Torch Code.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheAnarchitect

Torch Code.

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Ok, so with the next release, f3 is gonna be nerfed. So we're going to need better ways of navigating, especially underground. A lot of people use the "right hand rule" to help there. This means you always put your torches on the right hand side as you go into a cave system, so that to get out you simply keep the torches on your left side. This is all well and good, but sometimes cave systems are more complex and you need to leave more info. Also, with SMP, we're going to be running across each others trails often, and may want ways to leave each other messages.

One of my favorite bits of trivia is the existence of Hobo sign code, a collection of symbols scrawled on walls with chalk or paint that tell other hobos important information about an area. I was thinking we could, as a community, establish something similar: Minecraft Torch code. This would be a series of patterns for torches that have specific meanings. This can help you and other people on your servers navigate large cave systems or the nether.

Here are a few suggested symbols, beyond the right hand rule. I use these extensively when I play.
Spoiler
Show
This means "this way up." Anytime the exit from a cave system requires going up through the ceiling, I drop three torches in a vertical line. It will commonly be found next to a staircase or ladder.
Spoiler
Show
This is the horizontal equivalent. Anytime I break into a new cave network from the side, I mark the exit with three torches in a horizontal line.
Spoiler
Show
Image Image
These are three torch arrows, capable of pointing in any of 8 directions. I use these at intersections to point the way to the exit, or in the overworld or nether to point the way home.
Spoiler
Show
Speaking of the overworld, Making maps can be a pain. I like the edge of one map to line up with the edge of the previous map, but this is pretty difficult. So I developed a system of Monoliths to assist with mapping. This is a map marker. It't just a small cobble pillar with torches, placed at the corners of the map. I can then start a new map here, which will be centered on this pillar. If I do this at all four corners, I'll have 4 maps that line up perfectly. Do the corners of those maps, and I'll have 9 maps that line up perfectly (as well as the previous set of 4.) I like to label the pillar with the map number and the corner name, so when I find it later I know which map to bring up.

Anyway, I would like to expand the vocabulary and use of torch code. Lets add to this until we have our own system of shared hobo-signs.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
darahalian

Re: Torch Code.

Post by darahalian »

One problem we may run into is that some people follow the right-hand rule, but others follow the left-hand rule, which may cause confusion.

One sign I sometimes use is putting one torch on the ground (or three in a horizontal line on the ground) at the beginning of a cave branch to mark it as a dead end.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Yeah, what darahalian said, I'm a leftie myself. I mean... I usually don't mark anything while spellunking, however I do always put torches on the left side while mining.

Why? Because I tend to walk closer to the right side for some reason, aim for the right side of a block I'm mining as well. This way I don't knock the torches down by accident. To be honest, I never even gave the behavior thought, it's just something that evolved. Right now I'm not even sure if I started to aim right because I placed the torches left, or the other way around.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

I personally haven't put much thought into cave markers. I haven't found any cave systems too big to memorize, but if I get lost, I follow the Altitude Rule: the surface is above you, ergo the exit is there too. Works in most cases. I can see torches as nav tools, but they're too fragile imo. Errant water flows or a Creeper could easily wreck them, leaving survivors stranded and in the dark.

For the Nether, I make cobble monoliths with a triangle at the base, so I can see the direction to the next marker, and so on until I reach the portal. I make sure that I can see the next and previous markers when I stand on one. Forward takes me to the portal, backward takes me to a point of significance (such as a Fortress).

May I suggest that we use this Torch Code, but with a somewhat stronger block instead? Stone bricks perhaps? Flint blocks could work given their availability and obvious texture (bedrock at y=50?), but I don't know how blast-resistant they are.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I tend to do left side leads out right side leads further into the cave system. Torches on the left thus typically mean "this way up" as i tend to arrange the torches based on a single exit. The problem comes into play when i invade the cave system from another area and then have to re-arrange the torches, the system doesn't maintain it's fidelity if you have more then one exit which as time progresses i often make many exits.

Another thing iv'e been doing is using signs a lot. Vanilla signs where pretty much worthless as you had to waste a lot of wood and have a crafting table with you for exploring caves. With BTW one of the greatest additions is the ability to recombine molding. I carry around 2 stacks and can build pretty much anything wooden with them from torches (redstone or coal) to most wooden objects. Signs can be built without a crafting bench making them much more useful. This way you can provide more context as i tend to navigate visually so I associate depths with various landmarks like a spawner or an exit that leads to an automated system near the surface.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Interesting discussion topic. How I navigate caves will stay with me for now as knowing my system puts me at risk in anarchy.
Your map system creates overlapping maps right? It seems wasteful but looks far more accurate and less annoying than counting from the edge of one map to the center of the next. This system for maps will be unnecessary with 1.4 since they will be fixed to a grid and can made larger.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

It's good but quite expensive on the torches. Why not have something like a torch with a certain block behind it, you can still have 8 directions and only use a third of the resources.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I always place torches facing the opposite direction I am moving. This way the torches always point to the way out. For larger cave systems there could be some overlapping tunnels, but I can always follow the torches to an exit, even if it is not the quickest path there. For signalling to go up some stairs I place 2 torches facing up on the top of 2 steps. To signal to go down some steps I place 2 torches of the sides of 2 steps.
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Husbag3 wrote:It's good but quite expensive on the torches. Why not have something like a torch with a certain block behind it, you can still have 8 directions and only use a third of the resources.
With charcoal, torches are one of the most ridiculously cheap things in the game.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

Huh, now that's an interesting topic. I never gave it much thought, but while exploring a cave, I tend to place my torches on the floor as long as there is no fluid nearby. Maybe it's just because I never really get lost... I must have a good memory/sense of direction, it seems.

