MediateCraft - messages for all

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: MediateCraft v1.40 Precursor to what?

Post by FlowerChild »

utakataJ6 wrote:Hm, yes. As it happens, I was looking around to see just how integral these things would be, and I have to say, they make a huge difference. I was experimenting with various ways to adjust the system (hopper filters, bellows-blowing), to see if I could make a suggestion and be more helpful. That's the only reason I waited - certainly don't want any dick points. I apologize once again, and I'll move this to the hook request topic as well.
Read through the OP for the add-on hook request thread. I DON'T want suggestions as to *how* to implement hooks. That isn't useful: just annoying.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Blast. Got it. I'll be sure to read each of the OPs carefully again... obviously I need to avoid any more violations or nuisances.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

A few more things I noticed:
-Left clicking on the Antique Gin will open it as if you right-clicked it, making it impossible to break unless you're on Creative (where a single click breaks it)
-Does the orientation of the Antique Gin matter? No matter how it's put it can only be powered from above and below, and will send items sideways (like the millstone).
-To obtain silver, aluminium etc. you need to obtain a Crucible. That means you can't have silver needles in the Saw tier like you said, unless I'm missing an obvious way to obtain Silver ingots.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Itamarcu wrote:A few more things I noticed:
-Left clicking on the Antique Gin will open it as if you right-clicked it, making it impossible to break unless you're on Creative (where a single click breaks it)
-Does the orientation of the Antique Gin matter? No matter how it's put it can only be powered from above and below, and will send items sideways (like the millstone).
-To obtain silver, aluminium etc. you need to obtain a Crucible. That means you can't have silver needles in the Saw tier like you said, unless I'm missing an obvious way to obtain Silver ingots.
1. Interesting. I'll look into that immediately.
2. That's a feature - it's intended to function similarly because they're very similar machines. Hence, gears on top and bottom of the recipe. I might mess around with the texture, so that the "face" never shows on top and this is more obvious.
3. Also a feature, though silver is the exception, because miner villagers will trade silver ingots, and librarians will trade silver needles directly. There was a bug where Librarians wouldn't trade needles in 1.40, but it's been fixed since. You should still be able to get the ingots.

EDIT/UPDATE 9/23: I've basically finished all the tweaks and fixes needed from the tutorial, and I'm itching to take a proper look at Hardcore Buoy, but at the moment I've really got my hands tied on a certain feature which I refuse to abandon. There's a chance we'll have a full release Saturday night if Wednesday is REALLY productive, but most likely it will just be another preview on Friday night / saturday morning. We shall see.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

After fighting with one feature for almost a week, and not getting a single thing done, today was very productive: the picture on the OP demonstrates upcoming compatibility with Hardcore Buoy... but that's not all, is it?

EDIT: Alright, Mediate Prerelease 1.41 is packaged and ready to go - I'm just waiting on any surprise BTW updates tomorrow. Once again, there will be no release video, and I still can't release the tutorial map due to spoilers, but worry not - I'll keep everyone informed.

This time the change log is so big I'll want it in a spoiler!
EDIT: Released ~ heading right back into the code base to work more.

Upcoming design change: Vines, when mined by hand, are going to give us an item called "cord." Likewise, wool will be craftable into "cord" and this item will drop from a new flower. Cord's only function is to be a much-needed alternative to string at the beginning of the game.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Svartwolf

Re: MediateCraft v1.42* HUGE last release before Tutorial

Post by Svartwolf »

I've recently created a new world with latest mediate craft and BTW (1.46), mc patcher and modloader, I will post more stuff once I've played a little more, but just a question, i'm in a extreme hills biome looking for string for my first hatchet and i've come across various gold on the mountains (over sea level) and now i've found a diamond deposit also over the sea level... is that meant to happen?

also, trying the new hardcore wood, but i frankly stuck thinking where I can get string for my first hatchet. the rest doesnt feel that bad, since I at least found a little gravel deposit in a near cave. but are you expecting the player to kill spiders with it's fists? (since i cant craft a wooden sword) or is now an alternative source of string that i don't know? if not maybe the string in the recipe is a little too much? :s

