would BTW and delete META-INF, and it should allow all players to step up 1 block instead of the default 1/2 a block.

And yes, due to this being a baseclass edit on EntityLiving, which BTW also modifies, I can not make it work for BTW (or rather it may be possible, and I'm just too much of a newb to fiqure it out).

Edit: I forgot to mention that this will likely only work with Vanilla, or Modloader mods which don't affect EntityPlayer(assuming Modloader itself doesn't modify that class...)
Last edited by DNoved1 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

FlowerChild wrote:If I do something like this though, I put it on Tom to raise his kid right and make sure that he doesn't wind up posting entitled compatibility requests to my suggestions forum in a decade or so ;)
Wow. I'm...speechless honestly. I told my wife that you were considering helping, and she was like, "Awww, tell him we'll post pictures." And yes, my child is definitely going to understand that no one owes him anything, especially those people in the world who are nice enough to share with others in their creative endeavors.
DNoved1 wrote:.....

Anyhow, here's the link to the mod if you or anyone ever wants it. Link

Just put it in the jar like you would BTW and delete META-INF, and it should allow all players to step up 1 block instead of the default 1/2 a block.

And yes, due to this being a baseclass edit on EntityLiving, which BTW also modifies, I can not make it work for BTW (or rather it may be possible, and I'm just too much of a newb to fiqure it out).
Thank you so much for this. I realize this was probably a menial task to make something like this, but it still means the world to me that you were willing to spend that time.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Sorry for the double post. But I thought everyone involved might like to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUHpFkMoppw

Thanks everyone!