BD 3-switcher (or n-switcher)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Harcion

BD 3-switcher (or n-switcher)

Post by Harcion »

I'm not sure if this redstone circuit is incredibly insightful, but it took me some time to figure it out and I really couldn't find a way to build it without BD's. I hope someone else will find it useful.
Spoiler
Show
It has one input, one toggle and three outputs. Every time the toggle receives a pulse the input is routed to the next output in a cyclical manner. That is, the redstone current first goes through the 1st output then switches to the 2nd, then to the 3rd and then on the next toggle back to the 1st output.

In the picture, the input is to the right, the outputs on the other side and the toggle input is above the button. There is redstone on top of the BD's, to activate them.

Each BD contains three blocks - one conductive (A) and two non-conductive (B,C). The first BD has them in the A,B,C order, the next one has C,A,B and the last one has B, C, A. In this case I used axles and fences for B and C and repeaters for A. Repeaters only work if you build it in the correct cardinal direction, but then it looks better. :)

Either using more repeaters (because the outputs get tangled up otherwise), or having some space between the BD's, you can easily make an n-switcher for n <= 9 using the same concept.

What I used it for was an application that had three tasks that needed doing in order, and that each required 10 pulses - so I simply wired up a clock to both a 10-counter and this 3-switcher, then also connected the 10-counter to the 3-switcher so that after 10 pulses the output would change.

EDIT: because I always forget you can have redstone directly on top of BD's.
Last edited by Harcion on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrus

Re: BD 3-switcher (or n-switcher)

Post by Fenrus »

WOW !This is awesome! Thanks alot for sharing it, i already have a ton of ideas on where to use this. *Diamond for you*
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

You can make it work with a turntable too, but then you're stuck to either 2 outputs or 4
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

so...3 B-counters hooked up to the same input then?

We really need one thread to consolidate all of the BTW redstone knowledge up to this point, as a lot of new ideas popping up will be a lot easier to get heads around if mentioned heads get to grips with the earlier links in the knowledge tree. convenient use of concept though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Can I add this to the redstone page? You will get credit, of course;)
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

Gilberreke wrote:You can make it work with a turntable too, but then you're stuck to either 2 outputs or 4
I'm not sure I understand how you would wire this up with a turntable - could you post an example? I want pulses to travel *through* the circuit onto different redstone trails, not just activate different outputs.

If it is possible using a turntable it would sure be a lot cheaper, though, and I would assume that you can get three outputs in this case as well by wiring up the 4th output to the toggle.
Stormweaver wrote:so...3 B-counters hooked up to the same input then?

We really need one thread to consolidate all of the BTW redstone knowledge up to this point, as a lot of new ideas popping up will be a lot easier to get heads around if mentioned heads get to grips with the earlier links in the knowledge tree. convenient use of concept though.
Yes, exactly. I didn't actually think of it that way, thanks. :)

I agree with the thread idea. HavokSCOUT just recently posted that BD redstone thread but that doesn't include turntables, for example.
HavokSCOUT wrote: Can I add this to the redstone page? You will get credit, of course;)
And while I wrote the above, you posted that. :) Sure, go ahead. You might want to look at the n-pulser thread I made as well.

And, on a related note, you really should give credit to Stormweaver too for the BD-flip-flop (and BD-counters) - he figured it out before or simultaneously as Battosay (in the automatic tree factory thread).
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Harcion wrote:I'm not sure I understand how you would wire this up with a turntable - could you post an example? I want pulses to travel *through* the circuit onto different redstone trails, not just activate different outputs.

If it is possible using a turntable it would sure be a lot cheaper, though, and I would assume that you can get three outputs in this case as well by wiring up the 4th output to the toggle.
No, it's just for switching. The input and output switching does need to be done with BD's. I can set it up with just one BD I think, but then the footprint will be a lot larger.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Harcion wrote:
-snip-
And, on a related note, you really should give credit to Stormweaver too for the BD-flip-flop (and BD-counters) - he figured it out before or simultaneously as Battosay (in the automatic tree factory thread).
No need for me to get credit here - battosay'd been using the concept (and a much more refined version) a while before I had posted that, and he took the time to make that very informative video regarding the uses of BDs. I'll probably be contributing to any threads of this nature a fair bit anyway once I organise a good in-game workspace and stop cannibalising redstone from one thing to make another...let alone actually finish a project :p
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

Stormweaver wrote:
Harcion wrote:
-snip-
No need for me to get credit here - battosay'd been using the concept (and a much more refined version) a while before I had posted that, and he took the time to make that very informative video regarding the uses of BDs. I'll probably be contributing to any threads of this nature a fair bit anyway once I organise a good in-game workspace and stop cannibalising redstone from one thing to make another...let alone actually finish a project :p
Gotcha - shows how much I'm following what other people do around here. I just wanted to be fair since I saw your use much earlier than his, no offense meant to either of you. :)
Hmm, and I didn't actually see that video yet, guess I should go have a look and see if I missed something.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

For a while, i'll admit I thought I'd been the first to do it too :p

General rule for BTW circuitry though; you will only ever be the second guy to do something new and unique. Battosay being a damned genius with these things and all, we assume beforehand he's already done everything. ever.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Yeah, i went ahead and used this design to build a counter module which adds the number of pulses that two BDs count instead of multiplying them. It's kinda big, but now you can combine both methods to count any number of pulses you want.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect