Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BlackCat

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by BlackCat »

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a splash text that said "Alienate all the customers!"

Slams his face against a wall

I will say one thing though, of all the people who I've seen take wonderful things and make a pile of shit out of them, mojang wins the golden award of "fuuuucked" so I suppose they always have that :)

Edit: List for reference

- Villages
- Anvils
- Beacons
- Redstone?
- bats silverfish
- Endermen
- The End
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah...this seems to be getting pretty silly. It's like nobody stopped at any point and simply asked "why?"

Anyways, looks like yet another change that will be driving me towards Home. I don't even want to think about the number of existing builds this is going to break.
johnt

Post by johnt »

So now I get the point of analog redstone:
Spoiler
Show
Modems that will let you transmit 4 bits of info per tick.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

johnt wrote: Modems that will let you transmit 4 bits of info per tick.

1+8=10? I'm sure that picture would make more sense if it had been taken from above. If it makes sense at all.

...and wait...in one tick? comparators have no delay ala-therestofalltheredstonestuffwehave? huh.
EDIT: no wait, it works, he just messed up the display. I suppose that's kinda interesting.
Last edited by Stormweaver on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
johnt

Post by johnt »

That's essentially a digital to analog converter. It takes 4 binary bits and converts it into a redstone signal of the appropriate strength, which can then be put into a line of comparators that transmits it at that strength indefinitely. Then you can convert it back to digital at the other end.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Analog redstone makes me worry about breaking existing setups... and makes me want to code more java. Analog? Fine. I'll make something that's fully digital, and won't need any additional ores or whatnot.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Tbh, analogue redstone has the potential to be very interesting, but does any one of us trust the current devs to realise that potential? :p
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

I have a fully functional vanilla day night sensor (not one of those shitty villager affairs...). Them adding this magic block literally just removes any form of challenge from something that should be very late game and difficult to achieve; the ability to sense changes in conditions.

*Grumble* Bloody Mojang *Grumble*

*EDIT* This is a day-night detector:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

well it seems dinner bone may have taken his lil chat with FC a bit more seriusly then we thought. checking out the snapshot changelog today (havnet been able to try it yet) there seems to be alot of new additions. the one that caught my eye the most tho, apperently they are adding a hopper! still not sure if its the same "kind" of hopper found in BTW but seems intresting none the less.

they also seem to have added a buncha of little things. something tells me they might have finally added one of FC's GREATEST additions to the MC universe.....shift clicking into work benches! but alas i cant confirm yet as i have not tried it. but heres hopeing!
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Spoiler
Show
According to this reddit post, hoppers dispense items automatically into 'trapped chests'. Although there doesn't seem to be any way of stopping it from dispensing those items. No words
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
abominare

Post by abominare »

To be fair, I don't think their current version of a hopper would need toggle-able on off processing.

It has a completely stunted inventory allowance, unlike btw where it is honestly much too large. Secondly, it doesn't have a filter system, which has some reasoning in the current gen of vmc. Most production happens as only a one or two step process in vmc, the only multi step production requires a furnace and or crafting bench use. While we have an alternative to furnaces, we also can't interact with either of those two items in an automation sense. The only real utility to be derived in a filtering vmc hopper is to auto organize inventory, which isn't a lot of bang for their buck in devising a whole filtering system that isn't just copy pasted from FC. All the item is there for is to facilitate moving from a water stream to a chest, which is actually a great step for dinnerbone because it finally marks him introducing an item that actually interacts with previously made things, rather than new random junk.

At work atm, anyone found out what the redstone activated chest does?

Edit: Nvm, vmc hopper can apparently remove items from chests and furnaces and place them into another container underneath them.
Last edited by abominare on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

abominare wrote:At work atm, anyone found out what the redstone activated chest does?
From what I understand, it outputs a redstone signal when opened.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I'd like the hopper to put out a redstone signal when it's full, otherwise it seems pretty great for a vMC hopper.

Anyone know what the heck those weighted pressure plates are all about?
abominare

Post by abominare »

Caboose wrote:I'd like the hopper to put out a redstone signal when it's full, otherwise it seems pretty great for a vMC hopper.

Anyone know what the heck those weighted pressure plates are all about?
I believe it has something to do with differentiating from individual items and stacks pushing on it. Sort of a weight tolerance pressure plate.
Panda

Post by Panda »

New Snapshot stuff:

Never say no to Panda.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

The claim that "pistons should be more stable" sounds a little worrying - is that a reference to the death of BUD switches in vMC?

