Redstone: a quick reference quide

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PrivateAlpha

Redstone: a quick reference quide

Post by PrivateAlpha »

Now redstone contraptions are a main requirement for automation and sometimes you just can't find what you are looking for! Well here is the answer.

NB: Anyone is free to post their redstone contraptions, although I do ask that you make it pretty and easy to understand.
Simple switch(Monostable + T-Latch)
Show
Note: The repeater is set on 3
Applications:
*Using a button as a switch
Simple incrementer
Show
The block dispenser can be used as an incrementer that can go up to 4-bits.
This is achieved by placing 15 not-whole-blocks(Like sidings mouldings etc.) and one whole block in the block dispenser and placing a redstone torch under the output block.
Applications:
*Can be used in conjunction with a turntable to create a long timer.
Some other Redstone designs can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=552
Definitions
Show
*A monostable circuit creates a pulse of a certain length. This means that you can exactly control how long the pulse that goes down the wire is, no matter the input. Whether you use a lever, button, pressure plate, or what have you to activate the circuit, a monostable circuit will always output a pulse of the same length.

*A T-Flip Flop is essentially a toggle switch. Functionally, it is similar to a lever; one click and it turns on, another and it turns off. The difference here is that a lever has to be manually activated, where you can feed an input from anything (in this case, a monostable) into it. If you connect it to a button, then every time you press that button the circuit will toggle on and off.
I'll update the topic as I come across more builds or as others post useful ones
Last edited by PrivateAlpha on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mason11987

Re: Redstone: a quick reference quide

Post by Mason11987 »

I know it's kind of petty but since I liked your diagram so much can I request you make your picture line up with the diagram, specifically take the screenshot from the other side?

I'm a little unsure about some of the more complicated BTW redstone builds so I appreciate the diagrams and pictures.
brab

Post by brab »

As a major ignoramus regarding redstone, I'd really like an explanation of the terms used. I think I can make sense of "adder" but the other terms escape me.

In other words, what would you use this for?
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

brab wrote:As a major ignoramus regarding redstone, I'd really like an explanation of the terms used. I think I can make sense of "adder" but the other terms escape me.

In other words, what would you use this for?

A monostable circuit creates a pulse of a certain length. This means that you can exactly control how long the pulse that goes down the wire is, no matter the input. Whether you use a lever, button, pressure plate, or what have you to activate the circuit, a monostable circuit will always output a pulse of the same length.

A T-Flip Flop is essentially a toggle switch. Functionally, it is similar to a lever; one click and it turns on, another and it turns off. The difference here is that a lever has to be manually activated, where you can feed an input from anything (in this case, a monostable) into it. If you connect it to a button, then every time you press that button the circuit will toggle on and off.

Really, the easiest way to determine what a circuit does is to try building it. if you construct it yourself and play with it for awhile, you can usually figure it out.
PrivateAlpha

Post by PrivateAlpha »

Mason11987 wrote:I know it's kind of petty but since I liked your diagram so much can I request you make your picture line up with the diagram, specifically take the screenshot from the other side?

I'm a little unsure about some of the more complicated BTW redstone builds so I appreciate the diagrams and pictures.
Yeah the fact that it was the wrong way around was actually bugging me its fixed now :)
pgelinas

Post by pgelinas »

I do not think the right term for your BD thingy is a adder (nor is it 16 bits): it doesn't add anything. Hooked up with a pulse it might be seen as an 'incrementer' rather (since it goes up 1 value). Also, it's only 4 bits: 2^4 = 16, 16 different slot in the BD.

Edit: 4 bits is a little skewed: it doesn't count the off state (when there is no block) as a value. Usually with a setup like this the BD is hooked up to a monostable circuit, so the off state does stay long enough to be counted as a value.
Last edited by pgelinas on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

You know, I kinda had a post like this a while ago with all BD circuits. Take anything you need from it. Here's the page.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
brab

Post by brab »

Thanks for the explanations, I'll definitely go and try to build them.
brab

Post by brab »

So I built a shed and started playing with the first circuit. I've finally understood how the monostable part works (with the repeater). For the piston part, do I need a normal piston or a sticky piston? (I assume it's the later as it did not work with a normal piston.) If so, I'll need to find a way either to get a slime ball or to get glue. Any advice as to what is quicker to get?
brab

Post by brab »

I've been experimenting with the piston and I don't see what it adds to the circuit. It seems that when the piston receives power, it extends, allowing the redstone torch to power the dust through the pushed block. When the piston stops receiving power, the block retracts and cuts power to the output. So replacing the whole thing with some redstone wire would do the same. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here ...
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

brab wrote:I've been experimenting with the piston and I don't see what it adds to the circuit. It seems that when the piston receives power, it extends, allowing the redstone torch to power the dust through the pushed block. When the piston stops receiving power, the block retracts and cuts power to the output. So replacing the whole thing with some redstone wire would do the same. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here ...
It takes a certain time for a block to move when it's pushed, and when the pulse which powers the piston is so short that the piston retracts before the block's done moving it won't move it back. It works as a T latch because the block goes into one of the two positions each pulse. That's why there has to be that pulse limiter, it's there to assure that the signal is short enough.
brab

Post by brab »

I see, thanks a lot for the explanation. As I just died exploring caves to find some slimes, it will take me a while before I can experiment with sticky pistons.