Man the ramparts! (forum registration open)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Man the ramparts! (forum registration open)

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I was reminded last night that it's been at least a month since forum registration was open, so I've decided to open it for a trial run today to see how things go.

Batten down the hatches, man the ramparts...this may get ugly :)
obl1terat1ion

Re: Man the ramparts! (forum registration open)

Post by obl1terat1ion »

i mean we could get some new people who do some good in the forums... right!....right...
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

obl1terat1ion wrote:i mean we could get some new people who do some good in the forums... right!....right...
Oh, I'm sure there are some. There are definitely some folks that have been on MCF as of late that are a constructive part of the extended community.

But then of course, there will be the suggestions, bitching about the HC features, the potential update pesters, and the Forge related chaos that I was quite happy avoiding almost entirely :)
Detaction

Post by Detaction »

Better get out the Banhammer!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

First user to register was also the first user banned, as documented in the suggestions sub-forum.

Man...I've gotten rusty. I actually gave a second chance there <shudder>
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:First user to register was also the first user banned, as documented in the suggestions sub-forum.

Man...I've gotten rusty. I actually gave a second chance there <shudder>
In a way, I miss this. It's quite funny sometimes.
On the other hand, it's quite sad that it lasted what, 10-15 minutes and there are already two people banned or something.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote: In a way, I miss this. It's quite funny sometimes.
On the other hand, it's quite sad that it lasted what, 10-15 minutes and there are already two people banned or something.
Just one. He re-registered :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Oh boy. The forums were so nice and quiet.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Oh boy. The forums were so nice and quiet.
Yet somehow in a month with zero registration, I still managed to find at least one person to ban each day.

I never figured it would have lasted that long, and I was sure it would run out eventually...but no.

And yeah, I'm really not sure if this is a good idea or not, but people were starting to get antsy about it on MCF, and server operators seemed to want new people, so I decided to see what would happen.

I'm sure/hope/choose to delude myself into thinking we will get some good contributing members out of it <crosses tentacles>
Western-Knight

Post by Western-Knight »

Well I myself have to say thank you. While 90% of people are blundering idiots, or I just see them that way, whichever way you wanna think about it... Finally being able to post on here instead of lurking about is rather nice. Of course I've only a few days to be an active part of the community before I'll be gone for roughly six months, but it's still nice.
A knight without armor in a savage land.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Western-Knight wrote:Well I myself have to say thank you. While 90% of people are blundering idiots, or I just see them that way, whichever way you wanna think about it... Finally being able to post on here instead of lurking about is rather nice. Of course I've only a few days to be an active part of the community before I'll be gone for roughly six months, but it's still nice.
You're welcome man, and I can already tell by how well spoken you are that you stand a good chance of being amongst the 10% ;)
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I'm excited to see if we get any good thinkers out of this one! I always love seeing how different people approach similar problems!
*stands ready to welcome newcomers*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tom_savage wrote:I'm excited to see if we get any good thinkers out of this one! I always love seeing how different people approach similar problems!
*stands ready to welcome newcomers*
Ah...an optimist...a.k.a. "human shield" :)
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

tom_savage wrote:*stands ready to welcome newcomers*
I couldn't find a picture of the defenders on the battlements of either Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith, but I found one of the orcs at Helm's Deep that conveys the message fairly well I think. It's just a picture of the new members, when I wanted one of the old.
Spoiler
Show
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
tom_savage wrote:*stands ready to welcome newcomers*
I couldn't find a picture of the defenders on the battlements of either Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith, but I found one of the orcs at Helm's Deep that conveys the message fairly well I think. It's just a picture of the new members, when I wanted one of the old.
-snip-
I think that conveys the message quite well. These "unwashed masses" really are unwashed ( it is just a bonus that they are ugly).
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

danielngtiger wrote: I think that conveys the message quite well. These "unwashed masses" really are unwashed ( it is just a bonus that they are ugly).
Okay, while there will be trolls and those who won't learn fast enough to keep from getting banned showing up, as is inevitable for any community with open registration, don't you think that joke is going just a little bit too far?
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

The Phoenixian wrote:Okay, while there will be trolls and those who won't learn fast enough to keep from getting banned showing up, as is inevitable for any community with open registration, don't you think that joke is going just a little bit too far?
Agreed, I am sure that there are many people that have been lurking for a while and have just been given the key to this wonderful community, I must say that they are the ones that will make this community stronger and more awesome all around! :D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
IMarvinTPA

Post by IMarvinTPA »

I just want to say Thank You for making such an awesome mod. My five-year-old son is constantly asking me about recipes for things that he doesn't see in the vanilla minecraft videos. He's currently loving the vertical windmill.

