Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtCarebear wrote:Good god.
I do support for the MCF, and we get alot of posts that fireworks don't show up (they didn't add color.) and if they aren't crafted with a star on SMP, It kicks you off with a "end of stream" error.
It seems to me, like quite the bug to miss.
Gah. 1.4.7 here we come.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:
SgtCarebear wrote:Good god.
I do support for the MCF, and we get alot of posts that fireworks don't show up (they didn't add color.) and if they aren't crafted with a star on SMP, It kicks you off with a "end of stream" error.
It seems to me, like quite the bug to miss.
Gah. 1.4.7 here we come.
Yes, for certain.
Also new with 1.4.6, is a brand new chunk error! on worlds that were generated before 1.4.6, sometimes chunks will sink, lowering them by 5- 15 blocks.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Oh man that's terrible!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtCarebear wrote: Also new with 1.4.6, is a brand new chunk error! on worlds that were generated before 1.4.6, sometimes chunks will sink, lowering them by 5- 15 blocks.
Jesus christ. Ok, you just made me seriously question on whether I should be updating to 1.4.6 today as I had originally planned.

Regular bugs are one thing, fucking up people's existing worlds is quite another. If I update now, then it will likely result in people's BTW worlds being corrupted as they won't necessarily realize the above is a problem.

Either that or I hunt down and fix the bug myself, which is obviously a waste of my time.

Sigh. It's never straight-forward with vMC updates is it?

If anyone spots an easy fix to this issue posted somewhere online, like what happened with the particle bug, let me know, as that will likely influence what I decide to do here.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Yep, pretty much. If the user logged out and came back in it fixed it, but then the problem just happened somewhere else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtCarebear wrote:Yep, pretty much. If the user logged out and came back in it fixed it, but then the problem just happened somewhere else.
Ah, ok then, so does it actually corrupt the chunks in question or is it just a visual anomaly?
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:
SgtCarebear wrote: Also new with 1.4.6, is a brand new chunk error! on worlds that were generated before 1.4.6, sometimes chunks will sink, lowering them by 5- 15 blocks.
Jesus christ. Ok, you just made me seriously question on whether I should be updating to 1.4.6 today as I had originally planned.

Regular bugs are one thing, fucking up people's existing worlds is quite another. If I update now, then it will likely result in people's BTW worlds being corrupted as they won't necessarily realize the above is a problem.

Either that or I hunt down and fix the bug myself, which is obviously a waste of my time.

Sigh. It's never straight-forward with vMC updates is it?

If anyone spots an easy fix to this issue posted somewhere online, like what happened with the particle bug, let me know, as that will likely influence what I decide to do here.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. over at MCF we have a ton of people asking for a downgrade, because it either breaks their worlds or Java won't open the launcher for some strange reason. Everything we tell them to do isn't working either.
I'll be sure to keep a eye out for a fix too FC, sorry to inconvenience you D:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtCarebear wrote:I'll be sure to keep a eye out for a fix too FC, sorry to inconvenience you D:
No, no, you're *helping* me by bringing this issue to my attention.

If I released 1 .4.6 port without being aware of this and people's BTW worlds became corrupted as a result, THAT would be a problem. Now at least I can plan accordingly.

So, thank you :)
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:
SgtCarebear wrote:Yep, pretty much. If the user logged out and came back in it fixed it, but then the problem just happened somewhere else.
Ah, ok then, so does it actually corrupt the chunks in question or is it just a visual anomaly?
we've had one case where it's a visual anomoly, and we pointed them to a serverside issue (they were playing on their server.)
All the others have been complete rewrites of a chunk. One person said it happened when they broke a jukebox(Minecraft crashed, and when he loaded it happened) but the others didn't do anything, it just happened randomly. There have been too many reports to toss it up as a installation problem, and they happen across Modded and Unmodified clients.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW: Can I get a link to the MCF thread where discussion of this is taking place? If I can read over the actual reports, it might make it way easier for me to diagnose what is going on rather than getting the info second hand.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

You know, usually when I hear about bugs, I can make an educated guess on what might've gone wrong, but this one has me quite stumped. The closest thing I can think of is that they had some unintended interaction between their fireworks branch and the render-refactoring branch, but then it just gets me wondering on why those branches even intermingled (you'd think the fireworks branch would be moved into the render-branch and not the other way around).
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:BTW: Can I get a link to the MCF thread where discussion of this is taking place? If I can read over the actual reports, it might make it way easier for me to diagnose what is going on rather than getting the info second hand.
Yep, give me a second. Jukebox error. You'll probably understand the error report, i couldn't.
This one didn't have an error report, it was the anomaly that went away with a relog.