Edit: oh i've found the string alternative on the previous post XD don't know why i skipped that part. still... is not yet implemented? XD

Edit 2: continiuning the Hardcore wood adventures! finally string! the process to get it was rather lucky and unlucky really XD the first night was horrible really, i made camp near a lava source for light and defenses and did a little channeling with dirt, managing to burn some zombies that attacked, and since some strange reason pigs love to drink lava, i get a steady supply of cooked porkchops XD.
my luck improved when a couple of wolves spawned near dawn from a near taiga biome and i managed to tame 2 with a meager 3 bones i got from some nearby sun bathing skeletons and my survival depended on my 3 new friends : D (I bred a wolf pup, plus i've started recolecting dung ... and i dont have even a crafting table XD)
At the coming of the second night i was determined to agrro a single spider and with my wolves manage to kill it. but suddenly all that spawned were creepers D:. after entering stealth mode i found a lonely spider ! and killed it.. only to find nothing :c neither with the second one.. the third one though gave me string... (3 pieces!) but out of nothing it called it's friends and i was desesperated struggling against 3 spiders while my wolves danced in a nearby pond D:. somehow I survived, caved a little hole on the dirt and waited for dawn XD. now to get some wood and some proper defenses :P.
I posted all this because i believe that the hardocre wood idea needs a lot of tweaking (since if the wolves wouldnt have spawned i would have hated my life DX) but i did have lots of fun that "hunting night" XD. So hardcore wood does have lots of potential : )
Last edited by Svartwolf on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Wow, man, I really like what I'm seeing here.
Mucho Kudos.
saucyjohn

Post by saucyjohn »

Man I must say I love what I am seeing as well. When I first started my adventure I was really excited especially because it reminded me of Terrafirmacraft and by that I mean it was much more fun trying to survive the first few nights. But unfortunately that joy ended too quickly when I was able to find string and pebble and I crafted a wooden pickaxe right away.

But I really like how you changed a lot of the vanilla stuff like how the tools you use have an impact on the game.

Because I am looking for a much deeper game play experience to Minecraft I would really love to see the survival aspect look more like Terrafirmacraft. And I use that name because its a good point of reference not because your mod should be like Terrafirmcraft in imitation. Just in concept.

I hope you are open to suggestions especially since I know I haven't contributed anything to this forum. These are just my suggestions and nothing more. Just cause I am giving you my ideas doesn't mean I don't like your mod. I think its amazing!!

My first suggestion would be to modify the world gen so that ores spawn in specific levels. Like coal for instance. Coal shouldn't be as rampant as it is normally in minecraft. Along with diiamonds and other ores. Its everywhere.

Next I would remove the normal method of making a wooden pickaxe and actually require a tool to carve one. Like a knife. A knife made out of flint maybe. But I wouldn't stop there. I would make the flint harder to find and I would change the amount of flint needed to make tools. So for a hatchet, for instance, you would need a total of 24 flint pieces to craft a hatchet head. So combining 6 sets of 4 flint to make the hatchet head and then using that with twine made from 12 string (3 sets of four pieces of string or vines) and a bunch of sticks combined to make a handle and the handle would require twine as well around the sticks.

I have a few more ideas but the general direction is to make Steve work to survive thus adding to that much needed survival aspect. But then again maybe that's not what your mod is all about and that's cool man just wanting that survival experience to be longer and more enjoyable.

Regardless you are doing a great job and I am really enjoying your mod in spite of my stupid ideas. Thank you working so hard to bring us such an amazing piece of work. I am so looking forward to your progress and I would love to donate if it would help you continue to make quality work!
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Thank you both so much for your commentary!

@mountain ores: that's a feature. The point is that now it's actually worthwhile to make mountain bases, so you're not just wasting a ton of time. But I am going to move diamonds and redstone up higher inside the mountains now that I think on it.

@TheRest:
Yes, hardcore wood has been in intense development for about two weeks, and as you pointed out, string is the weakness. I have a couple of comments (and remember, the tutorial island coming with the final version of 1.4 is going to explain all in a very easy format.)