Warning: Do not let a five-year old get a stack of soul urns if you like your build (unless you armor/stone plate everything).

Again, thank you,
IMarv
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

One thing that I have found. New members are necromancers. And very good ones at that.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's what happens when they've been waiting a month to contribute to a discussion, for good or for ill.
Better is the enemy of Good
SageEthereal

Post by SageEthereal »

I also want to take a moment and thank you for opening up the registrations. I have been lurking around here for a few weeks and have just started my first playthrough using Better Than Wolves; I am definitely liking it so far. Hopefully, as I become more experienced with the mod, I may actually be able to contribute something useful. Until then I will just be enjoying what appears to be an awesome community and trying to stay out of trouble.

Thanks for your dedication and developing such a wonderful mod; I am well aware it can be a really thankless job hobby.

Well, I will consider that my "introduction post" and probably go back to lurking now!

- Sage
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

magikeh wrote:Agreed, I am sure that there are many people that have been lurking for a while and have just been given the key to this wonderful community, ...
Exactly. (At least I've been patiently waiting for my chance; I can't speak for all the new people.)

I downloaded this mod two weeks ago, and have been enjoying it thoroughly indeed. I've been lurking for these two weeks and have grown to like the vibe radiating from this community. I've been waiting patiently for registration and am estactic that I've made it under the gate before it slams shut once more (understandibly).

To be honest, my contributions will be slight at first. I'm still playing the game extensively, and I'm still learning how to tweak my play style so that I can build amazing and functional structures while working up the tech tree. I finally have a world I'm satisfied with and can focus solely on developing it. I just got through the nether for the first time and can now work on my workshop.

Thank you for opening registration FC. :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Heh, and here I had no idea registrations were closed. I'm failing at lurking it seems :( That explains why there's so few server posts and the lack of players clammering to join the ones there are.
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

Thanks from me too for opening registration, I hope you won't regret it (too much).

I'm also one of these lurkers, have been playing BTW for a few weeks now and wanted to join the forums since 3 weeks ago or something. Man, it was painful to watch some people who had registered like half a year back and were now using their first to third post for shitty suggestions and get banned. You just stare at the screen in disbelief and wanna shout: "What's WRONG with you, pissing your forum privileges away like that!?"

Enough with the rant now.

Flowerchild, I want to thank you for one awesome mod, the job you are doing with BTW is simply amazing. And while I do enjoy the most recent changes and hardcore modes a lot, I want to praise three aspects of BTW that I was impressed with the most:

-I think it's really cool, how you always have to work quite hard for something which then becomes very rewarding. From growing the first hemp (takes long to mature but then has a decent output) to windmills; then working toward SFS and finally figuring out automation processes. It all comes across really naturally and flawlessly implemented, which shows a lot of thought on your side.

-The pottery system. Man, i love everything about it, from the way turntables work, how the clay shrinks and throws off little bits that can be recycled, the baking.. everything. And all the stuff is automatable (s'that a word?) Just genius.

-Your relentless dedication to the project. This steady stream of updates, that in itself keeps the game interesting. And you do it for free. A few weeks back someone said something like
Someone wrote:"Flowerchild, stop. You are making the rest of the planet look bad."
I'd second that. Just not the "stop" part. Keep on rocking, Sir!

And with that, I go back to lurking, but it's nice to know i could speak up :)
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

In short -- thanks for letting me register and express my gratitude for making such a great mod for Minecraft. You've given me a reason (or several) to keep playing it. It's so much more of a game now.