Serious Request: More sources of poo.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
empath

Serious Request: More sources of poo.

Post by empath »

So, starting a new game, after a few hours, I had a hemp farm going, a mill, a portal, hibachis and cauldron, a full set of armor and tools, etc.

Now I'd like to get into mechanical power.

In order to do that, I need either a water wheel or a windmill.

To get a waterwheel, I need to get either glue or slime.

I've spent about 4-5 hours now looking for slimes and have found 2. I need eight.

Fair enough, forget the slime, I'll get glue, for which I need a bellows for my cauldron.

For which I need tanned leather and a saw.

For which I need dung.

Great, wolves are the other thing I can't find in this save, after spending 3 hours looking.

So basically, a mod that was supposed to save us from wolves instead forces us to use wolves to advance, since apparently they are the only creatures that poop on the entire world.

Anyway, I'm just going to start a new save game and keep restarting until i find wolves in the first 5 minutes, its either that or use two many items, and I don't want to do that..
PatrickSJ

Re: Serious Request: More sources of poo.

Post by PatrickSJ »

Do to any dense piece of timber and climb high. Kill all friendly mobs in sight. After 2-3 such slaughters a pack of wolves will usually spawn.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Yes, finding wolves can be a bit difficult in some worlds but keep in mind that BTW is meant to be an endgame mod and you only need a few wolves for dung (if you keep them in the dark and well fed) so chances are if you come across at least one or two during your travels then that will help. It will however mean that you might have to leave the safety and comfort of your base to brave the wilderness again (or just play on peaceful when searching for wolves) if your base is in a low wolf spawning zone. Some biomes are more likely to spawn wolves than other and they tend to spawn more at dusk and dawn than during day or night.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
screally

Post by screally »

empath wrote: I've spent about 4-5 hours now looking for slimes and have found 2. I need eight.
Do you know how slime game mechanics work?
empath

Post by empath »

I do, and I have a huge cave system that's at diamond level and lit up, but slimes have only spawned down there twice.

Aside from that, manipulating the slime spawning system to generate them is just tedious busy work and not fun, and neither is going and killing every living thing in the forest 30 times in a row in the hopes of spawning wolves, which are pretty much useless except at poo generators.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

empath wrote:I do, and I have a huge cave system that's at diamond level and lit up, but slimes have only spawned down there twice.

Aside from that, manipulating the slime spawning system to generate them is just tedious busy work and not fun, and neither is going and killing every living thing in the forest 30 times in a row in the hopes of spawning wolves, which are pretty much useless except at poo generators.
That's a bit like saying hemp is useless except for getting hemp fibers. Dung is an important part of the tech tree; and once you have one wolf, you're more or less set anyways.

as for the slime thing, just go where you last saw slimes, plant any TNT you have around the area and detonate it. Then as you wonder around your caves, occasionally switch it to peaceful to despawn any other hostile mobs - it might not be fun as such, but if you're having trouble finding wolves and slimes you have to compromise somewhere.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
empath

Post by empath »

Or I could just stop playing the mod. I'm not saying he has to do this, I'm just saying it as an annoying thing about the mod, and it's killing the fun for me.

Just a statement of opinion about the game. You guys can take it or leave it. Other than that, I think the mod is brilliant.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Wolves are extremely common man. Once I spot a forest biome, it's usually less than a few minutes, 10 at most to see wolves there.

If you have trouble finding them, just go exploring and pay attention to forested areas.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Step One: Find some slimes.

Step Two: Dig out area where slimes are found to mythic proportions.

Step Three: Light new mythically proportioned area well.

Step Four: ?????????????

Step Five: SLIMY PROFIT!

Or just take your time, grab a map and a compass, and hunt those wolves like the lesser beasts they are.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Or use this handy tool to find out which chunks can spawn slimes. I've got a nice automatic slime farm that's given me more stacks of slimeballs than I know what to do with :)
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Urian wrote:Or use this handy tool to find out which chunks can spawn slimes. I've got a nice automatic slime farm that's given me more stacks of slimeballs than I know what to do with :)
Oh my, that IS a handy tool. I learned sumptin' new today. =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Miton2011

Post by Miton2011 »

So, I thought Notch removed slimes? They're just kinda rare?
My mother told me that if I became a soldier, I would become a General. If I became a musician, I would be a rock star. Instead, I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso.

-Picasso
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Miton2011 wrote:So, I thought Notch removed slimes? They're just kinda rare?
I believe he actually made them far more common than they used to be.
Miton2011

Post by Miton2011 »

So what is the general minimum room size that slimes spawn? And at about what depth?
My mother told me that if I became a soldier, I would become a General. If I became a musician, I would be a rock star. Instead, I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso.

-Picasso
Urian

Post by Urian »

Slimes only spawn below level 16 and they need 1*1*1 space to spawn. They have more rules for their spawning than other mobs though, check it out here
screally

Post by screally »

screally wrote:
empath wrote: I've spent about 4-5 hours now looking for slimes and have found 2. I need eight.
Do you know how slime game mechanics work?
Urian wrote:Slimes only spawn below level 16 and they need 1*1*1 space to spawn. They have more rules for their spawning than other mobs though, check it out here
Oh look, same link in the same topic twice...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You know, sometimes I get annoyed at all the various requests I get for change this, or change that...

Sometimes I manage to take a step back and crack up laughing when I realize that:

People are demanding more shit in Minecraft.

Hehe...life is good :)
empath

Post by empath »

Well, on my 7th attempt at a new world, I managed to find a wolf, managed to kill a few skeletons so I could tame it, managed to keep it alive long enough to get 3 dung, went to the nether, got the hibachi grill going, made some tanned leather, made a saw to cut some wood panels, and I think you know where this is going...

killed my wolf with the saw.

Stupid wolves...

(PS, i'm not really demanding, just pointing out a possible source of annoyance and tedium in the new tech tree, forcing people who downloaded a mod because they thought that minecraft could do 'better than wolves' to actually feed and care for wolves to use the mod is a special kind of sadistic.)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

FlowerChild wrote:You know, sometimes I get annoyed at all the various requests I get for change this, or change that...

Sometimes I manage to take a step back and crack up laughing when I realize that:

People are demanding more shit in Minecraft.

Hehe...life is good :)
The more you post, the more I grow to love you, Flower.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

empath wrote:Well, on my 7th attempt at a new world, I managed to find a wolf, managed to kill a few skeletons so I could tame it, managed to keep it alive long enough to get 3 dung, went to the nether, got the hibachi grill going, made some tanned leather, made a saw to cut some wood panels, and I think you know where this is going...

Stupid wolves...

(PS, i'm not really demanding, just pointing out a possible source of annoyance and tedium in the new tech tree, forcing people who downloaded a mod because they thought that minecraft could do 'better than wolves' to actually feed and care for wolves to use the mod is a special kind of sadistic.)
We don't lock wolves in dark rooms for our own fun you know - it's for their safety.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Stormweaver wrote:
empath wrote:Well, on my 7th attempt at a new world, I managed to find a wolf, managed to kill a few skeletons so I could tame it, managed to keep it alive long enough to get 3 dung, went to the nether, got the hibachi grill going, made some tanned leather, made a saw to cut some wood panels, and I think you know where this is going...

Stupid wolves...

We don't lock wolves in dark rooms for our own fun you know - it's for their safety.
At least we leave them each other for company.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote: At least we leave them each other for company.
I don't. I'm a believer in individual cubicles for each wolf to prevent their poo landing on each other's pedestals.

It's all about maximum poo output man...
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

I started a new legit game with the seed "hawaii" for a chain of islands using just BTW, Premium Wood and the Zeppelin mod. On the island I decided to take residence on, I built a large palisade around the edge, high enough and with an overhang to keep everything out.

I went topside on the dawn of my 7th day to find a dozen or so wolves scampering about. Only had enough bones to tame 2, but they've just been chilling in my underground home while I've been working, and I already have 3 dung. I don't really need much more than that, to be honest.

Patience and exploration will reward you with some furry companions, then you just need to squeeze the crap out of them.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

for the heck of it i went with "Better Than Wolves" as the seed, try it, go north and in the forest left of the mountain (which begs for being used as a massive entrance) i found 10! wolves on day one, too many to let pass, so TMI'ed me some bones and got them, started working up the techtree of standard minecraft, stone-coal-iron, you know the drill, went to collect some more wood and hemp seeds to get cracking at BTW, and i find another 3 wolves, so now my base is filled with poop, and i dont even feed them xD

("Better Than Wolves" as a seed has some cool looking mountains, overhangs, and other stuff, do check it out :P)

EDIT: @ Deepsniper i'll make you an off-topic thread right away then :P
EDIT2: link to my post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=706
Last edited by Banpower1 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Banpower1 wrote:for the heck of it i went with "Better Than Wolves" as the seed, try it, go north and in the forest left of the mountain (which begs for being used as a massive entrance) i found 10! wolves on day one, too many to let pass, so TMI'ed me some bones and got them, started working up the techtree of standard minecraft, stone-coal-iron, you know the drill, went to collect some more wood and hemp seeds to get cracking at BTW, and i find another 3 wolves, so now my base is filled with poop, and i dont even feed them xD

("Better Than Wolves" as a seed has some cool looking mountains, overhangs, and other stuff, do check it out :P)
Firstly this is off topic. Secondly, please make a new thread in either the discussion sub-forum or the off topic one with a bunch of new pictures, because i want to see!!!!