As it stands now, the comparator has very limited uses. As seen in Dinnerbone's Twitter, it could be used as a binary adder, but that could be done ever since the release of redstone.

It's been possible to build a daylight detector ever since the discovery of the bug that makes piston-based BUDs possible using water and grass growth/death.

For vMC players' sake, I hope that Mojang's hopper is a placeholder - it looks horrible, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will have the same problem that the dead weight has for texture artists (that being that there's only one texture that gets wrapped around the block).

The trapped chest makes sense in vMC, as there is no way to detect a chest being opened. However, with a signal strength of 1, you'd have to have a repeater very close to it.

I'm not exactly sure about the point of the new pressure plates - why would you want to have a ton of item stacks out in the world, where they could potentially despawn and sitting on a pressure plate, and where they can't be washed away by water (because the pressure plate would block the water or be washed away, not sure which it is) or be dropped (because removing the block they're on would also pop off the pressure plate)? This makes more sense for detector tracks, as it could be used to determine the contents of a cart and sort it appropriately.

The block of redstone sounds like something someone would make as a first mod - it's a combo of a pushable redstone-emitting block and a way to condense redstone.

The new ore's sole purpose as of now is to make the comparator.

The ability to fabricate nether brick blocks (cook netherrack in a furnace and get nether brick items, craft nether brick items in a 2x2 square to get nether brick blocks). Recipe doesn't really make sense, but at least it doesn't take up a new block ID.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Er.... Well at least the redstone block is pretty. Although it really doesn't seem like 9 piles of redstone dust is enough to make a block like that especially when you look at the size of a trail that one pile makes on the ground...
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

also just realized they added a redstone block.....FINALLY!!!!1

now they just need to add one for carbon and we can finally mass store all the main ores! iv been waiting on this for sooo long! almost there now :)

Edit: Ninja'd
Six

Post by Six »

Katalliaan wrote: The ability to fabricate nether brick blocks (cook netherrack in a furnace and get nether brick items, craft nether brick items in a 2x2 square to get nether brick blocks). Recipe doesn't really make sense, but at least it doesn't take up a new block ID.
They really just went with rack in a furnace? One of them was taking suggestions on twitter about a month ago for that, I was really hoping it'd be something substantial like clay + soulsand -> netherclay, + furnace netherbrick.
odranoel wrote:also just realized they added a redstone block.....FINALLY!!!!1

now they just need to add one for carbon and we can finally mass store all the main ores! iv been waiting on this for sooo long! almost there now :)
I've been playing me some TFC and I rather like how it has done coal (well, charcoal) storage, using the 8 layer snow code, where each piece you place on the ground adds 1/8th to the 'coal block'. Course, that can't be thrown in a chest, so isn't actually any good for mass storage.. :P

Does the redstone block stop giving off a signal when directly powered?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Six wrote: I've been playing me some TFC and I rather like how it has done coal (well, charcoal) storage, using the 8 layer snow code, where each piece you place on the ground adds 1/8th to the 'coal block'. Course, that can't be thrown in a chest, so isn't actually any good for mass storage.. :P
I really wonder what this game would be like without chests and if you couldn't store ridiculously large stacks of blocks in your inventory... It'd be interesting if you needed to quarry blocks as you needed them instead of just storing ridiculous amounts of stone in chests. And if you needed to use minecarts to transport larger amount of material. It would certainly make large constructions much more impressive and bring logistical challenges to the fore.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Huh...textures need some work. The ore bugs me - I remember the days where all the ores were the same, just with different colours. That was cool. It stood out, looked nice, and was a minecraft...thing. Then lapis was a bit different, but it was similar enough to be fine. Then emrals were just wierd. And now the new one looks like the result of a pigman getting a little too exited when his buddy gets attacked.

In vMC's context though, it all seems like good stuff though, gameplay wise. A little unconstrained, but easy enough to get the dead weight treatment where BTW functionality has a more refined version of the concept. Trap chests, a least, help deal with storage area problems.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
abominare

Post by abominare »

Katalliaan wrote:The claim that "pistons should be more stable" sounds a little worrying - is that a reference to the death of BUD switches in vMC?

As it stands now, the comparator has very limited uses. As seen in Dinnerbone's Twitter, it could be used as a binary adder, but that could be done ever since the release of redstone.

It's been possible to build a daylight detector ever since the discovery of the bug that makes piston-based BUDs possible using water and grass growth/death.

