Don't Starve

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Battosay

Don't Starve

Post by Battosay »

So recently a friend showed me an awesome game called "Don't Starve", and I've been having a lot of fun playing it !
It's a survival game, where the only goal is ... not to starve. Far as long as you can. Because you'll die one day. There's no other way around. The only question is, how long will you survive ?

I really enjoy the overhaul atmosphere in the game, the animation, while relatively simple, is very well done and bonus points for collecting dung to fertilize drops, and chopping off bunnies' heads :)

Game is available on Steam, or on their site. 12$ for 2 game keys, and you can play it on your Browser (Chrome only) or on Steam :

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/getting-started/

Have fun, and let me know how long you stand !
I'm at 74 days so far, on my 2nd attempt :)
KittenToaster

Re: Don't Starve

Post by KittenToaster »

For a game that is still classed as in being in the beta stage of development it's awesome, I think the full release is touted for "Early 2013"

Lacking in features a little but the client is rock solid to build features on.

Client says "update is imminent" :D and there is a load of stuff due to be added!
See http://forums.kleientertainment.com/sho ... o-Kill-You

If you goto their webby site there is a a 15 minute playable demo which got me hooked.
http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/ and click "Click here to play" derp ;)

Certainly worth checking out as it looks very promising.

Batto
Game 1 - about 14 days I got onwed by one of those treant things.
Game 2 - 63 days and ticking along nicely.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Until I find a pirate for Mac, I'm not going to be able to play it :P
Quality comes before quantity.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

ThatOneDude wrote:Until I find a pirate for Mac, I'm not going to be able to play it :P
What you do on your own interwebs is your business, but please don't talk about pirating software here.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. The "hardcore" nature of the gameplay was really frustrating at first but now that I have a few effigies I feel much more at ease. Here's a shot of my plains basecamp at day 72.
Spoiler
Show
One thing that stands out for this game is the finite nature of the world. There are several key resources that are totally renewable but also several that will eventually run out if one would play the same life long enough--notably, flint, which is the gateway to the only craftable, purpose-built weapon in the game at this point.

I'll be interested to see how this continues to develop.
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

ThatOneDude wrote:Until I find a pirate for Mac, I'm not going to be able to play it :P
Why? I've been playing the demo through Chrome just fine.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

You can't buy the game?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys...discussions or admissions of piracy are not tolerated on these forums. ThatOneDude has earned himself a vacation, and I'd prefer if we dropped this line of conversation.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Is there any way to get back to your latest save? Or is this just like playing minecraft HC, once you die you lose the save?
I've been having quite a lot of fun, but after 7 or so days I ran out of food, since the "path" you should take to get it isn't obvious. Other than that I quite enjoy the game.

If anybody knows if there is any way to actually save the game I'd be happy.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The game looks interesting but I think I'd rather wait until it's finished to try it.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I found the lack of a quicksave feature to be annoying, but an overall good game.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

EpicAaron wrote:I found the lack of a quicksave feature to be annoying, but an overall good game.
Meh.
It saves every day and night, so every 5 or 10 minutes ;)
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

I've been watching Etho play this but the thing that concerns me is the click to move. Not sure if it's on the cards but I'd like to be able to use WASD.

There is a demo though so I'll give it a try if I can clear some of my backlog.. Damn those Steam sales.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Arg! 17 days and died when I accidentally attacked a "cow" while trying to pick up its dung. Damn thing wouldn't de-aggro on me no matter how far I ran.

Was so happy to finally have dung and be able to farm too :)

Seriously addictive game! Love it!

EDIT: Oh...and that was my third attempt. I had a thing for attacking stuff beyond my capacity to fight effectively the first couple of times, and died within the first couple of days.

"Why you spiders no die when I whack at your home with my flint axe!!!!???"

I guess I've been playing too much MC ;)
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Ozziie wrote:I've been watching Etho play this but the thing that concerns me is the click to move. Not sure if it's on the cards but I'd like to be able to use WASD.

There is a demo though so I'll give it a try if I can clear some of my backlog.. Damn those Steam sales.
WASD does work to navigate and i use it often. Also you can use the arrow keys (left right) to rotate your perspective allowing you to see behind objects. Sometimes smaller things are hidden behind trees or bushes. Personally i like rotating my perspective when i'm moving down or left as the crafting and inventory menues obscure advancing terrain, especially helpfull in the swamps for potentially catching water movement of tenticles ahead of you.
deathzaplin

Post by deathzaplin »

picked up this game and i have to say it is awesome, i love games that use hardcore/permadeath elements with some form of between game progression also as dying does not feel quite so bad.

