New Server Discussion

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

How would you want the server to be?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Multiplayer Skyblock
38%
Terra Firma Craft
62%
There are too many servers already, don't make a new one.
No votes

Total votes: 21
Splee999

New Server Discussion

Post by Splee999 »

So, I'm considering hosting a new server for the BTW community, and I wanted to gauge interest in it. To start with, it would be a lower population server (10ish slots?) and would be cooperative play. However, I've had two ideas for mods to run on it.

First, I had an idea for a multiplayer skyblock map where each player could have his own skyblock to build on thanks to the magic of Command Blocks. It would also use BTW and BWR to facilitate the renewable nature of skyblock, and I (the admin) could make trades with players to get unobtainable resources (like diamonds). All of the skyblocks could be roughly linked by the nether.

Additionally, there's been talk of a Terra Firma Craft server. This sounds like an interesting mod, and I'd be willing to try it out with everyone else here.

So, let me know what you think of either server, and feel free to ask any questions about either.

Thanks,

Splee999
Last edited by Splee999 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveYanakov

Re: New Server Discussion

Post by DaveYanakov »

A BWR skyblock network could be very interesting to see. I would recommend putting the blocks somewhat close together to make finding each other easier as the lack of reference points can be a hinderance otherwise.
Better is the enemy of Good
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

DaveYanakov wrote:A BWR skyblock network could be very interesting to see. I would recommend putting the blocks somewhat close together to make finding each other easier as the lack of reference points can be a hinderance otherwise.
Yeah. My thought is to put the blocks barely within visual range of each other in the nether, (out of sight of each other in the overworld) with some kind of blaze spawner fortress in the middle. My hope would be to see separate skyblocks all linked through the nether.
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

When you say "skyblock" are you referring to a general style of survival map or THE Skyblock?

:edit:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/600 ... -skyblock/
Last edited by Kombucha on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

To the above: "THE skyblock," I believe.

I, honestly, would prefer the skyblock one, seeing a that would be a fun challenge, rather than that provided by TFC, which, while fun, is more of a survival simulator than a game, let alone a sandbox one, like minecraft. I would love to see a TFC server up, but if it came between that and a BTW/BWR skyblock, I would prefer that. I also, don't think you should worry about the number of servers already out there, since there really isn't any other public server for BTW fans like this.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Kombucha wrote:When you say "skyblock" are you referring to a general style of survival map or THE Skyblock?

:edit:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/600 ... -skyblock/
Okay, I think I should explain myself a little more. My thought is to have everyone spawn on a central platform with multiple doorways. Each doorway would contain a Command Block that would whisk you away to your very own sky block that you could start building on. The skyblocks would be far enough away from each other to discourage linking, but once players got to the Nether, they would probably be close enough to each other to link if they wanted. In other words, the server would essentially be multiple copies of "THE Skyblock" all running at once.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

All right, thanks for the input everyone. After a bit of research and experimentation, I've decided to do a Skyblock-style map. I'll have more details on that as I make the map.

On a related topic, does anyone know how to change the nether generation/use MCedit to completely fill in the Nether with air? I've used a custom flatland map that will entirely fill in the overworld with air, but I haven't had any luck with the Nether. Any ideas, anyone?
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

When I get my new rig I will definitely play on your server :D
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Splee999 wrote:All right, thanks for the input everyone. After a bit of research and experimentation, I've decided to do a Skyblock-style map. I'll have more details on that as I make the map.

On a related topic, does anyone know how to change the nether generation/use MCedit to completely fill in the Nether with air? I've used a custom flatland map that will entirely fill in the overworld with air, but I haven't had any luck with the Nether. Any ideas, anyone?
MCEdit is the only thing I know of that will do that. There might be generation mods to do that, but I don't know of any.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!