MediateCraft - messages for all

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Larmantine

Re: MediateCraft v1.46 - All recipes fixed!

Post by Larmantine »

Tried your mod, quite fun, but later I uninstalled it because of one reason - your textures.

No offense, but some of your textures are really ugly, especially on blocks. Like the titanium block. Or there was one crazy rainbow block. Some of the sprites are not satisfying either. You should adapt a little more on vanilla textures. Some textures are beautiful. Like the silver block or the marble. But some seriously needs changing. Again, I don't want to offend you, your mod is great, adds tons of game play, but you must work on some textures. Please consider this.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

@conglomerate: oh, yep, look at that. Now what have I done this time? Please report any similar cases.
@Textures: ...hm, not entirely sure how to respond to that. I respect what you're saying for the most part - ie, I despise the lead glass block texture, which is unfortunate because I liked the concept, but I do rather like the Titan Block. I guess the bottom lines is that I'm not a texture modder unless I spend the obnoxious amount of time required for things like the marble block. I am certainly open to receiving block textures, should anyone care to invest, but I feel like since the old days of "Silvercraft" they've improved so much that I shouldn't feel bad about it as a whole.

EDIT: Got it. Very easy, just flipped a true/false pair. This patch(1 file) will fix it until 1.5 http://www.mediafire.com/?5wsbcp602z5dnfb
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

thanks for the fix :D though i probably will wait till 1.5 since is not a pressing matter for my world (since my biggest income of conglomerate comes from compacting that useless gravel XD

regarding textures, I don't see the big problem. textures are one of the singlest easiest things to change as an user, and while is true that there are some textures on the mod that make me want to rip my eyes out (like the opal block texture XD) they aren't exactly too important or common to actually be an issue. also, probably the most common and important decorative block (marble) have a quite good texture IMO.

to speak the truth i have been a little tempted to start a texture pack which would include BTW and MEC, but i'm not sure f i have the time to finish it DX and not in the mood of starting another project to left it half finished :c ...

maybe if you want though I could try to get some vanilla feel textures for some blocks that you don't feel like doing. i am seeing real life opals and conglomerates and they are beautiful :0, also i would like to try something with quartz since i love quartz IRL, though i haven't played much with quartz blocks in the mod since i have been mining mostly on a mountain biome and a plains biome.

also if some day mojang releases that long awaited extended blocks IDs is there a chance of making stone bricks of different materials, like marble, granite and stuff? maybe even add some carved blocks, since we have chisels : D
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

If it makes you guys feel better, I am planning on supporting MediateCraft in the Isabella II pack I'm working on.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Appreciate that support, guys.
@Svartwolf: At this point in the game, if a texture is in it's probably the last version I'm willing to do. Many of these blocks are on their fourth or fifth incarnation. The exceptions are the tinted glass and Nahcolite (baking soda ore), which I just went in and fixed. However I'm pretty open to new textures if you wish to provide them.
@New stone bricks: Hm, I hadn't really considered that, but I *DO* have extended ID plans, such as new siding, corners, etc made of marble and granite. Also stairs, which I've actually had in the mod in the past. Adding more shouldn't be difficult...unlike the insane amount of work required for this "easy 1-week release."

Anbaric - I like the idea of a texture add-on. I know that my png files are nightmares, since they're clogged up with unused pics. One very good piece of advice is that in the first three rows of the block png, the "ores with a lighter tint to the stone" (12 or 13 of them) are not and never will be used on blocks - they only show up as the "flying pieces" when mining crystals.

Oh yeah, 1.5 tomorrow.
Spoiler
Show
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Psion

Post by Psion »

Oh my. that poor village, lol XD

As far as textures go, i love the marble, but a few of them, like the gemstones, do look rather out of place to me. especially with the squareish imprint on the faces to make them look similar to emeralds. (personally i hate that with emerald blocks too, they should've left it more like diamond blocks >_<) I do admit the opal is a little erm... special. Main problem i have with that is that opals are indeed rainbow hued, but they have a base color of roughly grey-blue, with the iridescence over it in random splashes, not orderly streaks of color.

Some other blocks though, look plain awesome. like the zinc blocks. ^_^ those would look perfect for a high tech looking building, or maybe something that belongs in a mage's tower.

As far as the mod itself goes though, i am well impressed. The main suggestion i have on that is with the tutorial island, to put some sort of protection on the section on alkaline/alkali blocks, haha. I tried testing it in water, and the explosion took out the entire section, killed me after flinging me like 30 blocks into the air, and took out large parts of nearby sections of the island too. XD perhaps it should be adjusted so that experimentation doesn't kill you, or at least doesn't destroy other parts of the island you haven't yet explored? But since it seems like it still is unfinished, you might already have adjusted that or have plans, heh.

I did get quite a few laughs out of my first flying experience though. :D
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Hm, okay I see your point. Should I get that desperate about your textures again I will just have to wait for a texture pack or ultimately, do them myself.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Uploaded MediateCraft versio 1.50; changelog on OP.

Updated Mediate Skies tutorial map to v1.50 with suggestions from previous posts.

Uploaded release video for 1.50 to youtube.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Anbaric

Re: MediateCraft v1.50 - Earth-shattering!

