New Release! (Version 2.90)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Re: New Release! (Version 2.90)

Post by Urian »

Would it be possible to change the plant pot to have some kind of dirt texture in the middle? A purely aesthetic aspect but it currently looks a bit odd with hemp/wheat/saplings floating in the air :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Great, this happens right when I turn all my clay to bricks. It looks like I'll be busy looking for clay for a while now.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Urian wrote:Would it be possible to change the plant pot to have some kind of dirt texture in the middle? A purely aesthetic aspect but it currently looks a bit odd with hemp/wheat/saplings floating in the air :)
If you take a Pot, a dirt block and a bucket of water and stack them atop of each other in the crafting table, you create the intended planter, which should also display some tilled earth inside of it.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:Would it be possible to change the plant pot to have some kind of dirt texture in the middle? A purely aesthetic aspect but it currently looks a bit odd with hemp/wheat/saplings floating in the air :)
Yup, like I said above, it's a bug that you can even plant stuff on it like that, which I'll fix today.

There's a second state to the planter that does exactly what you say, and THAT is the one you're supposed to only be able to plant stuff on :)

I'll try to put together a quick release that covers a bunch of small outstanding issues and a couple of minor features.
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

This may be me not realising on an updated recipe, but is anyone else finding that the bellows recipe on the recipe guides doesn't work? As in at the top, 3 wooden panels, beneath that 3 tanned leather, and below that, gear, then a belt, than another gear.

Apologies if this is a non-issue, but i'm at a loss atm!
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Supernaut wrote:This may be me not realising on an updated recipe, but is anyone else finding that the bellows recipe on the recipe guides doesn't work? As in at the top, 3 wooden panels, beneath that 3 tanned leather, and below that, gear, then a belt, than another gear.

Apologies if this is a non-issue, but i'm at a loss atm!
Nope. That recipe still works. They were panels and not planks, correct?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

KriiEiter wrote:I'm generally not a fan of any mod that adds updates to tools, but I think given all the steps needed to make one haft this one actually pulls it off. Congratulations Flower!
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm not a fan of additional tool mods either. The thing was, with the inclusion of Steel, I realized awhile ago that it would have seemed really weird if I didn't allow tools to be made out of it.

So, after considering the way tools are made in Minecraft (raw materials strapped to a stick), I decided that given the elements in the mod, MUCH more efficient tools could likely be constructed not only with Steel, but by refining all the elements of the tools themselves to make a more efficient overall device.

And as you said, having to work to get there was a big part of it. You'll notice the new tools require you to use pretty much every single aspect of the mechanical system to produce them, so it's really not something you can just pop into a new world and get immediately.

Hopefully I got the balance right so that it still feels like a natural extension of the game. It was a tricky one to be sure as tools are such a fundamental aspect of the game.
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

Yep they were panels, freshly cut on the saw from planks...not sure why it's not working then! I'll restart and check again.

Edit: Still not working, will try reinstalling BTW for good measure.

Edit#2: Still nothing, and the Bellows class file is definitely in the folder. I already have a bellow working correctly as well which confuses me even more
Last edited by Supernaut on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

The recipe for bellows works just fine for me (I made one just a few minutes ago) so it's most likely something on your part rather than something with the update. Hopefully your reinstalling will help - just remember to install modloader and forge as well :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Supernaut wrote:Yep they were panels, freshly cut on the saw from planks...not sure why it's not working then! I'll restart and check again.

Edit: Still not working, will try reinstalling BTW for good measure.
Are any other BTW recipes not working correctly?
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

All the other recipes work with no problems since I've updated.

I'll do modloader and forge again for the hell of it :P

Edit: Still not making the bellows, I'll keep fiddling around though and hope for the best. Odd thing is I haven't altered anything.

It wouldn't have anything to do with not installing the version before 2.9 would it? :/ Missed that one out due to being lazy, it's the only thing I can think of that I'd have done differently to anyone else.
empath

Post by empath »

Now that we've got more black-smith-y types of things, I have a suggestion (which i'm 99.9999% sure you already have thought of):

Steel Hammer and Anvil to repair items. (and perhaps required to make steel tools at all in a future update)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Supernaut wrote:All the other recipes work with no problems since I've updated.
Please move further discussion of the problems you are encountering to the tech-support forum.
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

Sorry man, will do. Got a bit carried away!
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

PatrickSJ wrote:Given the annoyance of vases I suspect they are intended for the adventure mode. Has anyone found anything useful for the vase yet?
I don't know, but they kind of remind me of the pots or jars scattered around in dungeons in Legend of Zelda games. You can put one of any item into it by right-clicking, and you have to break the vase to get the item back again. So I can definitely see where they could have a place in adventure mode. Find some arrows and some food in a group of vases, and you're ready to go on to the next part of the dungeon. Yeah, I think they have a lot of potential for adventure mode.

You can also stack them on top of each other to make interesting looking pillars, and since they can be dyed all the different colors, they could add a cool (albeit fragile) architectural aspect to buildings.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

Great job on the release, Flower! Lots of cool new stuff to try out, and my workshop is looking much more industrial with the new system and contraptions added. Also, went on a Nether run for Netherrack with my brand new pick. It's mining the blocks faster than I can walk!
darahalian wrote:
PatrickSJ wrote:Given the annoyance of vases I suspect they are intended for the adventure mode. Has anyone found anything useful for the vase yet?
You can also stack them on top of each other to make interesting looking pillars, and since they can be dyed all the different colors, they could add a cool (albeit fragile) architectural aspect to buildings.
Yeah, I've started upgrading my fence lightposts with a vase base. I think it spruces the place up a bit.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Now that I've made pretty much everything that people have posted on here, I have to say my favorite part is the much faster redstone mining of the refined pickaxe. It's lovely. Mining redstone was a pain, man. Now it's easy!

The one qualm I have with this is steel is pretty easy to get (once you have the ability to make it). One trip to the Nether and you're good, because you'll have gotten iron and coal by then.

I think it's as good as anyone can do though. It's much, much, much better than just adding a new ore. That's unoriginal and boring. This means you need bellows, a saw, and a turntable before making steel. I think that's pretty good.

Also, I'm thinking of starting a little mock-up of some Link to the Past dungeons now that we have vases!. (Porkchops in vases, anyone?)

EDIT: Refined picks don't seem to mine obsidian any faster, just to note. Also, should the wiki be updated, or are we wait until everything is officially released?
IGN: Camerinthus
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Camerinthus wrote:Also, should the wiki be updated, or are we wait until everything is officially released?
Go ahead and update it with whatever you know. I haven't tested any of the new stuff yet, so I can't add anything.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Camerinthus wrote: The one qualm I have with this is steel is pretty easy to get (once you have the ability to make it). One trip to the Nether and you're good, because you'll have gotten iron and coal by then.
You're neglecting all the work that someone has to put into constructing all the devices necessary to get to the point where you can forge Steel, and where you can actually make use of it. You're dependent on pretty much every aspect of the tech tree to get there, from growing hemp crops, to finding wolves for dung.

I sincerely doubt this is something a new player will pull off before he is already regularly using diamond tools.

Much like with the Age of Wood, you should also be asking yourself how much Steel the coming age may require, and why both more efficient harvesting tools and a means of increasing your effective supply of iron (through combining with Nethercoal) are both presented in the last release.
foi

Post by foi »

Oh god I love this update so much.
I usually create a new World and see how fast I can create a Windmill.
But now my new aim is to get Steel as fast as possible.
Camerinthus wrote:The one qualm I have with this is steel is pretty easy to get (once you have the ability to make it).
Im pretty sure that's intended.
You have to build everything from the Age of Wood to finally get Steel but once you got everything you need a lot of it for all the great things FC is planing.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

I'd go out on a limb here and state: Steel is the new hemp. Start hoarding, guys!

Thanks for everything FlowerChild
Last edited by Rasuth on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Camerinthus wrote: The one qualm I have with this is steel is pretty easy to get (once you have the ability to make it). One trip to the Nether and you're good, because you'll have gotten iron and coal by then.
You're neglecting all the work that someone has to put into constructing all the devices necessary to get to the point where you can forge Steel, and where you can actually make use of it. You're dependent on pretty much every aspect of the tech tree to get there, from growing hemp crops, to finding wolves for dung.

I sincerely doubt this is something a new player will pull off before he is already regularly using diamond tools.

Much like with the Age of Wood, you should also be asking yourself how much Steel the coming age may require, and why both more efficient harvesting tools and a means of increasing your effective supply of iron (through combining with Nethercoal) are both presented in the last release.
Yeah, I sort of amended my first paragraph with my second as I was thinking of how far up the tech tree it really is. :P

I can't wait to see what's next!
IGN: Camerinthus
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Now your decision, FC, to nerf the amount of nether coal produced makes perfect sense. I started a new, legit world, and when I was looking for a wolf, I found about 9 and a half stacks of clay. Thanks for adding EVEN MOAR features to make people more addicted to minecraft.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Hm, tried downloading minecraft forge, and the sourceforge download wont start. IE isnt telling me the download is blocked, and the direct link wont work. FFFUUUU.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

BinoAl wrote:Hm, tried downloading minecraft forge, and the sourceforge download wont start. IE isnt telling me the download is blocked, and the direct link wont work. FFFUUUU.
your problem is in bold