Certainly seems like an interesting option to send someone into your traps however. =P
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

was expecting something a bit different when i clicked into this topic, but since im here i have a suggestion.
i edited my art.png so that the 1x1 paintings look like graffiti (hobo code?) arrows which i generally point towards the exit, the 5th one i turned into a second "up" arrow with a different background color, which i use to mark out the main exit in intersections/large "rooms".
i know this isnt exactly on topic since i use paintings instead of torches, just thought i would share my solution for navigating complex cave systems (since i did the editing myself and dont share my art.png out this also works for people not knowing my navigation on servers, they just wonder whats up with all the random paintings)
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Hah, okay, this turned into a "My way is the best" thingie.

Ookay, I'm no pirate lord - I cast my vote and will now use Anarchitects torch markers.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I love that you are drawing inspiration from the hobo sign code on this Anarch, it's one of the codes I keep in my little pocket crypto notebook (don't ask). I think what you have is a great foundation to start off a semi-official torch code for BTW servers. I have usually used the 'right in and left' out method in the past, with signs for more detailed info, but this is great.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
tin

Post by tin »

SterlingRed wrote:Interesting discussion topic. How I navigate caves will stay with me for now as knowing my system puts me at risk in anarchy.
Your map system creates overlapping maps right? It seems wasteful but looks far more accurate and less annoying than counting from the edge of one map to the center of the next. This system for maps will be unnecessary with 1.4 since they will be fixed to a grid and can made larger.
The way I see it he explores one map and puts pillars at all of its corners, then he starts new maps at those pillars, making four maps that line up perfectly (the first map is just for measurement). I find this incredibly ingenious and will definitely be using this system from now on.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

When you create a map, it always starts in the center. So if you created a map at the corner of another, you overlap 25%
tin

Post by tin »

SterlingRed wrote:When you create a map, it always starts in the center. So if you created a map at the corner of another, you overlap 25%
Spoiler
Show
Consider the red map the one, only used for measurement (it will be discarded later). The blue things are the pillars/map centers. This method provides four perfectly connected maps, while wasting one.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Yes I know, as I said, it creates overlapping maps. I'm not denying that four line up.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

It will not be discarded later: It becomes the center of a 9x9 grid of maps next.

Incindentally, this means I carry one set of maps, and I have a second set back in the base in case I die in a fire.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

The thing to think about with the Hobo code is the transfer of important information it is not a roadmap of how to travel The Hobo Minecraft way of life is about freedom to do as you please, no one telling you how to live mine. This is why I say throw 'always place torches on the left/right' argument right out the window put torches wherever you want. We just need to convey important info and with inventory space being at a premium you have to work with what you got. As you should always have cobble and torches that is what I use to send messages, a torch or set of torches on cobblestone in an otherwise smoothstone wall indicates there is a message. So Far I have codes for the three pieces of information that I find important.

1: the entrance/exit
I also use the three vertical / horizontal torch to mark where I broke into a new cave network

2: Direction to the entrance/exit
Like razar51 I place a torch facing the opposite direction I am moving on a two high cobble pillar at intersections or when ever I deem it necessary. Two high means it will stand out and that water isn't an issue. You can point in six possible directions instead of the eight with theanarchists version but uses less torches in general and gives rough enough direction of travel that it is not an issue.

3: Dead end
I picked this up after exploring getting lost in abandoned mines, a cross or as close to as you can get blocks off the explored area with a torch to indicate that you are on "the good side" of the barricade.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Odd that I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I always place torches facing back the way I came. The downside is going down (or up) the torches tend to be at ground level and vulnerable to water. Particularly tricky to spot entrances or short routes I mark with multiple torches. After initial exploration, I pave the best route back and block off tapped out tunnels with cobble. Obviously, I'm not playing in anarchy :P.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

milkmandan wrote:Odd that I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I always place torches facing back the way I came.
?
Spoiler
Show
razar51 wrote:I always place torches facing the opposite direction I am moving. This way the torches always point to the way out. For larger cave systems there could be some overlapping tunnels, but I can always follow the torches to an exit, even if it is not the quickest path there. For signalling to go up some stairs I place 2 torches facing up on the top of 2 steps. To signal to go down some steps I place 2 torches of the sides of 2 steps.
the_fodder wrote: 2: Direction to the entrance/exit
Like razar51 I place a torch facing the opposite direction I am moving on a two high cobble pillar at intersections or when ever I deem it necessary. Two high means it will stand out and that water isn't an issue. You can point in six possible directions instead of the eight with theanarchists version but uses less torches in general and gives rough enough direction of travel that it is not an issue.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

the_fodder wrote:
milkmandan wrote:Odd that I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I always place torches facing back the way I came.
?
Spoiler
Show
razar51 wrote:I always place torches facing the opposite direction I am moving. This way the torches always point to the way out. For larger cave systems there could be some overlapping tunnels, but I can always follow the torches to an exit, even if it is not the quickest path there. For signalling to go up some stairs I place 2 torches facing up on the top of 2 steps. To signal to go down some steps I place 2 torches of the sides of 2 steps.
the_fodder wrote: 2: Direction to the entrance/exit
Reading comprehension fail. My bad.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.