Post by Anbaric »

Ok, I just downloaded the mod so I could see what textures there were, and I nearly fell off my chair. There's like 350+! I'm still planning on re-texturing them, but I'm going to need some sort of guide as to what these things are... Something like what Battosay did for the BTW textures. I know the opal from the chatter about "rainbow" and "opal", and zinc looks cool, I'll have to animate that one, but The others are beyond me. :/
Things about me.
Show
3:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Anbaric wrote:Ok, I just downloaded the mod so I could see what textures there were, and I nearly fell off my chair. There's like 350+! I'm still planning on re-texturing them, but I'm going to need some sort of guide as to what these things are... Something like what Battosay did for the BTW textures. I know the opal from the chatter about "rainbow" and "opal", and zinc looks cool, I'll have to animate that one, but The others are beyond me. :/
Yep, I'm already working on that for you. You'll be relieved to see the number drops far, far down when the unused sprites are taken out. Sorry!
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

How do you get the lava bucket for that recipe if HCB is on? Is there a method in this mod I missed?
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

utakataJ6 wrote:
Anbaric wrote:Ok, I just downloaded the mod so I could see what textures there were, and I nearly fell off my chair. There's like 350+! I'm still planning on re-texturing them, but I'm going to need some sort of guide as to what these things are... Something like what Battosay did for the BTW textures. I know the opal from the chatter about "rainbow" and "opal", and zinc looks cool, I'll have to animate that one, but The others are beyond me. :/
Yep, I'm already working on that for you. You'll be relieved to see the number drops far, far down when the unused sprites are taken out. Sorry!
Whew, thanks, but don't be sorry. ^_^
Things about me.
Show
3:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Mince, this is what I get for staying up so late trapping myself in fiery places. I meant to change that to a fire charge before the release. I'll do it for 1.6, but for now please temporarily switch on HCB when you wish to construct one. (After all, it shouldn't be happening too frequently anyway.)

Post to be edited soon with item and texture sheets.
EDIT: Cleaned-up sprite sheet: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?6988dirmsq5yd7n
Image:
Spoiler
Show
DL for text explanation of cleaned-up terrain sheet:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?kskwx8he4lawtxa

Items, you're kindof on your own. They're often used for multiple in-game items, or made to look like the recipe. Maybe start with tools - use creative mode to see which ones are already in the game. No new tools except the purple rod are coming for a long, long time.

EDIT 2: Updated to v1.51. Added config options to unlimit volcanic biomes; replaced lava bucket with fire charge in recipe. Full log on OP.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Samaritan attempt rendered irrelevant by flipping ninjas.
Better is the enemy of Good
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

DaveYanakov wrote:Samaritan attempt rendered irrelevant by flipping ninjas.
Ooh, appreciated anyway!

Proptip.... HMSOD for titanium is FAR easier to find after the first time. On my personal mediate survival world, I spent two hours combining a beach and found none; once I'd found a deposit in another place I returned to the same beach and found 26 HMSOD in ten minutes. All that ore balancing before v1.0 really paid off...
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Anbaric

Re: MediateCraft v1.51 - Earth-shattering!

Post by Anbaric »

I can't access a computer right now, so I'll ask. Those six green blocks beside each other, werent they each different from each other before? And what are they, Jade?
Things about me.
Show
3:
Psion

Post by Psion »

About your mediate skies, it mentions you need a diamond chisel to mine platinum and silver ore... but when i dig them up with the diamond chisel in the chest, they drop nothing at all. (same goes for bauxite and galena). mining them with a diamond pickaxe though, drops elemental silver and platinum ore. is this supposed to be like that? :x I had also tried to extract platinum from it's ore by right clicking with a diamond chisel with the platinum ore in the hotbar, but that also didn't do anything.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

@Green textures: yes and yes. I kept the one that tiled best, for now.
@Ores - verified. Now isn't that interesting, what have I done now...

EDIT: HA! This made my day. Apparently the BBC has been paying attention to MeC [Or not.]
Spoiler
Show
EDIT 2: NEWS: Please regard top of OP for important future information.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Hey all - in case anyone's wondering, we're still definitely rolling ahead full steam. I do have a TON of balancing to do to comply with FC's newest release, though, so don't expect a multiplayer update quite yet. MP testing is going quite well, however.

In the meantime, voila MeC 1.52
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Psion

Re: MediateCraft v1.52...

Post by Psion »

yeeeessss, shapeless flint and steel recipe. As silly as it sounds, i always screwed up by putting the iron on the bottom and spent several seconds being annoyed and getting the shape right. XD thanks for removing that minor pain!

Also, i approve of moar marble colors.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Thanks for the support, man. I was just going through my playthrough world, and I did just what you described for the thousandth time, and I lost it... I mean it says FLINT first, I put flint up top!
...as for the rest of you, where are my multiplayer volunteers? Otherwise I don't get why I'm working on MP instead of new features...
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Been a while since I posted an update, so here's the news:
All I've been working on is multiplayer, in my rare free time; however, considering that today I'm literally hurricane-d into home, I should have enough time to finally get this release out. See you all on the other side.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

i hev been extremly busy this weeks : c now that i have a little holydays on south american festivities of haloween (dia de todos lso santos) i may be available for some testing today night if you need :), havent updated minecraft to 1.42 either
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Yeah, I hear you. I'm still working, getting closer and closer, but as I said I have no experience with multiplayer coding so this is all learn-as-I-go. I appreciate you checking in though...I almost was hoping for an "update nao plz" post!

EDIT: Finally, some solid time to work. I've come a very long way, and theoretically MP should be working now - but things rarely work as well in actuality. Right now I can at least recompile, but now I've got the ever dreaded null-pointer errors to face. I'm planning on a MP release wednesday, so someone can get out a server and we can have a MP party by friday night or so.

EDIT 2: Yeah, fuck that basically... I'm only digging up more and more errors in-game. I'll have to just keep working, for now.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

You keep at it, there are only so many errors it can fling your way before it gives up and says "Fine! I'll work!"
Things about me.
Show
3: