Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Xaedblade

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Xaedblade »

That's the spirit fc!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Good to hear that you'll be going ahead. Hopefully this supposed error isn't a problem.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

There's nothing in the 1.4.6 version I desperately want. Fireworks: Meh, why would I waste a diamond on a two second visual effect.
Thorns enchantment: Could be a nice little side enchant, but if it detracts from the possibility of getting more useful enchantments then NO.
3d items: Oooooo pretty. No.

I'm lovin' the "bollocks to it" FC, speaks volume indeed :D. I personally would have no issue with you not updating until 1.7, makes very little difference to me bud.

*EDIT* *cough*
Spoiler
Show
*cough*
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
devak

Post by devak »

Well 3D items already existed *in the form of block items* so the regular items not being 3D was just an oversight now corrected IMO.

Some of the ingredients for fireworks baffles me. Diamonds? really?

Fireworks are a nice visual effect, and from a sales POV i can totally understand why they added them, but i think it's just a little extra tidbit and it doesn't deserve such expensive ingredients.

I think it's main use could be signals, but as it requires gunpowder and gunpowder is high-tier in BTW, you might as well pop down a beacon....
abominare

Post by abominare »

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 9420673024

Redstone will apparently be able to recognize input strengths. I though the actual device was pretty interesting, perhaps they'll get into some red power territory as well.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Thank god i've held off on exploring my nether other then collecting some nether materials. I think i will delete my Dim-1 so i don't have to generate new chunks to get this ore.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

and 1.4.7 is in the pipeline http://mojang.com/2012/12/minecraft-1-4-7-pre-release/

The fixes are:

Fixed crash related to arrows fired from dispensers
Fixed a multiplayer crash when using fireworks without a fireworks star
Fixed long timeout when checking SRV records
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

And just like that they break beta 1.6.6's record, makes you wonder how much more of these updates we will be getting.
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
devak

Post by devak »

It seems that the snapshots have lost their use now.

I mean, they were introduced to never again have the 1.6 update extravaganza...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Relevant:
[17:36] <Grum> yes, it was designed for 1 player, for fun
[17:36] <Grum> now we have to somehow turn it into something that 100 players can do in the same way
[17:36] <Grum> oh and modify it
Seems like we know what's next on the agenda... MineCraft: The MMO
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

R.I.P. All my faith.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

Stormweaver wrote:
EpicAaron wrote:Finally decided to test out 1.4.6. The title that appears every time you switch items is getting very annoying, and it is unnecesary! Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to it?
There's an option in a config file to change it IIRC.

...why it's defaulted to 'on' is beyond me though.
Also, why there's a config file for the game, with options you can't access through the options menus is beyond me.
0 days without accident
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

coolio678 wrote:
There's an option in a config file to change it IIRC.

...why it's defaulted to 'on' is beyond me though.
Also, why there's a config file for the game, with options you can't access through the options menus is beyond me.[/quote]
This is probably because it takes some work to add the button to the options screen; at least more work than just adding the config option itself.

As for the feature itself, it was kind of cool when I first saw it, and could be useful for new players, but I think it would get annoying real fast.

And I agree that it would be nice if the snapshots actually served their purpose: finding bugs and squishing them before actual releases. The types of bugs present in the releases that are bad enough to necessitate new releases should have never made it that far if the prereleases were being used like they should.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

darahalian wrote:This is probably because it takes some work to add the button to the options screen; at least more work than just adding the config option itself.

Code: Select all

<Programmer Ranting>
Have looked at making my own GUI for a mod, I can confirm. It's a pain, and non trivial to add a simple button. Because Mojang is not using any programming libraries, instead they reinvent the wheel.

Code: Select all

</Programmer Ranting>
Sorry, nerd rage gets out of hand..

I too found the name popping up distracting. And have turned it off. Overall a very meh, update.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Upcoming: a daylight detector.
Another of the features announced at Minecon, the daylight detector: http://i.imgur.com/DmHt3.png
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Somethings tells me that I will use it as chocolate cake...
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wow. That kind of sucks. Our version is waaaay better, expecially since it uses blocks that alreadt exist with their own uses instead of one special-case block, which is just bad design. Not to mention that it looks like crap.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

... is it my imagination or that block only sending redstone signal 9(?) squares? looks like it might alter its output value during the day, if so that pretty much is the first block i know of with a lower strength signal.

i guess their serius aboput altering redstone.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Do you think if we hit mojang on the nose with some rolled up newspaper they'd stop adding bad things?

They're taking the problem solving bit out of redstone. Instead of 'How do I detect daylight' It's now 'Why should I bother'.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Stormweaver wrote:They're taking the problem solving bit out of redstone. Instead of 'How do I detect daylight' It's now 'Why should I bother'.
Exactly. There was already the solution of the villager day/night sensor. It wasn't as reliable but with enough villagers the probability of them all standing on presture plates while it's daytime goes down. It's a bit difficult to set up but that could be fixed by having villagers follow you if you're holding an emerald (like other passive mobs already follow you while holding wheat/seeds (is seeds just a BTW thing? I can't remember at this point)).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Itamarcu wrote:Upcoming: a daylight detector.
As an aside, man, I really hope that's placeholder artwork.

If not, it looks like not only are the newer features designed like they're from a sub-par mod, now they're beginning to look like them too.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I find it amusing that FlowerChild, who has stated artwork is not his forte, has been able to make much nicer looking versions of the recently oh so shitty MC additions, in this case it happened to be detector blocks, before that it was anvils.

I can understand cutting corners in code, but artwork? Really?
*sigh* oh well
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
ThePuzzleMasher

Post by ThePuzzleMasher »

Elevatator wrote:Somethings tells me that I will use it as chocolate cake...
I hoped that mojang would add more multi-purpose blocks... but not like this.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.
Gunnerman21 wrote:This will also make Link from the Zelda series cower in fear
Which I bet all those pottery making families will love
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

But how does it work? What is the logical explanation for why it works? All I see is a half-ass block to show off a new system that no one wanted to begin with.

Not to mention that it complicates redstone even more for beginners now. Redstone can travel a max of 15 blocks unless your are using "x", "y", and "z" and everything is powered when redstone is on, expect "a", "b", and "c" which does this when at a high signal, something else at other, and another thing at a low signal. Why Mojang is fixes something that is not broken? I don't think we will ever find out.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

So...redstone update. What do we know?
- Devices will emit reduced redstone signals, and be triggered by specific values of redstone signals
- Minecart detector rails will change output based apon weight of cart
- Light detector will change output based apon light level of block
- comparator allows comparison of redstone signals, and is designed as an 'enabler' for analogue redstone

Right now, the only bit that seems to have any design behind it is the detector rails, and they haven't been implemented yet. The light detectors could have easily been nerfed in such a way that an array of them would be required to accurately detect light levels, instead of only one being needed. The comparator is complicated in a silly way and is too specific for anything but direct interaction with the variable output blocks.

When they first mentioned all this, I was quietly confident that they would add in a couple of all-purpose redstone pieces, and a few blocks that changed behaviour in some circumstances (say, light level) and allow for creative building. Instead they're making it so the results people people have fun working towards are being made possibly from the word go, with no design required for anything but making it look pretty.

All we need for redstone manipulation is a pair of repeater type blocks, and going by the original naming, a redstone capacitor that only emits redstone if the input is high enough, and a redstone resistor that reduces redstone strength by a predetermined amount. Bah. Silly mojang.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.