Ministry/Industrial music appreciation thread

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Ministry/Industrial music appreciation thread

Post by FlowerChild »

After posting that Ministry video in the dev diary thread, I was just reminded of how much I love their music, and just wanted to share a bit more of it.

This is another one of my favorite songs from them, but I had never seen the official video before, and had no idea they had used William Burroughs in it (who coincidentally was also one of my favorite authors when I was younger):

I was also on a bit of an Industrial kick on the IRC channel last night, and thought I'd also pass along another classic from back in the day for anyone that enjoys this style:

Anyways, I have no idea what's really become of the modern genre, but in the early nineties or so, Industrial music was totally kick ass. I fell in love with this kind of heavy music that integrated the sound of machines and technology into it, almost using them as instruments themselves (or which used beats and instruments tuned to resemble machinery). I still tend to listen to this kind of stuff while programming as it seems to fit the activity perfectly.

I've definitely posted them before, but Skinny Puppy is of course another classic example, and this particular album is one of my favorites to loop while coding:

RezDev

Re: Ministry/Industrial music appreciation thread

Post by RezDev »

Yes!! Oldschool Techno-Industrial FTW!

My introduction to Ministry was this song:

I still like The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste the most out of their albums.

Also, this one from Psalm 69 is definitely one of my favorites:

And if we're talking about nineinchnails, we need this one:

Other bands from the era that are worth a mention are:

KMFDM

Front 242

and Nitzer Ebb
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oooo! Oooo! Pop Will Eat Itself:

Nice picks by the way! Although I really liked them back in the day, I really didn't find KMFDM aged very well though, as I can't really listen to their music anymore due to it sounding cheezy these days.

I did have one epic night of drinking with that band once though.

Best introduction to a celebrity ever "Hey, I hear you're a drummer. I'm a drummer too. Want to get drunk?" :)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:Oooo! Oooo! Pop Will Eat Itself
Good call! :)
Nice picks by the way! Although I really liked them back in the day, I really didn't find KMFDM aged very well though, as I can't really listen to their music anymore due to it sounding cheezy these days.
Thanks. :)
Yeah, some of this stuff is definitely confined to its time, but every now and again it's fun to pull some out for a listen. Now you've got me sifting through YouTube looking for cool stuff. :)
Best introduction to a celebrity ever "Hey, I hear you're a drummer. I'm a drummer too. Want to get drunk?" :)
You're a drummer? I'm a drummer, too. *pours a drink*

And another video:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh! Rammstein of course:

NEVER listen to the english version though if you want to continue enjoying the song ;)

Also, I'm a *bit* reluctant to post this one given he's become his own thing, BUT...still, I feel Manson should at least be mentioned:

RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:NEVER listen to the english version though if you want to continue enjoying the song ;)
Isn't that true for all translation, though? ;)

Have some Thrill Kill Kult:

Last edited by RezDev on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RezDev wrote: You're a drummer? I'm a drummer, too. *pours a drink*
That makes a lot of sense actually. I think industrial tends to really appeal to drummers as the beats tend to be rather extreme.

Not precisely Industrial, but definitely closely related, these are my two favorite epic drumming songs:

and...

And holy shit dude! After The Flesh was probably my all time favorite mosh-pit song! Well played indeed :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, must add third epic drum song:

RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:That makes a lot of sense actually. I think industrial tends to really appeal to drummers as the beats tend to be rather extreme.
All things are in motion.
All motion is rhythmic.
Therefore, drummers are at the center of the universe. ;)

Yeah, Tool is great for manipulating time signatures. Their drummer is pretty sweet.
I really like Tim Alexander from Primus for his take on drumming and time.

And holy shit dude! After The Flesh was probably my all time favorite mosh-pit song! Well played indeed :)
Mosh-pit songs, you say?

But now we're getting a bit away from Industrial, so here's some Revolting Cocks (a collaboration of several Industrial acts, including Ministry and Front 242):

EDIT:
FlowerChild wrote:Actually, must add third epic drum song
Man, there are epic drums hidden in some places you wouldn't think to look, but that's a whole 'nother thread in itself. :)
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Turmion Kätilöt - A Finnish industrial metal band

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RezDev wrote:Man, there are epic drums hidden in some places you wouldn't think to look, but that's a whole 'nother thread in itself. :)
Oh, I realize. However, those three songs are the ones that tend to bring a tear to my eye every time I listen to them just based on the pure drumming awesomeness going on :)

I get that at weird times though, and not always related to the drums. Like Ozzy's voice has a tendency to hit that emotional center for me, like in this song that I often post links to:

The portion starting at 3:14 always gives me chills, no matter how many hundreds of times I listen to that song.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RezDev wrote: I really like Tim Alexander from Primus for his take on drumming and time.
Yeah, Primus is the shit. Primarily for the bass mind you, but yes, definitely some kick ass beats as well
RezDev wrote: Mosh-pit songs, you say?
Hehe...here's my number 2 pick for mosh-pit songs:

I've been in some *insanely* violent pits with that song playing.
But now we're getting a bit away from Industrial, so here's some Revolting Cocks (a collaboration of several Industrial acts, including Ministry and Front 242):
I see your crossover band and raise you a Lard:

Jello meets Industrial...oh yeah baby.

