Fantasy MTG Decklists?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Fantasy MTG Decklists?

Post by BinoAl »

So, despite hearing about it a bunch of times and always wanting something like it, I never used MTG Forge until now. It's a load of fun to build any deck I want, unrestricted by banlists/card price, and the engine actually has rules support. I've already built a couple (Eldrazi Ramp and Torpor Orb Abuse) and I'll post the decklists once Forge is done downloading the card images. So, any fun deck ideas to try out? :)
BinoAl

Re: Fantasy MTG Decklists?

Post by BinoAl »

Alright, card images downloaded!

Eldrazi Ramp:
Spoiler
Show
Eldrazi Ramp

4 x Birds of Paradise
4 x Black Lotus
4 x Cloudpost
4 x Crop Rotation
2 x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 x Eye of Ugin
8 x Forest
4 x Glimmerpost
4 x It That Betrays
4 x Khalni Garden
1 x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
3 x Lotus Petal
4 x Mox Emerald
4 x Natural Order
4 x Primeval Titan
1 x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
4 x Vesuva

It's rather self explanatory, but you ramp up to Primeval Titan, and use it to get out every Cloudpost/Vesuva (copying Cloudpost)/Glimmerpost you possibly can, along with Eye of Ugin to tutor for eldrazi. You can additionally take infinite turns once you reach 20 mana (not tough with Cloudpost+Vesuva) by tutoring for emrakul and playing it over and over :)
Torpor Abuse
Spoiler
Show
Torpor Abuse

4 x Dark Ritual
4 x Demonlord of Ashmouth
4 x Eater of Days
4 x Hunted Horror
4 x Leveler
4 x Murder
4 x Phyrexian Dreadnought
24 x Swamp
4 x Torpor Orb
4 x Treacherous Pit-Dweller

This one wants to get out Torpor Orb as soon as possible, and use it to play disgustingly efficient creatures with no drawbacks. The obvious best play here is turn one Swamp -> Dark Ritual -> Torpor Orb -> Phyrexian Dreadnought, but it should play a fast an aggressive game with almost any draw
EDIT: Got more, I'll be playing with Forge all friggin night :)

Rippling Rats
Spoiler
Show
Rippling Rats

4 x Dark Ritual
4 x Demonic Tutor
26 x Relentless Rats
22 x Swamp
4 x Thrumming Stone

Pretty simple, get Thrumming Stone out ASAP and play a Relentless Rats. As long as you're not horrifically unlucky, you'll get every single rat in your deck out, for up to 26 28/28s ;)
Locus Fireball
Spoiler
Show
Locus Fireball

4 x Argothian Elder
4 x Birds of Paradise
4 x Cloudpost
4 x Crop Rotation
4 x Fire Servant
4 x Fireball
8 x Forest
4 x Glimmerpost
4 x Gruul Turf
4 x Mountain
4 x Natural Order
4 x Primeval Titan
4 x Taiga
4 x Vesuva

Very similar to Eldrazi Ramp, but rather than using the large amounts of mana to cast eldrazi, you use it to cast a massive fireball, potentially double by one or more fire servants
UW Artifact Aggro
Spoiler
Show
UW Artifact Aggro

4 x Ancient Den
4 x Ethersworn Canonist
4 x Master of Etherium
4 x Memnite
4 x Mox Opal
4 x Ornithopter
4 x Phyrexian Walker
4 x Plains
4 x Seat of the Synod
2 x Sharding Sphinx
4 x Signal Pest
4 x Steel Overseer
4 x Tempered Steel
2 x Tolarian Academy
4 x Tundra
4 x Vedalken Archmage

Cast all the cheap artifact creatures you can, and pump them with Tempered Steel/Master of Etherium. Start with Tolarian Academy + Memnites/Ornithopters/Phyrexian Walkers for extra fun :)
Ancestral Lotusball
Spoiler
Show
Ancestral Lotusball

