Enderman trap

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BobSlingblade679

Enderman trap

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

I just put got a bunch of endermen in a pit, sealed it up, and then dropped water all over the place and they teleported out through the walls.

I wanted to do something similar to my mobtrap in the overworld but if they can just teleport through walls then I have no idea how this would be possible. Also, I'm surprised my overworld trap catches ender pearls on occasion. I haven't confirmed if they can teleport through walls in the overworld.

Anyway, how do I build an effective ender-trap in the End?
Stormweaver

Re: Enderman trap

Post by Stormweaver »

BobSlingblade679 wrote: Anyway, how do I build an effective ender-trap in the End?
Kill them with fall damage, and either have a timer that turns off the trap and flushes the kill zone every few minutes, or have them land on iron bars/glass panes in such a way that the exp and pearls fall through into a water channel.

The endermen not being able to touch water within the trap is a design constraint, and one of the last ones to come out of mojang. Use it in memory of better times.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

High resource: Basically what you will want to do is set up a bunch of these http://puu.sh/1wUsD with a 50-60 block drop into piston pushers that will push items into water flow.

That's the easiest way to do it as far as I know.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BlackCat wrote:High resource: Basically what you will want to do is set up a bunch of these http://puu.sh/1wUsD with a 50-60 block drop into piston pushers that will push items into water flow.

That's the easiest way to do it as far as I know.
Cheaper methods include using tripwires to do the same thing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

ah-ha! Remembered my old password.
Spoiler
Show
Picture > 1000 words.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Stormweaver wrote:ah-ha! Remembered my old password.
Spoiler
Show
Picture > 1000 words.
That will pull all of them out at the same time >_<

Edit: Also you have to take care to light that up correctly, in the one I just posted as long as you have the slabs you don't need to do any lighting.
Last edited by BlackCat on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The problem with that one though: don't endermen fall through as the pistons are retracted due to an earlier enderman?

My own design revolves pushing the items horizontally instead, into a water-flow, to prevent the above happening.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BlackCat wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Picture > 1000 words.
That will pull all of them out at the same time >_<

Edit: Also you have to take care to light that up correctly, in the one I just posted as long as you have the slabs you don't need to do any lighting.
It's...efficient!

Edit: Slabs can be added. The important thing is that you're saving 12 lapis per spawning pad :3
Last edited by Stormweaver on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

FlowerChild wrote:
The problem with that one though: don't endermen fall through as the pistons are retracted due to an earlier enderman?

My own design revolves pushing the items horizontally instead, into a water-flow, to prevent the above happening.
Yeah, you can't really afford to risk enderscaping, because if they do escape you'll end up with another island to light up/move away from.

Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hold on, I think I'm having a tired moment.

Damnit. I was thinking of the wrong part of the trap. *sigh* In which case my first comment stands. the rest...meh. Sleep now.
BobSlingblade679

Stormweaver wrote:
BobSlingblade679 wrote: Anyway, how do I build an effective ender-trap in the End?
Kill them with fall damage, and either have a timer that turns off the trap and flushes the kill zone every few minutes, or have them land on iron bars/glass panes in such a way that the exp and pearls fall through into a water channel.

The endermen not being able to touch water within the trap is a design constraint, and one of the last ones to come out of mojang. Use it in memory of better times.
Wow, thanks! I had no idea a grid of glass panes allowed items to pass through. I had always just kinda assumed they were "solid". xD
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Yeah, no. It doesn't really work like that. http://puu.sh/1wXMP

Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Better to build it like this in a trap though. Less surface area.
Spoiler
Show
KittenToaster

Post by KittenToaster »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Anyway, how do I build an effective ender-trap in the End?
The key point is to make a bridge about 180 blocks long away from any unlit landmass and make sure said bridge is lit up like a christmas tree, thus giving you a region in the "end" where nothing can actually spawn unless you want it to.

As said piston based drop traps are pretty much the only way to go;

Pressure plates work as effectively as BD's and cheaper;
The above design is pretty much the one I use everywhere, yep its expensive on redstone but its fast. However it has one fatal flaw which is pistons will sometime forget they are sticky pistons and leave a block extended and the piston in a retracted state, hence the need for the redstone at the back (top) of the image which requires a pulse every few minutes to reset any lost blocks.

As Storm mentioned above you can use tripwires instead of pressure plates which will set off the whole bank of pistons and thus alleviate the need for the reset circuit as it will do it "automagically" by itself. But in a "get off my lawn voice" I'm sticking to pressure plates :P

Remember Enderman are slightly taller than most mobs so they do need a little more vertical headroom space to spawn and also due to the fact they have a boat load of health they need a fairly long drop to ensure they are dead.
Spoiler
Show
Got my wrists slapped a few weeks back for posting untagged spoilers :D so;
Endermen are 3 blocks high and require that amount to spawn
Endermen have 20 health so they need roughly a 45 block drop
Other than that half slab every surface possible and then douse the exterior with water for good measure, remember HCBuckets are disabled in the end and obv Endermen hate water.

I think it was Magikeh? that posted a link to Jlz's mobtrap video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNY3ZgF ... e=youtu.be worth a watch but its one of those hour long videos that could be summarized in a diagram and a couple of paragraphs, so skip to near the end for the tripwire build Stormwaever mentioned if you watch it.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Putting repeaters on 2 tick delay would fix the blocks being left behind, but it makes the build more expensive redstone wise.
KittenToaster

Post by KittenToaster »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Putting repeaters on 2 tick delay would fix the blocks being left behind, but it makes the build more expensive redstone wise.
Interesting, will look into that as redstone isn't hard to come by with village trades / hellfire / or just mine it, so good suggestion - thanks Ferrus.

I am a little cautious when building stuff and try to make builds that fix themselves, another good example is this block dispenser which has been running for about a week;
It started with 8 blocks of each type and its self evident it has problems which I attribute to VMinecraft and not BTW as it is all built in the same chunk and has a very casual timer in which blocks are not instantly placed / removed. I point the finger at the Overworld reloading as players zone back from the End or Nether. /shrug?

/Mini rant - please use some recognizable order in block dispensers folks, I was asked to help build a farm and was dismayed to see;
Sand, stone, wood, kitchen sink, fence, dirt, wool, wood, redstone dispensed from a BD for use as a timer.
Remember your nursery rhymes? "Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue and redstone" - "I can see a rainbow, can you see a rainbow too?" that happens to be a power of 2 (8) which is handy and you can see at a glance what stage timers are at. Take some pride in your builds.

/thread derail off - but again thanks Ferrus, I will take a look at that option. ;)
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Sticky pistons leave the block they push behind when the pulse is only 1 tick long (can be quite useful sometimes), that's why 2 tick repeater should (and I stress the word "should", Minecraft is so buggy you can never be sure) fix that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Sticky pistons leave the block they push behind when the pulse is only 1 tick long (can be quite useful sometimes), that's why 2 tick repeater should (and I stress the word "should", Minecraft is so buggy you can never be sure) fix that.
Sigh...that's what's been going wrong in my pigman farm. Thanks for that man, as I wasn't aware of it :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ferrus.Manus wrote:Sticky pistons leave the block they push behind when the pulse is only 1 tick long (can be quite useful sometimes), that's why 2 tick repeater should (and I stress the word "should", Minecraft is so buggy you can never be sure) fix that.
Sigh...that's what's been going wrong in my pigman farm. Thanks for that man, as I wasn't aware of it :)
I've noticed this problem myself but I never knew why it happened. Piston interactions with red stone annoy me in general. Its a pain they're activated by a signal from any powered neighboring block.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: I've noticed this problem myself but I never knew why it happened. Piston interactions with red stone annoy me in general. Its a pain they're activated by a signal from any powered neighboring block.
Yeah, pistons in general are wonky, and I get the impression they got way worse after the 1.3 client/server merger.

Just happy to know the reason behind this one particular problem, or at least a workaround for it.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Do endermen not fall for vine traps?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dr. Kylstein wrote:Do endermen not fall for vine traps?
Yeah, they do. My current enderman trap uses them, but I plan on building a new one using pistons for efficiency, and to prevent enderstone build-up resulting in eventual blockage :)
BobSlingblade679

Actually, a 2 tick repeater (alone) won't solve the problem, which is why you see inconsistency in your theory. The trick is to use TWO repeaters in parallel with a 1 tick offset between them. So, the "left" repeater is on the first setting and the "right" repeater is on the second setting. This fixes the issue by lengthening the pulse by an additional tick. It also works for trying to detect falling items with block detectors in conjunction with, say, block dispensers.

R = Repeater
r = redstone
i = input
O = output

r R r
i r R r r r O

Hope that helps.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Spoiler
Show
This is my small and simple mob-module.
It only needs three redstone and one iron at all, so you can easy mass-product it.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Why the hell did I not think of this before? Saves so much redstone and smoothstone! I feel like an idiot now :(
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?