Flower's Dev Diary (Week Of Jan 14th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Flower's Dev Diary (Week Of Jan 14th)

Post by FlowerChild »

Another week, another round of feature development (for real this time!) :)

As always, rules for this thread:

-DO NOT post suggestions.
-DO NOT critique unreleased features. Wait until you've had a chance to try them before passing judgement.

With that out of the way, let's open with an in-game screenshot:
Spoiler
Show
Yes, that's right, beacons are back and better than ever :)

I've been spending the last few days largely working on totally revamping the way beacons work in-game. As we've discussed extensively on these forums before, vanilla beacons are hela-lame. They had a ton of potential in them, and I think many of us were rather disappointed when they released with a thud rather than a splash.

So, I've basically been reworking them from the ground up to turn them into both difficult to acquire and actually useful "end game" content. Some of what's gone into that, I've already shared. Other parts I am keeping to myself, but now, having most of it already working in-game, I will say this: it's hela-cool :)

At present though, I need to tackle a bit of a technical challenge involving file handling, which long-term followers of the mod will know is one of my most hated areas of programming. Some of what I already have working relies on the ability to save global data that is specific to a dimension. I already ran into this with Hardcore Chests, before I changed them to have an inventory that wasn't specific to the dimension the player is in, but I brain-farted while developing this and forgot entirely about MC not really storing such information, at least not in a way that is easy for the mod to access.

Basically, the problem boils down to that with my changes, some of the effects of beacons will be *global*, as in they affect the entire dimension in which the beacon is placed. Hence, I need to be able to track and store when they are active separately from the beacons themselves which may not be in loaded chunks at any given time, and thus the game would have no other way of knowing about them. You can kinda think of it like the way eyes of ender go towards strongholds, even if the strongholds themselves aren't loaded, because a global list is maintained of their position, except in this case, I need that data to be dimension specific, whereas if you think about it, you'll realize that there's no such global data associated with the Nether or End in MC (I guess that gives a minor spoiler in that beacons will work reliably in both the Nether and the End once I'm done ;) ).

So, looks like I'll be writing up a little custom file handling code for the mod today so that BTW will have its own save files embedded within the vanilla ones that will keep track of any such data that I need now or in the future. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but I do believe that in this case it is worth it, as I *really* like how the associated functionality works in game and the long term ramifications I predict it having on gameplay.

From the above though, I think you guys will get the idea here that I'm going pretty whole-hog on these beacons :)

Anyways, that's where I'm at right now. I'm actually having a lot of fun developing this feature as it feels really good to be back in the saddle after the last month or so of drama. Plus, it's just a fun little feature that I'm finding is inspiring *me* to play the game and collect the various resources needed to build an array of beacons within my base, which is always a good sign that I'm doing something right ;)
Mason11987

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week Of Jan 14th)

Post by Mason11987 »

Oh wow, very excited to see another dev diary. Thanks for keeping us up to date. can't wait to build my first beacon once you make them worth it :).
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Really looking forward to see that new beacons features. Hope you get that file handling done soon, I also hate to program that kind of parts so I do understand you.

S.W.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Wow FC, that sounds amazing. Sounds like there will be good incentive for players on my server to pool our resources to make some of these global beacons. I'm really excited to see what you've come up with.
mikeyagoto

Post by mikeyagoto »

I feel like this well make a very interesting form of interaction in anarchy play, if the beacon gives a power globally and if they are individual (as in only apply to the creator which Is just a guess) then it will be so important to be able to defend your base, not just hide it, because the beacon can be viewed from far away, I love it!

Thanks for what could be my favorite feature ever!

Mikeyagoto
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

Oh good lord that sounds like its gonna be awesome ^^!!!!!
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

mikeyagoto wrote:I feel like this well make a very interesting form of interaction in anarchy play, if the beacon gives a power globally and if they are individual (as in only apply to the creator which Is just a guess) then it will be so important to be able to defend your base, not just hide it, because the beacon can be viewed from far away, I love it!
Hehe...yes, SMP/anarchy interactions are definitely a big part of how I've designed these things. There's going to be a big risk/reward aspect to building them in such an environment, way beyond what you guys are probably considering at the moment ;)
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

mikeyagoto wrote:I feel like this well make a very interesting form of interaction in anarchy play, if the beacon gives a power globally and if they are individual (as in only apply to the creator which Is just a guess) then it will be so important to be able to defend your base, not just hide it, because the beacon can be viewed from far away, I love it!
I sense that hydraulic despotism on anarchy servers could become a reality. That might be really fun. However we'll have to see what possibilities arise after release.

FC's made some statements about how it searches for effects to apply. I do guess that distance is a little faster than a string compare, but both are certainly possible.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
mikeyagoto

Post by mikeyagoto »

FlowerChild wrote:
Hehe...yes, SMP/anarchy interactions are definitely a big part of how I've designed these things. There's going to be a big risk/reward aspect to building them in such an environment, way beyond what you guys are probably considering at the moment ;)
This

Makes me even more excited, I love how much you have focused on making anarchy as fun and unique as cooperative is in the same mod, the depth of everything you add is amazing.

Thank you,

Mikeyagoto
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

An interesting use (or possible exploit depending on your outlook) of this would be to set one up near your base on a timer that enables and disables it via some pistons or something like that. Then if you're away from your base you can periodically check if you're getting the bonus. If it changes then you know your chunk got loaded and you can rush back to catch someone trying to make it to your base.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

One thing to note: I said global "effects", not "bonuses". Not the same thing :)

I think you guys may still be thinking in terms of vanilla beacons a bit too much.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:One thing to note: I said global "effects", not "bonuses". Not the same thing :)

I think you guys may still be thinking in terms of vanilla beacons a bit too much.
Well I assumed it would be something unique from the regular beacons, but I also thought it might be something that would be noticeable to the player in a short time if it's disabled. But perhaps it would be more subtle, and my idea wouldn't be feasible. Oh well, I'll wait and play around, like I said I've never actually built a beacon yet :D.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:One thing to note: I said global "effects", not "bonuses". Not the same thing :)

Ooh, if there's a beacon that will increase mob spawn rate, I may just have to change my pants.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Ooooh, I hadn't considered that. I'll refrain from typing out the half dozen possibilities that just popped into my head since they could be construed as suggestions. :-)

This will be fun.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Ooh, if there's a beacon that will increase mob spawn rate, I may just have to change my pants.
No suggestions in the dev diary threads please.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Please let me have a beacon atop a pyramid of poo. lol
Edit: I'll build one on poo even if it doesn't do anything. :-P

Glad you got your groove back FC. Sorry you have all this drama. You don't deserve it after bringing the community this masterpiece of a mod.

~Rob
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Global?? O.o

But you said not bonuses... Hm. Maybe it just means there will be some way to locate distant beacons even in unloaded chunks like you can with strongholds. That means it wouldn't be safe to build a beacon anywhere on an anarcy server even it you went out 20+ km
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Glad to see your motivation being slowly nursed back to health man.

I won't comment on the beacons much, other to say that I'm sure they will feel right.

But seriously, don't miss the opportunity of forcing people to make dung pyramids :P

I also want to comment that I really love the way your world looks. It has that archaic early beta/alpha feel, with stairs being cobble blocks and that general cobblyness, and that profound effect on the environment that is the result of "industrialisation" (I know you are a fan of industrial aesthetics, and I'm willing to bet you're into steampunk too ;])
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yay! We have mod and dimension specific save files!

For those interested in such things, with the next release you'll start finding "FCWorld.dat" files in your save directories.

The one in the root of a save applies to the overworld. Those in the dimension directories ("DIM-1" and "DIM1") apply to the Nether and End. They of course do not interfere in any way with the vanilla aspects of the saves themselves, so no need to worry about world corruption or what have you.

While necessary for the functionality I want with the beacons, these should also come in very handy in the future. There's been several times in the past that I had a desire for this kind of global data, but never figured it was worth the pain in the ass to do the work I just did and the mind numbing drudgery of working on file handling code ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Congrats man :]

If I understand correctly, this allows for stuff to happen even if the chunk they originate from is not loaded, to put it in layman's terms. This certainly looks like it opens new possibilities :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

That is some pretty fantastic stuff!
FlowerChild wrote:been several times in the past that I had a desire for this kind of global data
You are not the only one.
How friendly will this be for additional data/files for an addon mod?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Congrats man :]

If I understand correctly, this allows for stuff to happen even if the chunk they originate from is not loaded, to put it in layman's terms. This certainly looks like it opens new possibilities :]
Yup, as well as tracking other global state, such as whether the player has gotten past a certain point in the tech tree and such, which is the context I was thinking of it in the past.

Like, to give you a vague example, it would allow me to spawn a new mob type or whatever should the player have already built a specific thing, or what have you. Or perhaps villagers only sell specific goods once a player has already obtained those goods through other means.

It basically opens up the possibility of global changes taking place based on the player's actions, which is good stuff :)

Most of the work involved was just digging through the vanilla code and figuring out what happens where, since I haven't touched the save code much in the past. Once I figured all that out it was relatively straight forward, and will be a breeze to expand upon in the future if I so desire.
Ethinolicbob wrote: How friendly will this be for additional data/files for an addon mod?
Not at all unfortunately. I wrote it to be BTW specific, but if there's a desire for it, I may expand it in the future so that add-on authors can take advantage of it.

For now though, I don't want to divert attention from the task at hand by working on a general purpose approach to it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Yup, as well as tracking other global state, such as whether the player has gotten past a certain point in the tech tree and such, which is the context I was thinking of it in the past.

Like, to give you a vague example, it would allow me to spawn a new mob type or whatever should the player have already built a specific thing, or what have you. Or perhaps villagers only sell specific goods once a player has already obtained those goods through other means.

It basically opens up the possibility of global changes taking place based on the player's actions, which is good stuff :)
*drools* So... Awesome....

Hey wait a second. I thought your plan was finishing up BTW so that you could move onto RTH. Not getting excited over new possibilities in BTW... *looks at flower suspiciously*... What's going on here???
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:*drools* So... Awesome....

Hey wait a second. I thought your plan was finishing up BTW so that you could move onto RTH. Not getting excited over new possibilities in BTW... *looks at flower suspiciously*... What's going on here???
Yes, but that involves "wrapping up" BTW to make it what I consider to be a complete game experience, which is where this kind of thing might come in very handy.

Also, while I'm working on RTH, especially if I go the full game route, it's highly likely I'll want to take a break now and again to work on BTW features as that would give me a chance to work on gameplay rather than be tied up constantly in engine related work, since, as I've said many times, gameplay is definitely what I prefer doing.

There are also some features which also just suit BTW more than they will RTH. Like this beacon thing won't apply to RTH at all, so I may as well put it in BTW.

Anyways, as I've said: I'm not going to be "abandoning" BTW by a long shot, just shifting my focus. Plus, at present, just being back on the horse and working on real content is doing me a world of good, so I'm just rolling with it until I feel I'm back on top of my game. The last month of drama wore me down so much that the thought of starting a brand new project just tires me out at present, so I obviously need to get my mojo back before I start moving forward on that.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: No suggestions in the dev diary threads please.
Heh, sorry, got too excited ;P