[WIP] Gravity and Calamity:

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.

Tower defence hardcore variant a good idea?

Yes. (If done right)
58%
No.
17%
Better outside of BTW.
25%

Total votes: 12
LaserSushi

[WIP] Gravity and Calamity:

Post by LaserSushi »

Imagine what would happen if you could put that damn gimpy-assed sword away, and have the mobs come shambling to you in massive crowds willing and able to slowly knock down your fortress walls... and your fortress' new traps will murder them Frequently. Then the shower of loot will funnel from your traps bringing you your supplies to expand, and maim further. Fun enough? Well I hope its hard enough people will cry.

What I want this "Plugin" to do eventually is:

* Adds traps that are mechanically simple to apply with already existent components, and can be applied with current BTW tech without breaking the tech tree.

* Make mobs want too (and have the ability) ruin your shit by breaking in on you.

* Stop you from flinging around that sword in a way that reminds me of slap-fights and rely on buildings to kill.

* Hopefully make you cry. I like that.

I already am working on making a damaging gravity block, (one that damages with contact) and am pondering what steps to take next, and would like suggestions. Lots of them. Also any interesting reference material useful to work with making this happen as I am quite new to Java (Not to programming though)is vastly appreciated, I just want to see if some people yelling ideas at me will make me work harder or something, as I have been pondering this plugin for a while.

EDIT: OH I do know this seems like I am one of those rookie modders who knows next to nothing about modding and that is because its simply the case. Have to start somewhere eh? Also added a poll.
Splee999

Re: [WIP] Gravity and Calamity:

Post by Splee999 »

So, you basically want to recreate the invasion mod? If so, I agree that its a shame he went over to the dark side (e.g. Forge) but... you might want to check with the author first.

Here's a link to his MCF thread, if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/780 ... gh-do-you/
cybervitor

Post by cybervitor »

I believe that is not what he is trying to make, while invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion, invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion.
LaserSushi wrote:* Make mobs want too (and have the ability) ruin your shit by breaking in on you.
While in this mod they will just go after you, not a block, making them go through walls and other structures to reach you.

I find this mod-addon a really good idea, I always wanted mobs to actually try to break into a base, because, lets face it, 4 walls of dirt and a wheat + 2 pigs/cows farm makes you win survival, with mobs breaking in, you have to be a lot more careful, and actually think of defences.

One thing that concerns me through are mobfarms , wont the mobs start breaking the mobfarm walls and such?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

It sounds like it could pair up well with BTW. Especially in SMP.
cybervitor wrote:I believe that is not what he is trying to make, while invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion, invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion.
Ummmm....What?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
cybervitor

Post by cybervitor »

Itamarcu wrote:It sounds like it could pair up well with BTW. Especially in SMP.
cybervitor wrote:I believe that is not what he is trying to make, while invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion, invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion.
Ummmm....What?
Sorry man, that was an epic fail >.<

I was to write while invasion uses the nexus to start the invasion, this mod makes mobs target the player.
LaserSushi

Post by LaserSushi »

LaserSushi wrote:* Make mobs want too (and have the ability) ruin your shit by breaking in on you.
While in this mod they will just go after you, not a block, making them go through walls and other structures to reach you.

I find this mod-addon a really good idea, I always wanted mobs to actually try to break into a base, because, lets face it, 4 walls of dirt and a wheat + 2 pigs/cows farm makes you win survival, with mobs breaking in, you have to be a lot more careful, and actually think of defences.

One thing that concerns me through are mobfarms , wont the mobs start breaking the mobfarm walls and such?
Yeah but that is intentional. You will still farm mobs.... just differently. You'd get your loot from your base killing the mobs more then mob-traps. Its just added spice. Right now I am bugging around with the AI, not allot of progress yet, I have not had the time so far.

As far as it goes: Same kind of idea as the invasion mod I suppose, but different aims and focus. The mobs are after /YOU/ and some pre-specified high value blocks (Filled chests and whatnot) and not some nexus, you have no control over the invasions. (they happen weekly, and each one is larger) and there will be a couple "loot mobs" at the end which carry something valuable as a reward.

I am still not sure how to prevent bunkering yet, I want to encourage above ground environments. Perhaps below a certain level during invasions mobs can spawn regardless of light level for a short while.
cybervitor

Post by cybervitor »

I'm getting really interested in this addon, it seems really great, from the ideas at least.
One note, if you make your base defenses your "mob farm", and there is just one raid a week, wouldn't that mean that you could only have a working mob farm once a week?

About the mobs spawning in higher light levels, I'm kinda worried about that, I understand what you want to come up with, but light levels aren't really the answer, since that could make mobs spawn inside of your base, in places you thought secured.

About high value block, I really like that one, its something really awesome when you think about it, finally the chest room will need security, something I didn't ever think of.

If you can, keep us updated about the development now and then, its a really awesome addon you are working in!
LaserSushi

Post by LaserSushi »

cybervitor wrote:I'm getting really interested in this addon, it seems really great, from the ideas at least.
One note, if you make your base defenses your "mob farm", and there is just one raid a week, wouldn't that mean that you could only have a working mob farm once a week?

About the mobs spawning in higher light levels, I'm kinda worried about that, I understand what you want to come up with, but light levels aren't really the answer, since that could make mobs spawn inside of your base, in places you thought secured.

About high value block, I really like that one, its something really awesome when you think about it, finally the chest room will need security, something I didn't ever think of.

If you can, keep us updated about the development now and then, its a really awesome addon you are working in!
I am still dabbling with AI, and learning more java I just got promoted so I have not too much spare time until I am done my training but I will keep you posted. So far I have:

* Tweaked mob spawns a little,
* Increased Agro range.
* Fiddling with ways to make zombies break blocks in a way that is balanced.

I will get this done, its just going to take me a good while, but I will be sure to make it worth the wait.