Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Epsilon

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Epsilon »

MinecraftWiki wrote:Added, Blocks:
A pumpkin block, without the face. The previous pumpkin block has been renamed "Carved Pumpkin".
-Right-clicking a pumpkin block with shears will turn it into a carved pumpkin and make it spit out 4 pumpkin seeds.
I think I have heared that before... XD

link to wikisite
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Epsilon wrote: I think I have heared that before... XD
Well, that's weird :)

The pumpkin thing was always a bit odd mind you, and carving them is a much more natural progression, so I doubt it's anything more than a rather surprising coincidence.

EDIT: I was so fascinated by this that I just checked the change log, and it turns out this was added to Vanilla in a snapshot back in November. So, if anyone is psychic copying features, turns out it's me ;)

Source: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/17w47a
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Haha, that's amusing, although pumpkins only existing precarved was amusing by itself, and gave a weird creepy feeling to the mc world. Oh look, here are some pumpkins in an area noone has ever been before. Aaaand they have carved faces. :P

In other news, if only this was also part of vMC :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
devak

Post by devak »

FlowerChild wrote: The pumpkin thing was always a bit odd mind you, and carving them is a much more natural progression, so I doubt it's anything more than a rather surprising coincidence.
I thought you deliberately copied that feature. wow.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Is it just me, or does it seem like Mojang is slowly and poorly implementing BTW into vanilla minecraft? Previous updates added hoppers, BUDs and DBs, while this current update added a weak-ass campfire that can't even start fires and a saw that can process blocks into their partial equivalents (e.g. slabs, stairs). If the next update doesn't introduce soul bottling I will be sorely disappointed.

Also, the way they reworked the villager UI introduced a bug that allows you to stack boats. Not necessarily news, but pretty classic Mojang nonetheless.
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

I feel obligated to comment on the "Bad Omen" debuff you get when you kill an Illager patrol captain. I find it interesting that it encourages players to set up bases further away from villages lest you incur a raid just by going back to where you set up.

At most, if your main base is inside a village, it encourages you to have a backup base to work out of until the 1 hour and 20 minute debuff wears off, and I'm always a fan of encouraging multiple bases.

That being said, I also feel obligated to point out that Mojang screwed it up by treating it like a regular potion effect, meaning that you can just drink some milk and the effect is gone.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they left that last bit in.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ha, wanna talk screwing up? 15 mins of neon wtf signs popping from the top of your head towards the heavens.

https://youtu.be/59t5gr7DQtU

Seriously 1.14 has problems. Anyone playing vmc, wait on it.
War..
War never changes.

Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: Seriously 1.14 has problems. Anyone playing vmc, wait on it.
I don't actually play vMC, but do check out some youtube figures from time to time and boy were you right. A guy playing on the 'Hermitcraft' server spent two 30 minute episodes attempting to update his server without ruining everything, eventually resorting to some hacky solution that had to be loaded on server start-up before anything else.
MoRmEnGiL wrote: Ha, wanna talk screwing up? 15 mins of neon wtf signs popping from the top of your head towards the heavens.

https://youtu.be/59t5gr7DQtU
To be fair, this has been the case for the past few years now. I still understand the building part, but all the hopper-clocks, glitchy BUD switches, and arbitrary rules just leave me confused.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Maybe not the best place to put this, but it looks like the minecraft forums are going to be closed:

https://www.minecraftforum.net/news/607 ... nouncement

Good thing we have our safe heaven (hell?) here.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wow... that's interesting, and rather surprising. Not sure how much overhead can really be added by the forums relative to how successful the game has been overall, which seems to be the reason they're implying is behind this. Strange.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Speaking of the Minecraft forum, I just came across this announcement from a few months ago... yikes. Not sure if people around here knew about that, but I don't remember any discussion about it. Guessing that probably has something to do with the decision to kill it altogether.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Came across a critique of Minecraft and where it's been heading, which is very rare to see on YouTube. Link in the spoiler.
Apparently you are now punished for sleeping. Mojang actually punishes you for not skipping one of the only challenges left in the game. Wow.
Spoiler
Show
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Definitely a very good watch, and I agree on a lot of points. Mojang has spent so long adding random content that doesn't mean anything. Vanilla today has a lot of breadth but almost no depth. You can kill the dragon in a couple hours in vanilla. In Better than Wolves (post-AHHHH) it took me 600 to kill the dragon. There is no reason to do anything in vanilla and nothing the game has added has even remotely addressed that.

