MediateCraft - messages for all

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
saucyjohn

Re: MediateCraft v1.42* HUGE last release before Tutorial

Post by saucyjohn »

Great work man!! Love the effort put into this mod. I was thinking that I would love to do a Let's Play but I have never done one before and I would love to do your mod as my first. Of course I would get your approval first but let me know if that's alright with you.

Also is this new camp fire feature available in the 1.42 link you have up??
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.42* HUGE last release before Tutorial

Post by utakataJ6 »

It's in the link that's about to be posted!
I would LOVE to see a let's play. And you picked the version to do it! Finally, everything is organized.
I would ask you to not start until tomorrow night. Tomorrow I'm going to upload the tutorial island (which to to do an informed let's play you ought to play through) and also upload the release video for this version, which is CRUCIAL.
For now, though, Mediacraft Full Versions 1.43 is out. Check out the changelog...if you dare.

EDIT: Two notes. The silver blocks are not working because I tried to nerf them. It's an easy fix, but not one I'm going to do for this weekend. Sorry!
Secondarily, THE TUTORIAL IS UP. Play it - it takes less than an hour and is very thorough. If you don't spawn in the right place, fly up to the bedrock patch in creative, but be sure to play on /gamemode 0

I would just love to wake up tomorrow to commentary about the tutorial. Ciao!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Ph1il93

Re: MediateCraft v1.43 - Ready for a challenge?

Post by Ph1il93 »

Today i finally managed to get minecraft up and running again, so i gave your addon a try.

I started with your tutorial map and got a very good overview of the content included, so i decided to start a new world (was totally necessary with all the hardcore changes anyway).

But i ran into several problems, i could not craft dagger,trowel and the hatchet in my survival 2x2 crafting grid, the funny thing is, in your tutorial map everything worked just fine (yes, i played it in survival).
I hope you have an idea why i have this problems.. i installed modloader/btw/mediate several times, by 'hand' and with minecraft patcher, but i get the same result.

EDIT: wow, i feel super stupid now...after deleting the whole .minecraft folder and setting it up again, the problems got resolved.

(I realy liked the Tutorial map, you did a great job showing off the way through the BTW and Mediate tech tree.)

PS: I plan on slowly including your addon in the texture addon i am maintaining, so keep up the great work.
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.43 - Ready for a challenge?

Post by utakataJ6 »

Ph1il93 wrote:Interesting comments.
Oh, a texture addon? I've been waiting on that! Go slowly...otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. I've spent many a long hour on these textures, and the item textures are quite clogged with unimplemented items, sorry!

As to the crafting glitch, you may not be as much at fault as you think. Ever since moving to BTW 4.20, I've begun to notice that crafting recipes have a tendency to fail under certain circumstances. It's the most specific bug that I've ever seen, but it usually involves trying to craft a mediate item with multiple other items, shapeless or no...one example is Flour+bakingsoda+scoop doesn't work, when flour+bakingsoda+bucket does. I've been investigating this for almost a solid day now, and want to hear all about it. You say you refreshed things by deleting the folder and reinstalling, could you tell me if Flour(1 or 2)+Baking Soda+Scoop of water works as soon as you naturally have those materials?

EDIT: v1.44 added. Fixes silver block bug and a few small tweaks. End MeC 1.4 release chain. Videos up!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Ph1il93

Re: MediateCraft v1.44 - Koga would've been proud

Post by Ph1il93 »

I just got the three ingredients, and tried to combine them, but i got no output.
I also noticed that i can't get scoop from kaolin and feldspar clay, normal clay works fine.

Another thing that came to my mind while playing is, that flax plants seem to be overpowered, since they need no access to water, don't get destroyed when jumping on them and always give you 4 seeds at their final stage.
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.44 - Koga would've been proud

Post by utakataJ6 »

Ph1il93 wrote:I just got the three ingredients, and tried to combine them, but i got no output.
I also noticed that i can't get scoop from kaolin and feldspar clay, normal clay works fine.