For vMC players' sake, I hope that Mojang's hopper is a placeholder - it looks horrible, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will have the same problem that the dead weight has for texture artists (that being that there's only one texture that gets wrapped around the block).

The trapped chest makes sense in vMC, as there is no way to detect a chest being opened. However, with a signal strength of 1, you'd have to have a repeater very close to it.

I'm not exactly sure about the point of the new pressure plates - why would you want to have a ton of item stacks out in the world, where they could potentially despawn and sitting on a pressure plate, and where they can't be washed away by water (because the pressure plate would block the water or be washed away, not sure which it is) or be dropped (because removing the block they're on would also pop off the pressure plate)? This makes more sense for detector tracks, as it could be used to determine the contents of a cart and sort it appropriately.

The block of redstone sounds like something someone would make as a first mod - it's a combo of a pushable redstone-emitting block and a way to condense redstone.

The new ore's sole purpose as of now is to make the comparator.

The ability to fabricate nether brick blocks (cook netherrack in a furnace and get nether brick items, craft nether brick items in a 2x2 square to get nether brick blocks). Recipe doesn't really make sense, but at least it doesn't take up a new block ID.
I have mixed feelings about the update, but I'm actually kinda looking forward to the update, and hoping FC is willing to update btw again for 1.5.

If vmc lost BUD and gained a proper BUD block/not glitchy as hell pistons, I don't think anyone would mind, other than the most masochistic of red stone operators.

I don't understand the hate against the daytime detector that a lot of people have been dishing out. From a design standpoint bugs as features is dangerous path because it can pigeon hold you into keeping lousy code that can also be the source of other problems. Additionally the process itself isn't all that straight forward, its a tool that basically has to be copied from elsewhere then re-engineered to suite your needs. A block allows those less inclined to start thinking of uses. I find it kinda silly if our community holds up an item like the Buddy block but somehow curses the idea of daytime detector, if its a construction issue I'm sure you could just change the materials to something else to make it more "late" game.

The comparator is something I'm looking forward to, it'll be extremely useful in creating longer and more complex logic set ups without having to dedicated ridiculous amounts of space to arcane redstone configurations. It'll also cut down on some gate sizes and help people who weren't previously versed in circuitry to get into the idea of making redstone contraptions without having to stumble upon a worksheet of pre designed redstone gate set ups. Anything that helps creativity and removes a barrier that requires non germane knowledge from outside the game isn't a bad thing.

Even more interesting is that the daytime sensor being proposed outputs different strenghts based on time of day, allowing for some more interesting graduating set ups or timing set ups.

Currently vmc daytime detection and red stone clock/long term timing set ups fall into the the so damn annoying to make category that I just run wires from the one I make for a base to any contraption that would use it. While we've mentioned clocks I'd point out that irl quartz is pretty handy for timing devices, and would say there's lots of room for future iterations of the new ore, they don't have to release with 50 objects before introducing the ore.

Trap chest strength of one is weird, I'll give you that, repeaters are cheap though so whatever, might make trap set ups unnecessarily awkward. The hopper is a great step forward for vmc and while ugly (most things are in vmc) it seems to meet the needs of basic vmc without getting distracted by mod uses.

I would love a more complicated nether brick recipe but in vmc, considering how simple every other brick recipe is, it would be awkward that this one is so far removed with complexity.

Edit: Also the new hopper is a damned godsend if they work out a way to empty minecart chests since it is confirmed to fill them and remove from other chests/furnaces.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Honestly the whole idea of a block update detector has always struck me as odd and metagamey. Because of the way that block updates seem to be so arbitrary. I've never really liked the Buddy Block and always thought it odd that Flower put it in where he objects to things like F3 on the grounds that it is metagamey. (Not that I'm supporting F3, hardcore info was an excellent addition) I wouldn't be bothered in the least if that behavior was removed. I'd rather have to do things like pottery with careful timing and accept some ineffeciency. Seems more right to me.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Hmm... If I had to guess, I'd say the vanilla hopper will likely end up with the name "funnel" in BtW :P

I agree with you, Sarudak, that the buddy block always did feel a bit "off" to me (then again, I never used it to begin with, as it's a single-pulse-and-never-a-peep-again system. Something that might be missed or might mess up is not something I like to rely on). I suspect that even considering removing it might give certain people heart-attacks though (BlackCat in particular :P)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh no. I certainly wasn't suggesting it be removed. I know how flower feels about breaking existing systems. Mojang doesn't seem to have any problem with it though.