29 x Ancestral Recall
30 x Black Lotus
1 x Fireball

Ok, totally illegal :) Gilberrekke told me about this deck being used before limits on card numbers, and I decided I just HAD to play it :) Use Ancestral Recall + Dark Lotus to dig through your deck, to fire off one gigantic fireball to win :)
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Oooh, I think I just found myself a new timesink, got into MTG a bit a while back, but a lack of anybody to play against kept me from getting too far into it, enjoyed the Duels of the Planeswalkers games on my 360/PS3, but they were always limited to specific decks, so this looks far more interesting.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

ok you might wanna look up channel, its nigh on banned now, but well with the right card you can turn one life for one damage and pretty much erase the other player for as little as 4 mana. was once in its early days a mtg fan, and i know some weird and wonderful ... (read evil) combinations.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Talrea wrote:ok you might wanna look up channel, its nigh on banned now, but well with the right card you can turn one life for one damage and pretty much erase the other player for as little as 4 mana. was once in its early days a mtg fan, and i know some weird and wonderful ... (read evil) combinations.
Oho, I'm very aware of channel ;)
As long as you can get even a small lead on your opponent, channel + fireball is a win :)
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

ceri has the sickest rat deck you ever can imagine, look up coat of arms for your relentless rats, theirs also a legend that gives rats fear... for extra fun. i myself love the suffering a good bizare of wonders deck can cause , not to mention the dread caused by reality twists and i beleive its called illusionary terrain.

their are two combos ive never been evil enough to try. i thought id mention them here for fun. hypnotic spectres and fire whip (fire whip the enemy during his draw phase and hes forced to discard the card he drew... rofl..) add some card that dead damage on discards, and when his hands low. and hed never play anouther card again.. or have a chance.

Their is a certain legendary combo involving a legendary ogre and a spell that doubles the damage a card does, so in effect it deals damage to every player equal their life. (half their life, rounded down then doubled., just make sure uyour on a odd number of life...)

(edited to add a fun combo)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Talrea wrote:ceri has the sickest rat deck you ever can imagine, look up coat of arms for your relentless rats, theirs also a legend that gives rats fear... for extra fun. i myself love the suffering a good bizare of wonders deck can cause , not to mention the dread caused by reality twists and i beleive its called illusionary terrain.
Heh, Relentless rats + thrumming stone is already overkill x9001, the only real improvement to make is giving them all haste somehow. Although coat of arms would be pretty insane, it would slow down the deck a bit, I generally can get dark ritual + thrumming stone by turn 3, and start the ratfest on turn 4. Playing another 5 drop artifact would just slow down the deck by another turn or 2, and decrease the number of rats
Talrea wrote: their are two combos ive never been evil enough to try. i thought id mention them here for fun. hypnotic spectres and fire whip (fire whip the enemy during his draw phase and hes forced to discard the card he drew... rofl..) add some card that dead damage on discards, and when his hands low. and hed never play anouther card again.. or have a chance.
Heh yeah, instant speed discard is horribly broken, and I love it :) They can still use instants in response to the discard, but it still limits their possible plays to instants during the draw step :)
Talrea wrote: Their is a certain legendary combo involving a legendary ogre and a spell that doubles the damage a card does, so in effect it deals damage to every player equal their life. (half their life, rounded down then doubled., just make sure uyour on a odd number of life...)
Hm, couldn't find any legendary ogres on Gatherer, but the combo reminds me of Malignus + Rush of Blood

I'm still planning on making a UWR combo deck based on Splinter Twin/Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker + Deceiver Exarch/Restoration Angel/Pestermite/Sky Hussar.
Splinter Twin/Kiki-Jiki can be untapped by Deceiver Exarch/Restoration Angel/Pestermite/Sky Hussar, causing even more hasty tokens to be created, swinging for infinity ;)
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

one fun fact relentless rats arn't restricted to just 4 copies so you can have 40+ in a deck legally, its just no-one i knew ever collected that many at once, the other cards however are limited to just 4.

their is a sick combo i know that pretty much erases every bit of land in your deck with just 3 cards. i wonder if you can work it out.