Minecraft held my attention for 4 months. Better than Wolves has held my attention for 8 years. No other game has ever done that. And that's because BTW actually adds depth to the game. There's a reason for everything, and while it is still a purely sandbox game, there's actually goals to it. Rather freeform goals but they require effort and make a real impact on the game. The game feels entirely different pre-crafting table, between crafting table and the nether, between nether and crucible, between crucible and anvil, between anvil and the end, and post-end. Each segment of the game has its own challenges and goals. Difficult survival and long-term goals are what makes Better than Wolves so good, and vanilla lacks both.

BTW also gives a real reason to build things. Like the video said, vanilla barely encourages building more than a hole in the ground but you can't do that in BTW. I love to build and I will fully admit that I go way overboard when I do so - standing at one side of my base the other side is not loaded - but everything still has a purpose.

I have more time in my current post-AHHHH world, let alone BTW as a whole, than any entire game besides Destiny 1 & 2 and Factorio. I think that's a testament to how good the game is.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

When i watched that video the other day, i thought that Better than wolves address pretty much every issue the author had with minecraft in some way, while being completely diffrent than the solution he offered.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Vmc now has flying turtles.

https://youtu.be/H5OEzQQfcOg?t=237

:P
War..
War never changes.

sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Looks like vmc now has (or is soon getting) some kind of sound sensor redstone component: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnH-Zo-M5Jg
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I'm actually really excited for the update coming, as the new caves look AMAZING. The mountains look cool too but that is still in progress so we don't know the final result. World height is almost definitely going up to be able to account for all that though, which is really cool.

The redstone thing is one that I just straight don't like though. The fact that it works in any direction without constraint I feel makes things too easy, there isn't enough constraint for me to find it interesting. The theming of the dark caves are really cool but I don't think you should be able to just pick up a plant from there and have it work in redstone contraptions. I'd much rather see it be from some sound-reactive material from down there actually applied to some sensible redstone components to make that happen.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Inatun

Post by Inatun »

I have to agree with Dawnraider about the new wireless redstone thing. To me, it seems like Mojang feels obligated to give players new and more powerful toys to play with every now and then, but they fail to really gate the new features behind anything meaningful. With what they've shown so far, the only thing the player has to do to get wireless redstone is just not wake the warden. Compared with the BTW version of wireless redstone, (the lens) the difference of difficulty to acquire is enormous. The clunkiness of redstone wiring should be seen as a challenge rather than a hindrance if you ask me, since it forces you to think creatively when working with it.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

For the record I don't think the sculker is going to be as useful as people make it to be. It is really short ranged and picks up a ton of noise.
War..
War never changes.

lion20777

Post by lion20777 »

Looks like Microsoft is forcing all Minecraft accounts to be attached to Microsoft accounts soon, which gives them an excuse to discontinue the 1.6 launcher. They actually updated the mcupdate Tumblr page for the first time in forever.

https://mcupdate.tumblr.com/

While Mojang referring to the new launcher that came into place after 1.5.2 as "the legacy launcher" is hilarious to me, I am concerned about the feasibility moving forward of easily running modified .jars such as Better Than Wolves. I've always used the 1.6 launcher because it just has better functionality and art style, so I'm a bit bummed that it will essentially become unusable—although I am unsure to what degree it will become unusable, whether it'll lock you out of you account or just function like the classic launcher where it always gives you the 'Play Offline' button.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Personally I would recommend using MultiMC as a launcher. It is far easier to modify the client, and by default keeps all instances completely isolated vs loading different versions in the same .minecraft folder unless you tell it otherwise.

MultiMC has also stated in an Official Post that they will be supporting Microsoft accounts once migration actually happens.
Get the Deco Addon here!
lion20777

Post by lion20777 »

Sounds pretty cool.
hanish

Post by hanish »

dawnraider wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:06 pm Personally I would recommend using MultiMC as a launcher. It is far easier to modify the client, and by default keeps all instances completely isolated vs loading different versions in the same .minecraft folder unless you tell it otherwise.minecraft apk
Offline compatibility?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Are you asking if it supports playing offline? If so yes, although at this point I would actually recommend Prism, which is a slightly nicer fork of MultiMC
Get the Deco Addon here!