FlowerChild's Dev Diary (Week of September 17th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

FlowerChild's Dev Diary (Week of September 17th)

Post by FlowerChild »

Another week, another round of feature development :)

As always, rules for this thread:

-DO NOT post suggestions.
-DO NOT critique unreleased features. Wait until you've had a chance to try them before passing judgement.

With that out of the way:

Here's a screenshot of what I've been working on in game as of late. Note that this one is in my main world, not on the SMP test-server a maintaining a proper villager population over there proved "problematic" :)
Spoiler
Show
Right now I'm largely engaged in yet another round of tweaks and small features designed to better integrate the mod with the changes in vMC 1.3. Pretty much the standard process where Mojang releases new features, and I either adapt those in the mod to fit better with them, or change the vanilla functionality to fit better with the mod, or just so that it makes more sense overall.

I'm also continuing with the ongoing process of optimizing the mod code for SMP. My last round of changes seem to have helped a lot of people out, so I'm thinking that I'm getting towards the final leg of this process. Optimization is not something that is ever really complete, but you run into a point of diminishing returns where increasing amounts of work are required for ever smaller improvements, so it largely comes down to a judgement call as to when to call it "done". I'm sure I'll always be optimizing small things here and there along the way mind you.

So unfortunately, nothing really exciting for me to hint at or report at the moment. I'm very much looking forward to getting all these small things out of the way over the next couple of weeks and returning back to my work on "Phase 1". Hopefully that will give me a good solid month or so to work on new content before Mojang throws the next monkey-wrench into things ;)
DaveYanakov

Re: FlowerChild's Dev Diary (Week of September 17th)

Post by DaveYanakov »

Nice villager farm. Almost looks like a trading post.
Better is the enemy of Good
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants his villager farm to look like ordinary housing instead of some overly door-y villager singularity. Really should get to work on building one soon, though it would be on multiplayer. I'm assuming it's more the other players that are a menace to the villagers as the world itself?

Interesting rope houses, btw. A symbol for their eternal servitude to you? :P (eternal or until they hit the saws, whichever comes first)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's wicker actually (hence all the reeds in the background) :)

Yeah, I agree with you 100% on housing that looks like housing. The central "apartment complex" is my concession to the way the mechanics work to have a large number of doors in a manner that doesn't look ridiculous.

It's really sad that Mojang designed the housing mechanic in such a way that it basically encourages exploits instead of building a proper village. There's a certain "sim city" aspect to building up a village that could have been a heck of a lot of fun if players weren't encouraged to spoil it for themselves.

Anyways, I may take a look at what qualifies as a "house" in the future so that it encourages more reasonable construction, but for now I'm looking at the mechanics of villager trading to both encourage it and give it an actual ongoing use (because building villages is cool...that part of the system is a potential winner) and to also nerf it in certain areas so that using it doesn't become game-breaking.

So yeah, all that to say, "Hardcore Trade" is on my todo list ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

All hail the inexorable march towards Phase 1! Quail, for the return of the Device! Prepare, o minions, and don thy tinfoil hats!

;)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oooo this sounds really cool. I remember reading the wiki on villagers and how to build up a village and what qualifies as a house and it just led me to a big sigh. A plan for encouraging building and nurturing realistic looking villages sounds really awesome!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

morvelaira wrote:All hail the inexorable march towards Phase 1! Quail, for the return of the Device! Prepare, o minions, and don thy tinfoil hats!

;)
Nice one Morv. :)
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

It would certainly help against that infinite villager breeding bug. Can't say how many have infested underground areas in my world. :/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:It would certainly help against that infinite villager breeding bug. Can't say how many have infested underground areas in my world. :/
I assume that bug relies on the player using a lot of doors underground correct?
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:It would certainly help against that infinite villager breeding bug. Can't say how many have infested underground areas in my world. :/
You should get Flan's Mod or SDK's guns, grab a minigun or flamethrower, and spend a couple of hours having an epic quest to rid your world of the infestation.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:You should get Flan's Mod or SDK's guns, grab a minigun or flamethrower, and spend a couple of hours having an epic quest to rid your world of the infestation.
I'm sure FC would appreciate it if you refrained from bringing up other mods in his dev diary thread.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

FlowerChild wrote:
I assume that bug relies on the player using a lot of doors underground correct?
I believe he is reffering to a bug where villagers would breed uncontrollably if they were trying to occupy a house they couldn't reach. I once had a village with less than twenty houses (and doors) yet hundreds of villagers that kept multiplying. It was horrifying.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

morvelaira wrote:All hail the inexorable march towards Phase 1! Quail, for the return of the Device! Prepare, o minions, and don thy tinfoil hats!

;)
*Prepares newly acquired foil hat and awaits the soon coming squee.*
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Post by Nerdasaurus_Rex »

FlowerChild wrote: I assume that bug relies on the player using a lot of doors underground correct?
Not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but I inadvertently found this bug after I stumbled into a village on the joint between 3 canyons. After closing in the canyons, I couldn't understand why the villagers weren't repopulating. After opening up the canyons, I saw swarms of villagers under there. Not sure why. maybe they are spawning underground?
Sorry if this isn't allowed for some reason, just my 2 cents. :D
At one point I thought that the world was perfect.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Sandrew wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
I believe he is reffering to a bug where villagers would breed uncontrollably if they were trying to occupy a house they couldn't reach. I once had a village with less than twenty houses (and doors) yet hundreds of villagers that kept multiplying. It was horrifying.
Yeah that's the one.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote: Here's a screenshot of what I've been working on in game as of late. Note that this one is in my main world, not on the SMP test-server a maintaining a proper villager population over there proved "problematic" :)
As a former employee of a sustainable landscape architecture firm, I absolutely love your sod roofing.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I somehow built one of those infinite villager things once and used saws to keep the population in check since I didn't know what was causing it. It worked just fine until the sheer quantities of orbs built up to the point where MC crashed if I tried to open the save. I would not be at all sad if that particular villager mechanic suffered some sort of tragic accident.
Better is the enemy of Good
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Thousands of generations of incest......
I mean...
What?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Hey Guys! FlowerChild was just in the IRC and he linked this song. He said, "big hints in that song about BTW... listen closely"

He just added this one as a second hint as well.

Last edited by morvelaira on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't believe his song hints anymore. I think he just does it to screw with us...
Panda

Post by Panda »

Sarudak wrote:I don't believe his song hints anymore. I think he just does it to screw with us...
agreed
Never say no to Panda.
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Sarudak wrote:I don't believe his song hints anymore. I think he just does it to screw with us...
It's just so meaningless that it circles around to deep, then back to being nonsense. Sort of like the angels egg dub.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Because of BTW, the English language will never be safe again.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Eh, meaningless or not speculation is still enjoyable.

Graceland:
Pilgrimage/Migration to a holy land/new home
Instinctively drawn to a place by a power or purpose that cannot be explained.
Lost and at the mercy of the whims of fate?

Spanish train:
Evil comes to take away the souls of the innocent
Two beings, a protector and an predator, which fight and the predator always wins because he always cheats and outwits the protector.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

I'm thinking theres gonna be some mincart related thing in the next update.
All you need is bacon and duct tape.