EDIT: current high score 35 days
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Also you can use the arrow keys (left right) to rotate your perspective allowing you to see behind objects. Sometimes smaller things are hidden behind trees or bushes. Personally i like rotating my perspective when i'm moving down or left as the crafting and inventory menues obscure advancing terrain, especially helpfull in the swamps for potentially catching water movement of tenticles ahead of you.
THANK YOU. I always have trouble with that. They could put some hotkey personalization in the options menu, at least to inform you of the existence of them.
Is there a hotkey for opening/closing the your stash/crafting menu?
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Yeah, I'm with FC on this one. I get bored of running around avoiding stuff...so inevitably I attack something I shouldn't. I've died 3 times so far. Really glad the tech upgrades carry over. Onto spoilers.

Has anyone unlocked the girl and used her? It says she is immune to fire and starts fire in the dark. The first part is simple enough, but I can't bring myself to run out into the dark long enough to test the second...cause I know what happens usually.

Also
Spoiler
Show
If you're having troubles getting tech upgrades, go dig up saplings or grass clumps and throw those at the machine. 20 research points each.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: WASD does work to navigate and i use it often. Also you can use the arrow keys (left right) to rotate your perspective allowing you to see behind objects. Sometimes smaller things are hidden behind trees or bushes.
Oh! Thank you so much for the rotation tip! I had assumed that wasn't possible due to all the objects being 2D!
tom_savage wrote:Yeah, I'm with FC on this one. I get bored of running around avoiding stuff...so inevitably I attack something I shouldn't.
Errr...that wasn't at all the point I was making. I didn't get bored of anything, I just tested out my ability to fight stuff in my first couple of games before I got too far in.

I really like that stuff is dangerous in this game.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Well, again, I'm going to say that the fact that you lose everything once you die sucks quite badly. I understand it is how the game is designed, but dying to random shit that you have absolutely no control over is just no fun. After surviving for 9 days, I'd started to get a base set up near a pig village. Got some farms going, got some research going, chests, working on getting some berry bushes planted so I can farm the shit out of them, and on the second night, as soon as it starts, I'm standing by my campfire hacking at a tree to clear some space and out of nowhere one of the trees next to me turns into some invincible Ent and two shots me. I mean I barely saw him.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

embirrim wrote: Got some farms going, got some research going, chests, working on getting some berry bushes planted so I can farm the shit out of them, and on the second night, as soon as it starts, I'm standing by my campfire hacking at a tree to clear some space and out of nowhere one of the trees next to me turns into some invincible Ent and two shots me. I mean I barely saw him.
It's not invincible. It moves very slowly so you can normally doge its attacks and either whack him with a spear or hit him with a torch few times until it catches fire, run around until fire stops, rinse, repeat and soon it should be dead. Also use wood armor, it's quite cheap and increases your survivability several times.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: It's not invincible. It moves very slowly so you can normally doge its attacks and either whack him with a spear or hit him with a torch few times until it catches fire, run around until fire stops, rinse, repeat and soon it should be dead. Also use wood armor, it's quite cheap and increases your survivability several times.
I know he isn't invincible, but I neither have the armor or the spear. The point isn't that I wasn't able to run away from him, there was just a lack of an opportunity to run away. He hit me once, I had not seen him before, I didn't understand what was happening so I thought I must be low on food and by that time he'd hit me again.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: It's not invincible. It moves very slowly so you can normally doge its attacks and either whack him with a spear or hit him with a torch few times until it catches fire, run around until fire stops, rinse, repeat and soon it should be dead. Also use wood armor, it's quite cheap and increases your survivability several times.
Yeah i managed to drop an ent with minimal effort with a torch in my hand rather then the best melee weapon. Fire is good for bringing down spider homes as well. Well at least it was a few versions ago.
tom_savage wrote:Has anyone unlocked the girl and used her? It says she is immune to fire and starts fire in the dark. The first part is simple enough, but I can't bring myself to run out into the dark long enough to test the second...cause I know what happens usually.
I've used her a bit and while you'll hear the hiss of whatever lives in teh dark she will start a fire quickly after. I tested by walking away from my campfire though. No idea if she can do this indefinitely, if she could she's effectively immune to the darkness.

The other female character apparently has a "night visitor", not sure what this is though but the image suggests something non-hostile.

I prefer Wilson and the beard mechanic just because it kinda has a psuedo-necromantic edge to it even though it's overly simplistic.
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

So after beating the demo for the third time, I decided the game was to addictive to pass up on and now have my very own copy, hoping to get around to playing it later on tonight, wish me luck!
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

17 days again...this time was chopping wood next to one of my campfires at night, and wound up meeting my first ent.

He chased me in circles around the fire for quite awhile before I decided that if I didn't kill him, the fire was going to die out, and I would be dead anyways. Alas, I did not fare well against him considering I was carrying a backpack in place of wearing my armor, as I was transporting berry bushes from my starting location to my farming location.

BTW: A new version came out today. Backpacks are new. Getting attacked by packs of hounds is also new. Good times :)