New Release! (Version 2.90)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Re: New Release! (Version 2.90)

Post by Urian »

An automated kiln is proving to be a bit more difficult than I first anticipated... Looks like we'll need to use 2 BDs, one to place the pottery into the kiln and the other to then remove the first BD and replace it with a brick block... Not being able to push unfinished pottery with a piston means that BDs are the way to go.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Worth pointing out: In order to make tools out of steel you need to use hafts in stead of sticks. The "old" recipes don't work. It seems Steve needed to upgrade his gripping technology before he could make use of a stronger material. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
Fenrus

Post by Fenrus »

Omg i just got steel! What does it makes!!!!!!
Urian

Post by Urian »

I've updated my addition to the JohnSmith texturepack to include the new items (as well as added graphics for the haft, glue and tallow).

Now those refined tools also look refined!

-Download link-
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I go to sleep, and flower has a brand new update and tells us nothing! great i thought i had something to do today...
Urian

Post by Urian »

The refined pickaxe sure makes short work of redstone blocks, finally something to speed up the mining of redstone! :p Now, to see it's effectiveness on obsidian.
Neph

Post by Neph »

First time posting here, just wanted to thank flowerchild for another great update. I love the way the pottery crafting is implemented and that it gives bellows and turntables additional uses. A nifty trick is to put a sticky piston behind your kiln, that way if your items get stuck inside you can push them out.

Oh and I made a quick video showing off pottery crafting and the new items, see it in the spoiler below.

WARNING! Shows all the new items! Do not watch if you don't want to spoil it for yourself!
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Spoiler
Show
ImageIn image1: a kiln is just bricks with hibachi's underneath. Place a piece of pottery in the hole. If it works, the pottery changes color and pops up when ready.
In image2: I set up two BD's. The lower one can switch between a brick, a crucible or a cauldron, the upper one switches between a brick and a piston to push out pottery, since I couldn't reach it. This looks prettier I suppose.
In image3: my turntable bellow setup on the first setting. There's two torches and two empty spaces on the block that rotates.

The crucible works by adding nethercoal
One more thing:
Spoiler
Show
You can delete one hibachi and one brick out of the setup to pick up the item inside and it works just as well. Since this removes the need for the piston, you can set it up so the back opens and water pours out, letting you automate it!
Last edited by Gilberreke on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: In other words guys, I'm about to split for a couple of weeks on vacation, and am leaving you with a bunch of new stuff to discover on your own :)
Eh eh, I'm gonna have a lot of fun messing around to test all this new stuff.
Enjoy your well deserved vacations, FlowerChild! (Probably too late but meh)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

What I really like is how some of the features (planter, turntable pottery, kiln) were discussed in the suggestions forum. He IS listening to the ideas, even if he doesn't respond to them :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

I like the addition of the new tools. I know much of this will have more use in the future, but am I the only one who is feeling kinda meh about the pots and vases? I'm probably missing something, but they don't seem to have the useful qualities that most of the BTW additions do.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

I think by adopting the Forge API Flower can now use infinite texture indexes. So adding more cosmetic features that come naturally with the tech that is introduced is less wastefull.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

is me right, if I say, that I suggested the whole pottery thing with the turnable? >.>

P.S.: Good Job man, you surely deserved that vacation!
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

How do you make a crucible for the kiln?
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

emmasteadman wrote:How do you make a crucible for the kiln?
Put a block of clay atop the turntable. After 2 full rotations it will turn into unfired pottery which can be fired in the kiln to get a crucible.
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

PatrickSJ wrote:
emmasteadman wrote:How do you make a crucible for the kiln?
Put a block of clay atop the turntable. After 2 full rotations it will turn into unfired pottery which can be fired in the kiln to get a crucible.
Cheers!
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Riveter wrote:I like the addition of the new tools. I know much of this will have more use in the future, but am I the only one who is feeling kinda meh about the pots and vases? I'm probably missing something, but they don't seem to have the useful qualities that most of the BTW additions do.
Pots let you grow things in the nether. Instead of thinking "why would I want to grow things in the nether" try thinking "why is he giving us new items that allow us to use the nether as more than a roadway?".

Since I can't test this myself ATM. Can water be used to harvest wheat/hemp from the pots?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Thalmane wrote:Since I can't test this myself ATM. Can water be used to harvest wheat/hemp from the pots?
Yup, they are full blocks so you can harvest via water and the plants/seeds will flow from pots to cobblestone/dirt/planks/what-have-you.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Given the annoyance of vases I suspect they are intended for the adventure mode. Has anyone found anything useful for the vase yet?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Urian wrote:I've updated my addition to the JohnSmith texturepack to include the new items (as well as added graphics for the haft, glue and tallow).

Now those refined tools also look refined!

-Download link-
awesome i was hoping those would update soon, kudos.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Man this is great, I've always wanted to set up a more permanent Nether base, but I was never able to. Now I can get food in the Nether without killing Pigmen.
IGN: Camerinthus
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Urian wrote: Yup, they are full blocks so you can harvest via water and the plants/seeds will flow from pots to cobblestone/dirt/planks/what-have-you.
Sweet! Since they don't require running water near them or need tilling my farms can be much more compact now :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:What I really like is how some of the features (planter, turntable pottery, kiln) were discussed in the suggestions forum. He IS listening to the ideas, even if he doesn't respond to them :)
Actually, no, I'm generally not. This is one of the reasons I don't like receiving suggestions. It's inevitable that a certain amount of parallel thought will occur and then people decide that it was "their" idea when it was actually something I came up with on my own.

There is ONE idea that I took from a suggestion (The Planter) and I'll be giving credit to the person that came up with it when I put up the instructions for this release in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of which, I just realized that there's a bug with the planter that allows you to plant stuff in it in its default state (soon as you take it out of a kiln). Just wanted to give people a head's up on that as anything they plant in one in that state will likely get wrecked when I put out a patch.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I'm generally not a fan of any mod that adds updates to tools, but I think given all the steps needed to make one haft this one actually pulls it off. Congratulations Flower!

Loving the Kiln and turntable pottery. I can't wait to see what Steve can make next since the "Age of Wood" is now over.