Give me a minute to find the other ones.

There was one more but i can't find it. The others were on the #Minecrafthelp IRC
Last edited by Mikko_blu on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpw

Post by cpw »

I haven't heard of this fireworks issue myself. It may be a modloader specific issue - I have seen some mention of a firework problem on risu's thread but so far nowhere else. They seem to be working that I can see. So far 1.4.7 hasn't been mentioned to me. If there is one it will likely be a 1.4.4/1.4.5 type thing where obfuscation doesn't change.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

cpw wrote:I haven't heard of this fireworks issue myself. It may be a modloader specific issue - I have seen some mention of a firework problem on risu's thread but so far nowhere else. They seem to be working that I can see. So far 1.4.7 hasn't been mentioned to me. If there is one it will likely be a 1.4.4/1.4.5 type thing where obfuscated doesn't change.

No, it even says it on the wiki.
When crafted this way (without a firework star), the rocket will have no explosion effects and prompt 'End of Stream' on multiplayer. It will have no effect on singleplayer.
cpw

Post by cpw »

SgtCarebear wrote:
cpw wrote:I haven't heard of this fireworks issue myself. It may be a modloader specific issue - I have seen some mention of a firework problem on risu's thread but so far nowhere else. They seem to be working that I can see. So far 1.4.7 hasn't been mentioned to me. If there is one it will likely be a 1.4.4/1.4.5 type thing where obfuscated doesn't change.

No, it even says it on the wiki.
When crafted this way (without a firework star), the rocket will have no explosion effects and prompt 'End of Stream' on multiplayer. It will have no effect on singleplayer.
Ah OK. That's just an nbt tag missing on the client in SMP. I think I fixed that already. Hmmm
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

Also new with 1.4.6, is a brand new chunk error! on worlds that were generated before 1.4.6, sometimes chunks will sink, lowering them by 5- 15 blocks.
Oh, thanks for the info, I now know why I found a village that decided to glitch out on me in this exact fashion.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtCarebear wrote:There was one more but i can't find it. The others were on the #Minecrafthelp IRC
Hmmmm...ok. I can't really discern anything from those posts that would help me diagnose this thing.

How many such reports would you estimate have appeared on IRC? I'm trying to get an impression for how extensive this issue really is.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:
SgtCarebear wrote:There was one more but i can't find it. The others were on the #Minecrafthelp IRC
Hmmmm...ok. I can't really discern anything from those posts that would help me diagnose this thing.

How many such reports would you estimate have appeared on IRC? I'm trying to get an impression for how extensive this issue really is.
There were 4 reports on IRC that i saw/troubleshooted. I Haven't seen anymore. It could be related to old java versions, but i'm unsure of the likelyhood of that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SgtCarebear wrote: There were 4 reports on IRC that i saw/troubleshooted. I Haven't seen anymore. It could be related to old java versions, but i'm unsure of the likelyhood of that.
Ok, I think what I'm going to do is port over to 1.6 and run extensive tests myself to see if it affects my world. I've been playing that world for close to two years now, so if this is a general issue, I fully expect it will impact my save.

Let me know if you see any more info on this.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Finally decided to test out 1.4.6. The title that appears every time you switch items is getting very annoying, and it is unnecesary! Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to it?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

EpicAaron wrote:Finally decided to test out 1.4.6. The title that appears every time you switch items is getting very annoying, and it is unnecesary! Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to it?
There's an option in a config file to change it IIRC.

...why it's defaulted to 'on' is beyond me though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

You may want to ask which version of Java is being used. I remember that they were putting in warnings for those still running Java 5 (aka JDK 1.5). Java 6 (aka JDK 1.6) will be the minimum: http://www.mojang.com/2012/12/minecraft ... ot-12w50a/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Any further news on this potential world corruption bug? I'm still rather hesitant to get involved with 1.4.6 while this is up in the air.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I hope it won't f*ck up our worlds! How could Mojang let such bugs pass?
And I also hope it isn't Java version related. I really don't know how the version I'm using (which is not Sun's Java as I'm on Ubuntu) will be handled.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, fuck it. I'm plowing ahead with the update.

At present the MC wiki isn't even listing this as a bug, and given that it's the weekend, I'm pretty sure this would be a much bigger deal for people if it were a general issue.

Like I said, my world is fairly ancient, so if there's a problem it will likely show up for me.