Help with vine farms

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Kmand

Help with vine farms

Post by Kmand »

Hello,

I'm in the process of building a mob trap for the first time and I just realized how many vine traps I'm going to need. So I built a simple vine farm:
Spoiler
Show
The trouble is that I'm getting really low rates from this thing. Is there some way of making the vines grow faster, like letting them grow longer or something? Or is the only way to add more saws and vines?
Educated_Fool

Re: Help with vine farms

Post by Educated_Fool »

Unfortunately, there is no way to speed up those grow-rates. A one block tall vine will grow just as fast as a longer one.
The only solution AFAIK is indeed adding more saws and vines ;)
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I faced the same problem as you in my world, and the mobtrap was massive, needing over 7 stacks of vines per level, and over 10 levels. I had around 4 units the same as yours, using saws and a waterflow. However, as a temporary measure, if you have acess to a lot of soul urns and Block Dispensers, you can easily set up big farms with no need to mess around with waterflow. And it's vertically stackable.
I'll go grab a pic:
Spoiler
Show

A simple line of block dispensers with nothing in front of them. Once the vines grow they activate the lens, turning off the Detector block, and the BD sucks the vines in. Since it can't put them back out because there isn't a block in front of it, the system resets.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Vines will grow on multiple surfaces. What i mean is that adjacent surfaces of different blocks that surround a central chamber should accelerate vine growth rate.

My vine growth systems tend to be vertical rather than horizontal so as to capitalize offa the multiple growth planes.

Basically make a rather deep 1x1 x 20 or 1x1x 30 or whatever depth that's reasonable and apply vines to to each wall face independently and at different heights( otherwise they will replace the vine accrosss). Allow some time for the vines to grow and they will grow adjacent.

I tested this a few months ago and multiple plane vine growth was much faster then allowing the vines to grow down a single surface. The set up time is the only problem.

I'll try to get some pics later.

edit Oh yeah stagger your saws to preserve the growth segments.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I personally used a checkboard pattern to let the vines grow as fast as possible. The downside was that they got stuck on the blocks, a workaround would be to use more saws and put the vines on the block opposite, but... damn son, that's a lot of saws.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Also one drawback of my system is that ivy, in item form, will sometimes get caught on the block below the saw so it is not 100 % efficient but since there aren't really any inputs needed for growth i tend to ignore that.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

A friend of mine has this set up at his 'base'

A turntable, a saw, and 4 vines.
Spoiler
Show
Powered from bellow and above.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Rawny wrote:A friend of mine has this set up at his 'base'

A turntable, a saw, and 4 vines.
Spoiler
Show
Powered from bellow and above.
I'm quite surprised that works, actually. Pretty sure FC changed it so gearboxes would blow in a setup like that, at least. Sure makes it a circular saw though :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: I'm quite surprised that works, actually. Pretty sure FC changed it so gearboxes would blow in a setup like that, at least. Sure makes it a circular saw though :P
No...they blow if you have Axles coming in from the side of the Saw, for obvious reasons.

With the setup pictured, you're turning the Saw on the same axis as the Axle powering it, which is fine (not entirely realistic, but I think a good middle ground), and I believe that works for just about any mechanical device in the mod.
Kmand

Post by Kmand »

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm hoping this will alleviate the problem somewhat:
Spoiler
Show
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

There is something about a giant wall of gearboxes that always makes me smile. It s not always the most elegant solution but its the one i often choose
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!