And whatever man...it's the off-topic section. If it feels good: post it :)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:The portion starting at 3:14 always gives me chills, no matter how many hundreds of times I listen to that song.
Such is the power of music. :)

There is a drum fill in this song at around 3:50 that I always love to hear--there's just something about it.

Also the fill at around 0:46 in the Primus video I posted above--another one of my favorite licks.

That and the bass line for this entire song--just love the feel:

(Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight FTW)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...here's my number 2 pick for mosh-pit songs:

I've been in some *insanely* violent pits with that song playing.
Hahaha...one of the awesomest concerts I ever went to was the Prong, Pantera, Sepultura concert tour for Far Beyond Driven--when Snap Your Fingers was really popular...oh my dear sweet lord...

someonetobe

Post by someonetobe »

Talk about a fucking time machine. Not what I expected to run into today.

I remember in college people banging on my door asking me what the hell that sound was, booming Nurse With Wound at 3am. In southern virginia, where I went to college, that was a huge culture shock...

I made my first friend there by noticing a skinny puppy t-shirt hiding in the background. Probably the only one in 100 miles.

And if you think Nurse With Wound confused my dorm-mates, just imagine them listening to Current 93.

Hrm, I should learn how to embed youtube links.

Edit:

Not a drummer. Was a vocalist.
I seek fond moments, not fond memories.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

someonetobe wrote: Hrm, I should learn how to embed youtube links.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2365 :)
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Oh dear, I must be in the wrong section of the forums...

So many music videos about music I've never heard before....

I feel... inept? no... illiterate? no... unlearned? not really.... gah, the word escapes me. Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves though.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

someonetobe wrote:And if you think Nurse With Wound confused my dorm-mates, just imagine them listening to Current 93.
"Look at the little children on Crowleymass, their faces full of awe..." And your roommate's faces too! Current 93 is all over the place when it comes down to style. Industrial/Noise to electrorap. Always fringe.

Nurse with wound... Holy shit I haven't even thought of them since the way early 90's. Now I'm have to go cassette surfing for sure. Props to Rez for the Sepultura post. I didn't see them in concert except the Chaos A.D. DVD I have. I did catch Pantera with White Zombie in Austin once upon a time, though.

I love 80's Ministry, but haven't heard any of their stuff since. Thanks FC for starting this thread... Now to dust off my cassette box ~
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote: I feel... inept? no... illiterate? no... unlearned? not really.... gah, the word escapes me. Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves though.
I believe this may be the word you're looking for...

:)
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Die Krupps is a rather well known German industrial band that was rather active in the '80s & '90s. They're pretty good imo :)
OhGr is one of Ogre's solo projects that i think sounds really well and distinguished from Skinny Puppy.
I've yet to examine cKey's solo work with the band Download.
While not exactly fitting in the current list i think that Gary Numan is a good mention since it sounds very industrial but went more pop than rock.

If i find the time i'll update with youtube links.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

Oomph! anyone? ^^

Also Primus sucks ;)

[Back into lurking mode]

Edit: unfucked up the youtube link u.u
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

*enters thread*
*just got his soundtrack for the next week*

Thanks a lot! I never heard this type of music before. I'm too young for that, I guess.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I've just started listening to Industrial, as my housemate listens to it all the time :3 I'm going to have a proper listen to some Ministry stuff over the next week or two! Also, NIN are win :D
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
someonetobe

Post by someonetobe »

Itamarcu wrote:*enters thread*
*just got his soundtrack for the next week*

Thanks a lot! I never heard this type of music before. I'm too young for that, I guess.
Music doesn't age. Well, the good stuff. Totally hope you enjoy yourself, man.
obl1terat1ion wrote:
someonetobe wrote: Hrm, I should learn how to embed youtube links.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2365 :)
Thanks obl1terat1ion!
Flesh_Engine wrote:OhGr is one of Ogre's solo projects that i think sounds really well and distinguished from Skinny Puppy.
I definately recomend anyonoe unfamiliar with OhGr to check it out.
And Gary Numen is always worth a mention, sir.
abzu93 wrote: "Look at the little children on Crowleymass, their faces full of awe..." And your roommate's faces too! Current 93 is all over the place when it comes down to style. Industrial/Noise to electrorap. Always fringe.
Is that where the 93 in your name comes from? Yes, always fringe. Like drummers are drawn to the hardcore rythms of industrial, I think others are drawn to the wierd. Me included. Not that I don't appreciate some boneshaking rythm.

Edit: fixed quote
I seek fond moments, not fond memories.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Don't forget Gravity Kills

and Stabbing Westward though Ministry's earlier stuff is just better all around.

Been listening to Tropic of Cancer lately

this stuff is far more down-tempo than ministry though, it might have relevance here as it seems to me that it falls between ambiance and industrial. NIN and Aphex Twin engage in extramarital affairs btw those genres and i always thought they meshed well anyway depending on your mood.

Edit:

How could i forget Suicide Commando