Another thing that came to my mind while playing is, that flax plants seem to be overpowered, since they need no access to water, don't get destroyed when jumping on them and always give you 4 seeds at their final stage.
@baking soda: use the buckets for that recipe, then. I'm going to keep looking at that bastard bug. I got the bowl thing, after all.
@flax: Expletive. Yeah, what I think I'm going to do with that is make them take longer to grow. Additionally, I'm off by one digit on how many seeds drop - so in 1.5 full will only drop 3.
@soManyReleases - 1.45 is out. It doesn't address the above problems, but it's the very very Very last. I honestly only did this so the one person could start the let's play. As FC said a while back, there's nothing more helpful than watching a new LP.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
PatrickSJ

Re: MediateCraft v1.45 - Koga would still be proud

Post by PatrickSJ »

Just finished the tutorial. Some questions/observations before I start a new world.

- I used the stone chisel, but I did not get silver ore. Is this correct?
- Is the wooden chisel only for gathering cobblestone? Since flint is needed for stone chisel, do I need a wooden chisel?
- In which biomes is Galena & Bauxite located? Signs did not say.
- Is magma supposed to be instant in the rock cycle? The impression I got was that is was slow like the water.
- I cannot use pebbles, cord, and sticks to craft hatchet. I had it working for Balsa. Swapped Balsa for Pebble & nothing.
- Can you clarify Lead Blocks? I placed lead slabs & block. Spawned sheep. I head a ticking sound, but that was it.
- Are Aluminum blocks supposed to drop Aluminum ingots when shot?
- How long does it take for Zinc blocks to change Mycelium? Does it affect Nether Growth? Is supposed to take time with Mushrooms as well?
- I decided to put an Akali block into the water testing area. Explosion shot be above the clouds and destroyed a large area of the tutorial. How big is the explosion supposed to be for 1 block? Is the explosion bigger if more sides are surrounded by water? Also, explosion does no damage (just falling dmg). Is this correct?

Edit: I'm assuming the problem with the hatchet recipe is the same as above posts regarding multi-sourced recipes.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Great questions.

@stone chisel - that's correct at present. I can't change that until I separate silver from the other ID's, in vanilla 1.4
@wood chisel - at the moment it's somewhat a gimmick. I will be returning to chisels in a few releases.
@Galena and bauxite - all biomes. I thought I avoided mentioning most of the biome-specific ores
@magma - it is currently instant, perhaps I need to make that more obvious.
@pebbles - Shit, i addressed that in the release video but not in the tutorial. It's related to this bizarre new glitch.
***All pebble recipes for hand tools use string, not cord. This is a feature, kind of.
@lead blocks - they kill babies.
@aluminum - yep
@zinc - only when they are first powered. You need to design a redstone pulse machine to consistently fight shrooms. Same effect on nether growth and shrooms.
@it is correct that it doesn't damage you, but as to the explosion size, I havn't looked at that code in a while. Must be time to do so.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Ah, now I understand zinc. When you (tutorial) said "first powered" I thought that meant if you turned it off then the block was expired and could no longer be charged.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

UtakaraJ6,

A possible bug.
- Configuration file for BTW 4.20 is default.
- MediateCraft I turned off Hardcore Glass.
- No other mods installed.

I started a new world (seed: Navaho, large biome). Exploring nearby I found a Well and in the middle of the well is a Pulley. I uninstalled MediateCraft, remade world, and saw that no pulley is generated. Reinstalled MediateCraft, remade world once more, and and the pulley is generated.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

hahaha, no, that's a tiny feature! I'd been waiting for someone to notice it. Relics of a past civilization....and also something we're going to come back to later on (yes, I know, I say that about everything!). It's been around since release 1.0~

I must say, though, I definitely appreciate the format you used for reporting this. That's just what I like to see.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

I do have to admit that the Navaho seed is not exactly the best for MediateCraft hunter-gather stage. Two temples and two villages nearby have made this much easier. However, I am having fun exploring the desert and the harvesting the various chemicals.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the tech tree. My understanding is:
- I have to be able to harvest cinnamon to get balsa.
- To be able to harvest cinnamon I need a hatchet.
- The hatchet is a end tool for the hunter-gatherer age.

However, balsa is only used to make tools for the hunter-gathering stage. I can't use it to make a crafting bench. Once I am able to harvest balsa for what do I use it? Is it intended to be used for creating a stock of HG tools until you can escape the desert and find an alternate wood source?
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Well, actually it's (yet again) something with another use coming. But the CT makes perfect sense if balsa can make bowls and beds. I'll add in that recipe right this second. (Definitely feeling your pain about starting in deserts. Did you know vanilla code technically doesn't allow spawning there? Guess that code is just broken.)
Here's my playthrough base - lack of meat is my biggest woe.
Spoiler
Show
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Food is also a problem for me. I've hit starvation twice despite the villages many wheat plants. Only wheat has kept me alive.

