How should I go about this house?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Glace1221

How should I go about this house?

Post by Glace1221 »

I'm having a hard time trying to decide what style I want my house.

I'm building a house in the middle of a big forest that's crossed with some rather hilly and slightly mountainous terrain. I'm already working on giving it a unique shape. It's also connected to a small cave slightly underneath a (I guess you can call it) big hill.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to make it mostly out of wood or mostly out of smooth stone, and I question if it's even practical to make it out of smooth stone. I suppose it's more practical than having your entire home burned down because of a little accident. I could use stone bricks, but it's not the style I want and it's even MORE resources and time consuming to make, and I don't want to make it out of cobblestone because no, just no.

Plus, even though the mixture of oak and spruce wooden planks looks very nice, but I've used wood so much in the past, and like I said, there's the risk of fires. Even though I don't plan on using many, if any, of the BTW machines inside or close to the house. If I do use something that can start a fire, it will be away from the house.

On the other hand, I really like the looks of smooth stone, and I can also add other blocks to mix things up a bit.

A part of me wants to make it a cool little fort, but this is suppose to be my main home hidden away at the heart of a giant forest and connected to a massive underground base of operations. Either that, or it will be based within the hills of the forest. I possibly should be careful. I don't want to start a forest fire.

So, what does anyone think about this?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for house shapes and layouts? I like the idea of adding a lower, more underground part of my house, I like the idea of adding a bedroom with a glass dome or a good view, and I'm already doing things like cutting (out) corners.
The_Ender_lord

Re: How should I go about this house?

Post by The_Ender_lord »

How about a jumble of stone-type blocks like cobblestone, smooth stone, stone bricks and possibly even some ores like iron or gold(coal if you have a silk touch pick or if you aren't afraid to inventory hack).
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Glace1221

Post by Glace1221 »

...uuuuhhhh, thanks, but that's not really what I'm going for?
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

The_Ender_lord wrote: inventory hack.
Do not promote cheating or the use of inventory editing tools. That is not the way Better Than Wolves is meant to be played, and though it is your choice to wreck your own experience please do not recommend that others do the same.

On topic, I like the idea of a log cabin in the woods though I agree that building out of wood is dangerous, especially given the changes to fire coming in 1.4. I would suggest something smoothstone, though you would probably want the shape of the room to be irregular so as to not have the walls look too uniform. You could also try using smoothstone slabs, (make nice floor tiles) with a hint of stone brick/sandstone for trim/highlighting. Is there any chance we could get a picture of the place you plan to build?
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

my advice is to use sandstone and let it shape itself... Just build modularly and when you need it glass stone and glowstone all go well with it too... I love sandstone.
Glace1221

Post by Glace1221 »

actually, I've kind of decided to just keep using wood. After all, if I'm going to be doing BTW things underground and in mountains and if I'm gonna add a basement to my house, I'm most likely am gonna be seeing a lot of smooth stone as it is.

Plus, the idea of having a bedroom on the second floor that has two-blocks high walls and a glass dome sounds like a cool idea. The sun lighting and the view of the forest mixed with the color of the oak wooden planks would work very well!

I love sandstone too, but I prefer to just keep that as something for a more desert-like area.