The best weapon for killing spiders is pebbles. Pebbles can be thrown! Throw them at glass too. And they're basically the only way to deal with creeper dungeonsssss...

Also, as one of you says, unfortunately the string alternatives aren't implemented yet, but they will be soon. At the moment, I actually feel that getting string is simply too hard for a brand-new player. The other thing that is too difficult to get at the beginning is food - but worry not! There are still 2 last handtools and 2 more defensive blocks to be developed, which will fix these predicaments.

Azdoine, I'm not really comfortable with that yet, but I do appreciate the suggestions. And they're not stupid. I love suggestions. Once you see the last handtool, I think you'll see what I'm doing about them~ This is going to work very well with Flowerchild's upcoming Hardcore Beds/Spawning, so that you will be surviving even late into the game.

Finally, Svartwolf: That testimony was AMAZING. In my first hardcore wood playthrough, I found myself sniping creepers with pebbles hastily dug from rocks. Battle of the ravine! When I hear things like that, I make mental notes of people to invite to the multiplayer tests next month ;)
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
saucyjohn

Post by saucyjohn »

Throw pebbles!! That's awesome. I love that!! How did I miss that? Is that in one of your videos? Seen only five of them.
Last edited by saucyjohn on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Oh heavens no. These tools have certain uses, but eventually you still move on in the tech tree. They're never worthless, though - for example, nothing but the trowel will let you get marble if you've disabled world generation.

The guide is the tutorial map I'll have coming out soon, but there IS a picture of Pebbles v. Hardcore glass on the OP

In other news: I am as jumpy as a small child over the block I just added. Like, if you think of the single most requested block in minecraft history, something good for redstone, and give it BONUS FEATURES, that's what you've got coming. Just ironing out bugs.... !$#!^@%$ ....and then, voila! Oh, the possibilities are just endless.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Bug report!

When you shift-click Cotton armor, since it is stackable, if you shift-click a stack of 2 or more clothes you will "wear" both.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Thanks Ita... (blast. That one's going to be a nuisance to fix...)

So, apparently it takes 4 fully-cocked pebbles to kill a spider/skelleton on hard, 5 for a creeper, 6 for a zombie.
Oh, and creeper dungeons are impossible.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

utakataJ6 wrote: Azdoine, I'm not really comfortable with that yet, but I do appreciate the suggestions. And they're not stupid. I love suggestions.
Um... Thanks, but I didn't even suggest anything.
Have I been posting in my sleep again?

EDIT: I think you got my post and saucyjohns post mixed up =P
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Seen your videos on rock transformations, is it like it is in there, meaning the rocks change instantly? Wouldn't make more sense if the rocks changed over time, kinda like the cracked and mossy bricks on BTW?

Also, just curious, is this mod kinda taking a similar approach as TFC?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Az, faux pas! Bear with me~

Yeah, I need to update that video - erosions, the changes involving water, now take time to be completed. In fact, that actually reminds me that I should remove those videos.... they're just release notes. They tend to get outdated. Thankfully, I'll have the tutorial (and a playthrough of it) up with the next release. I usually don't get much work done on a release till Wednesday, but...today was productive.

As to TFC, I hadn't even heard of it until yesterday - I stopped following mods in general half a year ago. On looking it up, I'd say not really...the overall philosophy is geared towards later in the tech tree. I just happened to totally redo the beginning as well, and a lot's being said about that because that's what this release is focused on. I'm still throwing in things for later on, however - Ie, i've probably invested a good 24 hours total on titanium and silver blocks in the last three weeks, which aren't available anywhere near the beginning of the mod.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Well, I look forward to see where this goes. If I ever play SSP again I'll be sure to try this mod, it looks really interesting
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

I appreciate it. (It's the comments here that keep me working, anyway...besides personal satisfaction.)