Hint: one of those 3 is a card the openent always has.

heres the loverly ogre you couldn't find, hes great fun:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/ ... seid=74572
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Talrea wrote: heres the loverly ogre you couldn't find, hes great fun:

Oho, he should be fun :)

Made a few more decks:

Shattering Mirrors
Spoiler
Show
Shattering Mirrors

4 x Deceiver Exarch
4 x Gamble
4 x Hallowed Fountain
4 x Idyllic Tutor
4 x Imperial Recruiter
4 x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
4 x Pestermite
4 x Plateau
4 x Restoration Angel
4 x Sacred Foundry
4 x Sky Hussar
4 x Splinter Twin
4 x Steam Vents
4 x Tundra
4 x Volcanic Island

Abuse token copies of creatures entering the battlefield to untap and create infinite copies :D
UB Reanimator
Spoiler
Show
UB Reanimator

2 x Angel of Despair
4 x Animate Dead
1 x Blazing Archon
4 x Buried Alive
4 x Careful Study
1 x Craterhoof Behemoth
4 x Dark Ritual
1 x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 x Empyrial Archangel
4 x Entomb
4 x Exhume
1 x Griselbrand
1 x Inkwell Leviathan
1 x Iona, Shield of Emeria
2 x Island
1 x It That Betrays
1 x Platinum Angel
4 x Polluted Delta
4 x Reanimate
1 x Sheoldred, Whispering One
6 x Swamp
4 x Underground Sea
4 x Watery Grave

Pretty regular UB reanimator, I've just always loved Reanimator decks
Elven Surge
Spoiler
Show
Elven Surge

4 x Copperhorn Scout
4 x Elvish Archdruid
4 x Elvish Visionary
23 x Forest
4 x Fyndhorn Elder
4 x Fyndhorn Elves
1 x Gaea's Cradle
4 x Llanowar Elves
1 x Omnath, Locus of Mana
2 x Overrun
4 x Primal Surge
1 x Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
4 x Wirewood Channeler

Abuse mana elves to ramp up to Primal Surge as quickly as possible. The deck is all permanents besides Primal surge x4 and Overrun x2, so you can keep casting surges until you overrun for the win
Dear god, I can't stop. *shivers*
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

sadly i don't know the new cards but if you like i can get some evil combos from ceri and pass them along to you. i was more a technical player, ceri however kept more up to date with the new cards. i do love finding loopholes in the rules and exploiting them evilly.

i'll try finding my shutdown combo (basically a 2 mana recastableswords to plowshears), basically removing a creature each round from play..

and its variant combo, the i get anouther turn infinitetly...

edited: hes the really really broken card:

exile one of these cards for infinite fun:
swords to plowshearts, counter spell or if you have platimun angel, a ... wait for it... final fortune which leads you to have infiite extra turns.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Oh my, I was unaware of this software, but it looks awesome! I had still been using Magic Workstation for playtesting, but this looks much better. Is it able to play Commander? (that and modern are the only formats I touch these days)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

kaos78414 wrote:Oh my, I was unaware of this software, but it looks awesome! I had still been using Magic Workstation for playtesting, but this looks much better. Is it able to play Commander? (that and modern are the only formats I touch these days)
Unfortunately, no commander :( That would be a fantastic addition, though
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

The casual...it's over 9000!

Seriously ;)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Flesh_Engine wrote:The casual...it's over 9000!

Seriously ;)
Heh, I have a hell of a lot more fun with casual than actual competition. I'd rather build a fun deck than a winning deck :)
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Yeah well, i'm not saying that everyone needs to play like Kai Budde, but you'll find there are levels of casual :)

In any case, i do recommend Commander/EDH for groups, it's just loads of fun and a good way to use 'under the cut' rares.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Yeah well, i'm not saying that everyone needs to play like Kai Budde, but you'll find there are levels of casual :)

In any case, i do recommend Commander/EDH for groups, it's just loads of fun and a good way to use 'under the cut' rares.
I'm a big fan of singleton formats in general (Pun intended?), and I love EDH. Me and a few friends actually made some custom generals in MSE a while back, and that was a blast. Mine was an Esper Sphinx, that let me scry 10 each turn >:)