Technically, I spawned in the desert. However, about 30 blocks north is a swamp (nothing but sheep, shrooms, and water) and south/west is an iceplains. East is just more desert.

I can use the villages to get plenty of cereal but at .5 hunger each it takes a lot to keep up. I can't make mushroom soup without a stewing pot & maintaining the fire means nether or a lot of wood. No lava yet... And sheep are just for wool. I found pumpkins, but I can't eat them.

There is a temple nearby, so it probably has iron and now that I have a stone pick I can safely get in/out. My big hope is to find melon seeds.

Probably sounds whiny, but the challenge is interesting. My concern is that I am spending too much time hunting food. All I need is 2 pigs, cows, or chickens blast it!

Edit:

Possible recipe bug:
- Have flint from gravel
- Have cord from flax plant (my first one just grew!)
- Have stick from dead bush

Tried to make a stone chisel. Recipe didn't work. Went into tutorial to confirm the recipe. It worked. Went back into my world and tried to make a chisel. Didn't work.

Note that I am using the village's workbench and not my own. I also tried this with my 2x2, but it didn't work either.

utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Damnit! I would give just about anything to know what's causing this. Seriously, adding recipes is the absolute simplest thing a mod can do!
Try deleting the entire minecraft folder (save your saves, screenshots, configs, stats); get a fresh jar from the 'jangsters and install it all again. Aparently it worked for Phi above. Please create a new world just to briefly test this problem.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Reinstall & new world did not fix it. I tried the dagger and chisel cord + flint recipes with no luck.

Now this is going to seem weird, but... I dumped the cord, flint, and sticks I harvested from my inventory & replaced with 64 of each from the creative menu. Then I tried the recipe and it worked. I re-gathered the items I dropped. They merged with the stack from creative. Then I tried the recipe again. Success.

Edit:
Did some further testing.

1. Cleared inventory.
2. Harvested 1 stick, flint, and cord. Result: Recipe did not work. (gamemode 0)
3. Used creative to get 1 stick, flint, and cord. Did not merge stacks. Result: Recipe for creative menu items worked. Recipe for harvested items did not work. Combining creative (flint) and harvested (stick, cord) did not work.
4. Merged creative stack into the harvested stack. Result: Recipe did not work.
5. Merged a newly harvested stack into the creative stack. Result: Recipe did work.

It seems that when creative items are used (gamemode doesn't matter, just source) then the recipe works. When harvested items are used it fails. Merging into a creative stacks causes the harvested items to be usable. Merging into a harvested stack causes the creative items to be unusable.

This does not apply to sting & pebbles. It does apply to cord & flint.
Last edited by PatrickSJ on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saucyjohn

Post by saucyjohn »

Hey I am currently working on the Let's Play Series I wanted to do for your mod but I have run into a problem. Does your 1.45 version work with BTW 4.16? Currently BTW 4.20 crashes my game because I use Optifine. The reason I use Optifine is because I can't play Minecraft without Sonics Unbelievable Shaders. Having said that I understand If I can't do a Let's Play because of my decision to use Optifine. I have tried really hard to figure out a way to get GLSL working withou Optifine but Better than Wolves immediately cancels out GLSL as soon as I install it. I have tried MCPatcher as well. Nobody seems to have a solution to my problem. Loving your mod by the way. It's awesome. I will go ahead and try to install it with BTW 4.16. If you don't want me doing a Let's Play then just let me know. Thanks!!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I'm really enjoying the mod, it's much more interesting mining when you don't just fill an inventory that's 90% cobble, but you haven't just included extra ores for 50 types of pickaxe!

Thanks for doing the tutorial map as it helps show the progression and different features well, and how they fit in with BTW (however there is a torch missing in the first redstone AND gate by the desert though, and also the lava burns though one of the gearboxes and prevents a later bellows from working).

Not sure if this helps, but it might be a possible insight to the crafting bug.

When clay was dropped from one of the ores (tried this in 1.42, I think it's removed now?), I noticed that I couldn't use it to craft clay blocks, only natural clay balls would form into the blocks, even though the ones from mining would still stack just fine, they wouldn't craft (normal clay, not kaolin or feldspar).

Perhaps there is some difference to the sticks/cord gained from some of the methods that causes them to not be accepted by the crafting recipes? Also the crafting recipe for saplings to sticks can only use the right hand side of the 2x2 crafting box.