I want you to know, though, multiplayer is priority #1 the second minecraft 1.4 hits. I want it as bad as everyone else, and I'm willing to put in the work ~_~

EDIT: BAM. Just optimized the "graphic" lead-zapping code. Now it only kills babies, for real. Tell me that's not in the spirit of better than wolves. Now I just can't wait to apply it to baby zombies! Image:
Spoiler
Show
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
TheLordOfDerp

Post by TheLordOfDerp »

Mobs should run away from you when your wearing the gimp suit because of its, um... holes...
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

TheLordOfDerp wrote:Mobs should run away from you when your wearing the gimp suit because of its, um... holes...
Who's to say they wouldn't run -towards- you?
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Heh. One way or another...

So, I keep playing through mediate from the beginning, now that I've got proper string sources and more, and I've encountered a problem again. Food. Food at the very beginning. Even though you apparently can't die of hunger, we have a problem.
Food right now:
Spoiler
Show
*Stews - removed from beginning of tech tree
*Cooked meat - cannot be obtained before furnace (ie, before hand tools)
*Bread - cannot be obtained before furnace and millstone (ie, before hand tools)
*Raw meat - inefficient
*Apples - limited to certain biomes
The way I see it, I have two options. One, I hijack the starting chest and also add melons - which I already mean to do, but it's proving damn impossible to find the source location.

Two...what do people in hunter-gather societies typically eat? *turns on age of empires brain*....................berries?

EDIT: Alright, so we're looking at Cherries (from small trees) and Cereal (Craft from any seeds) as starting food sources currently, with honey (from Kaos' former deco add-on) added to the list in early november. Thoughts?
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

If you're going for a hunter-gatherer tech level, then you shouldn't eliminate the hunter part in my opinion. Perhaps a campfire cooking mechanic? Whether it be multiblock(place a cobble half-slab a block above a fire and throw the meat on it) or a new block with a UI or whatever. It's a little inconsistent in my mind to have one half of a primitive diet, especially considering meat/vegetation availability in different biomes(historically of course, I have no idea what level of depth you are going to in the add-on). Anyways, just my two cents. I'm looking forward to when I have time to play through this :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

utakataJ6 wrote: Two...what do people in hunter-gather societies typically eat?
Fish, fruits/berries, meat (in certain tribes it's human meat).

But IRL the meat you get from one animal is enough to feed a whole family for a few days, while in Minecraft it's barely enough to feed Steve for one day.
What about raising the hunger value of raw meat, while giving it a very high rate of food poisoning?
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Bear in mind, I'm trying to make the beginning more interesting, but not trying to drag it out forever. Currently it's not possible to get cobble slabs before the crafting table....but I might change that. It's a good multi-block idea, and you can already get cobblestone if you're clever with creepers, without nerfing cherries 'n grits since animals aren't sustainable at that stage.

Those are good points about hunting, though. I guess I'll add some kind of barbecue-r for when one is on the go, but it won't be essential.
Itamarcu, that's a great idea, but between it and a multi-block, I choose the multiblock. Thanks for the suggestion.
For those curious, Mediate currently adds about 90 blocks, using 13 block IDs. ;)

EDIT: Human meat!? And I was just thinking how well MeC lends itself to multiplayer and division of labor..........
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Hello everyone, a very tired Utak here....
So, after sacrificing all other work on the mod for a whole 2 days - including wednesday, my second-best day for coding - I present to you the Campfire block, crafted from a simple 2 cobble and 2 sticks. It is portable and wonderful for automation: drop any of the cookable foods or batters on top and they will be sucked in to be ejected as cooked items later. You cannot view the gui for this one; it holds 1 type of item. Think of placing burgers on a grill. Oh, and you can also light it with sticks!
Spoiler
Show
More on the workings: This block represents a big leap from gathering to hunting, moving from cereal, apples and cherries to much more satisfying mood. As such, you have to HUNT to get it. (How do I mean? Well, if you want this block before the furnace, you have to trick creepers into blowing up stone for you or use a chisel [requiring a dead spider] to mine that stone.)

The bad news is that I just probably delayed 1.4final quite a bit - not only have I lost half this week's coding, I also have to largely redo the tutorial island. The good news... well, it's a fun block, and I just learned so much about Tile Entities that I missed making the Gin... that the mod's central block will be far easier now.
morvelaira:
flowerchild: