musing on RTH

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Talrea

musing on RTH

Post by Talrea »

with your new project RTH will you be able to get past alot of the restriction encoded into minecraft and allow you a far greater freedom of block behavour and ideas?

I was just considering this as minecraft is an ongoing growing program i;m guessing alot of the underlying code is pretty intergrated into everything else, and would be normally inconceivable to think of altering.
Stormweaver

Re: musing on RTH

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, the idea of 8-bit metadata (256 possibilities per block) has already been mentioned, if it's feasible.

Think about it. Sixteen colours of Wool blocks, Wool Panels, Wool stairs...all in one block. It would be glorious.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Stormweaver wrote:Well, the idea of 8-bit metadata (256 possibilities per block) has already been mentioned, if it's feasible.

Think about it. Sixteen colours of Wool blocks, Wool Panels, Wool stairs...all in one block. It would be glorious.
*drools*

THAT my friend, means its time to make some epic pixel art, oooorrrrrrr just a really cool looking throne. Next to my hibachi setup.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The Lord of Brick wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Well, the idea of 8-bit metadata (256 possibilities per block) has already been mentioned, if it's feasible.

*drools*

THAT my friend, means its time to make some epic pixel art, oooorrrrrrr just a really cool looking throne.
Or 256 colors of wool ;) Now THAT is pixel art.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:Or 256 colors of wool ;) Now THAT is pixel art.
And think of how gloriously hardcore the sheep could then be!!!!!
Spoiler
Show
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

FlowerChild wrote: And think of how gloriously hardcore the sheep could then be!!!!!
Spoiler
Show

That spoiler is priceless.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

dawnraider wrote:
The Lord of Brick wrote:

*drools*

THAT my friend, means its time to make some epic pixel art, oooorrrrrrr just a really cool looking throne.
Or 256 colors of wool ;) Now THAT is pixel art.
Spoiler
Show
Edityness:MASSIVE lols on the below l
\/
Last edited by The Lord of Brick on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

XantyZon wrote:That spoiler is priceless.
Just don't post it on MCF as it's obviously unsuitable for sensitive viewers, by their new standards ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

My biggest question about rth (Which I know that teasing bastard won't answer ;p) is how much of the base mechanics will be changed. Will hunger be removed? More limitations on movement? Shorter block-placing distance? By going this route, he will have absolute control. It's terrifying, in a very exciting way.
Especially in bed.
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

FlowerChild wrote:Just don't post it on MCF as it's obviously unsuitable for sensitive viewers, by their new standards ;)
I definitely won't post it on the MCF but FC would you mind if I sent it to a friend that years ago I convinced that he had slept with a sheep when he was drunk. One year I gave him a "blow up" sheep for his birthday. I'm sure he won't appreciate this as much as I do.

on topic- Thinking about all the way FC has been held back by working around VMC and still made BTW as amazing as it is. Now with a clean palate for RTH my mind spins thinking about what is to come next.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:
dawnraider wrote:Or 256 colors of wool ;) Now THAT is pixel art.
And think of how gloriously hardcore the sheep could then be!!!!!
Spoiler
Show
I laughd so hard when I saw that. That didn't even cross my mind. *nerdy voice, don broken glasses* "Yes! I got the yellow 17 sheep!" "Would you trade it for a purple 2?" "NO! This one cost me enough breeding harnesses to take over the world!" (Maybe that's how it'll end ;)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

FlowerChild wrote:
XantyZon wrote:That spoiler is priceless.
Just don't post it on MCF as it's obviously unsuitable for sensitive viewers, by their new standards ;)
Or post it with this underneath:
Spoiler
Show
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Bwahahah ! Epic :)
I just bought one of their shirt. Had to :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: Bwahahah ! Epic :)
I just bought one of their shirt. Had to :)
Now, if you just got my "sticky" joke in the official server thread, I'm sure you'd be laughing even harder ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Malheureusement parfois la barrière de la langue est trop grande ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Malheureusement parfois la barrière de la langue est trop grande ;)

Hehe...fair enough. Can you think of an activity that involves breathing heavy and results in a sticky substance being produced as the grand finale? Therein lays the humor :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

After a quick search on "Breathing heavy", yeah, I got it pretty quickly :p
For some reason I did not match the English expression with the French one ^^
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...fair enough. Can you think of an activity that involves breathing heavy and results in a sticky substance being produced as the grand finale? Therein lays the humor :)
Pooping?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MrLemon wrote: Pooping?
Well, we've already had a discussion about the buoyancy of dung, may as well follow it up with one on its viscosity I suppose :)
someonetobe

Post by someonetobe »

Dung viscosity obvioulsy plays a central role in FC's RTH plans! Rejoice!

Perhaps he'll combine two successful sandbox building approches to create: Blocks of Goo.
I seek fond moments, not fond memories.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

All the talk about the possibility of 8-bit metadata is getting my inner nerd excited (does that sound as dirty as I think it does?)

I know at this point we don't know for sure if it's even possible. But I can't help but imagine the possibilities... Take dirt. With 8-bit metadata dirt could have so many more states. Tilled, fertilized, mud, cracked(dry), normal, grass (with different growth levels?), roots (have plant/tree roots running through it?), etc etc. All those states could have any number of implications as to their effect on interaction. I'm sure you guys' imaginations are running as crazy as mine is in anticipation. Or maybe I've just been playing too much DF lately, heh.

Anyway, I'm super excited for RTH. When you release the first teaser image of it, I can just imagine myself. I'll look like this:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

someonetobe wrote: Blocks of Goo.
Yes, that's right, you've discovered the REAL name of RTH:

World of Poo
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I have a question about RTH - as a Total Conversion, you have a lot more freedom as to the code. But am I right in thinking that you will still need to update to new versions of Vanilla? If so, does that mean that you are less likely to alter base mechanics since it will cause headaches further down the road?

Just curious :3 I have complete confidence in your vision - just wondering what constraints were still left, if any.
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

If I recall correctly, RTH will feature a unique environment and increased mob difficulty (?) but I'm curious (and hopeful) about there being an emphasis on mechanical construction/automation similar to BTW.
abominare

Post by abominare »

I've always figured that between Fc's musings on changing block as simple as dirt and his hints that mobs will become more dangerous, insinuates that in RTH we could expect mobs to be able to defeat different levels of building materials.

In the case of dirt, which is often the first material of a makeshift home/rabbit hole we could very well expect mobs to dig their own way to us hiding in the dirt. The aspect of having to rely on harder and harder levels of material to protect us from ever increasing mobs is something that excites me.