Personally I had no issues with the flint recipes, but couldn't craft anything using pebbles (with string or cord, tried both to be sure), but possibly it was the sticks at fault?

Also I noticed on 1.45 that the cotton crops don't show their growth stages any more, but can still be harvested fine if enough time has passed for them to be fully grown.

I also have Sargunster's mod installed, but hopefully there are no conflicts there.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

@ "Does everything work with BTW4.16" Yes it does...for now.

This crafting info is good stuff, guys. I've got a feature freeze on the mod until I can get this worked out. Literally, though, I can't for the life of me understand why it would be. Unless....holy shit. What if these items are dropping with damage values they shouldnt? It only happens with clay and cord and other items which are dropped by BLOCKS with damage values which aren't OH YES! Hold on!

EDIT: and then with merging stacks, the game realises the damage values shouldn't exist under certain circumstances.....yes...yes...
EDIT2: HA! They don't craft because they don't exist! I can fix this in like 20 minutes! Everyone, hold your saves - I'll have a hotfix coming your way any moment now! *insane relieved laughter*
Spoiler
Show
EDIT3: Attention! Mediate v1.46 fixes all issues with crafting recipes. Please regard "Trouble with Crafting?" on the OP for solutions to older worlds (which are still absolutely playable - I do like mine!) Thanks so much to PatrickSJ for helping me figure out the solution to my most complicated bug yet. Just for that, no Adfly this time.

However, for those making let's play videos, I'm going to insist that you start post-1.45 worlds. I don't want this vestigial issue appearing there. Also please note pebble hand tools now use cord again, not string.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
saucyjohn

Re: MediateCraft v1.46 - All recipes fixed!

Post by saucyjohn »

Well I am happy to present you with the first part of my Mediatecraft Let's Play. I already have upgraded 1.46 so I am starting a new world and trying to get everything I need to continue where I left off. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/qtX_5qpGmoE
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

the changes of 1.45 were really smooth. i was wondering why things didn't worked like that while playing 1.44 XD ... now let's try 1.46 : D

(since you say that you fixed recipes maybe is already fixed, but in 1.44 i wasn't able to craft redstone eyes with neither lapiz nor lazurite)

Edit: i tried to craft redstone eyes in 1.46 with no avail :c, and in fact, while trying other aproachs i put some lazurite on the millstone to get lapis lazuli and each lazurite gave me 8 rose red dye instead XD. is that normal?
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Oh, the red dye is just a wrong variable. I fixed it, but I'm not going to release just for that. As to the redstone eye, what happened is that I'm using an old FC base recipe. Swap out the three gold nuggets for 1 gold ingot, and I'll have that one fixed in the next release too.

@video: That was wonderful. I'm going to have to fight to not use the Shaders myself, now. I must say I quite like the direct path you took, whereas I seem to get most of the other hand tools before the hatchet... Anyway, I'm not going to give you any suggestions besides that you should probably talk about cord at some point, since it's now required for the hatchet. Thanks for your work!
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
saucyjohn

Post by saucyjohn »

Utakata,

Thanks for the awesome review on the video. I am having so much fun with your mod. It's absolutely awesome!! I appreciate your input a lot and so I made a second episode here with the new recipe changes and I covered the primary basic tools. If you see that I need to change or add anything please feel free to suggest anything you want. I want this Let's Play to honor your work. I am trying to promote it everywhere I can so that people can see what an awesome mods Better than Wolves and Mediatecraft are. Here is the link and if you have any ideas where else I can post the video to get some promotion for it then let me know. Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgbFgAqbcU
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Oh, publicity for Let's Plays is a real nuisance - I never could really achieve it. There are two main ways - one, tag a lot of related things (ie, Minecraft, plains, BTW, mediate, let's, play, and so on...); that will bring in random people, and if they like the vids - which I imagine they will - then they will keep coming back.

I've pm'd you about the content itself.

EDIT: Oh, at the one point where you teetered over the precipice, I just kept thinking "MIND THE GAPS!" - I had just found a nice quartz deposite in a Taiga far from home, only to rediscover hardcore glass and fall 40 meters to my death....
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

while playing a little today with 1.46 i noticed that conglomerate seems to be dropping limestone : D oh, and while BTW achieves to make minecraft fun again, your mods manages to making mining fun again :P