Slime trap?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Slime trap?

Post by Mason11987 »

So I've been thinking recently about making a slime trap as I've never made one before. What sort of things should I consider? I know slimes have limited blocks they can spawn on but I haven't actually seen a BTW slime trap since slimes became more available and slimeballs changed in recipes.

I just realized I can't make mining charges anymore so this became a more pressing issue :). Does anyone have a recent BTW based trap for slimes, one that doesn't depend on external tools? Thanks!
Benanov

Re: Slime trap?

Post by Benanov »

Mason11987 wrote:So I've been thinking recently about making a slime trap as I've never made one before. What sort of things should I consider? I know slimes have limited blocks they can spawn on but I haven't actually seen a BTW slime trap since slimes became more available and slimeballs changed in recipes.

I just realized I can't make mining charges anymore so this became a more pressing issue :). Does anyone have a recent BTW based trap for slimes, one that doesn't depend on external tools? Thanks!
In 'flatcore' builds (where the map's superflat) the traditional slime trap is just a 3-deep, 3-wide moat; slimes of all sizes will just drown & you'll get the goodies.

Here, that only really works if you don't have hardcore buckets or can build your base in a swamp where it's surrounded by water, which aren't common situations.

I'll have to experiment with the BWR test server (it's superflat, and there are slimes all around the base. We've got nearly a chest full of the slime basically sitting idle, so the priority would be to kill the wet slapping noises, not collect the drops.) I'm thinking a saw array, but we'll see how that holds up with the little slappers. They do tend to congregate in certain places, though.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

The following limitations are important:
  • Slimes only spawn in specific chunks or swamps
  • except for swamps, slimes spawn only at y=40 or lower (that's 23 blocks below sea level)
  • Slimes spawn at any light level
  • As of BTW, slimes only spawn on certain blocks
  • The largest limes require 3x3x3 space
Also important: A slime with no target player will just hop forwards in a straight line.

Bearing all that in mind, my slime-chunk-reliant design looks like this:
Spoiler
Show
I'm quite sure something similar could be made in a swamp, too.
But I guess you'll be able to come up with a better design :)
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I'd like to add that swamp slimes are affected by light-levels like regular monsters. I had to unlight part of my swamp before any would appear. I then re-lit it and built a proper trap. My trap is a typical all-purpose trap with 3x3 pads and 2-wide channels. However, the really big slimes (So far I think I've seen only the biggest and 2nd-biggest in this trap) tend to get stuck, so I'd recommend 3-wide pits/channels for future building. Aside from their sizes, the slimes are basically regular monsters in swamps.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Dr. Kylstein wrote:I'd like to add that swamp slimes are affected by light-levels like regular monsters. I had to unlight part of my swamp before any would appear. I then re-lit it and built a proper trap. My trap is a typical all-purpose trap with 3x3 pads and 2-wide channels. However, the really big slimes (So far I think I've seen only the biggest and 2nd-biggest in this trap) tend to get stuck, so I'd recommend 3-wide pits/channels for future building. Aside from their sizes, the slimes are basically regular monsters in swamps.
Well that's interseting. I already have a huge mob trap, so I wonder if I can build one that only spawns slimes.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Dr. Kylstein wrote:I'd like to add that swamp slimes are affected by light-levels like regular monsters. I had to unlight part of my swamp before any would appear. I then re-lit it and built a proper trap. My trap is a typical all-purpose trap with 3x3 pads and 2-wide channels. However, the really big slimes (So far I think I've seen only the biggest and 2nd-biggest in this trap) tend to get stuck, so I'd recommend 3-wide pits/channels for future building. Aside from their sizes, the slimes are basically regular monsters in swamps.
Only aboveground spawns are affected by light. I had a few spawn in my lit (spec-checked too) stip mine at level 15.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

dawnraider wrote:Only aboveground spawns are affected by light. I had a few spawn in my lit (spec-checked too) stip mine at level 15.
This is under a swamp that is not also a slime chunk?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Nope. It is under a forest/plains
Get the Deco Addon here!
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

so its a slime chunk?
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yes. Slimes can only spawn in slime chunks if they aren't in a swamps. But on the topic of building a trap, I would just build a standard grinder in a swamp if there is one near. Then you don't have to make an additional trap for them.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

ok i misunderstood, i thought you were saying that slimes that were underground in a swamp and not in a slime chunk didnt care about light level when spawning, only the surface ones. i think what it is is that slimes only care about light level if it isnt a slime chunk. because if it is, and theres room with a floor made out of the right material, and your at the right y level, then there is already code there for it to work. with the swamp spawns its not following the same rules so it uses a different set of rules, which apparently ties in to normal mob spawning.....
thats it im making a test world. there has to be something you can do to allow slimes to spawn while not allowing anything else, otherwise my dream of making a 64m tall slime farm is lost
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.