MediateCraft - messages for all

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: MediateCraft v1.20 - Did you say Mechanical?

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a small observation on the Gin. I haven't looked at the functionality, but in terms of the recipe:

Generally with mech-power recipes, I try to indicate the power input side through where the gears appear in the recipe, so you might want to move the gear out of the center to follow that convention. Also, you might want to consider horizontal symmetry in the design, and shift the slats up to the top of the recipe, as I find that makes recipes much easier for players to remember as opposed to making mistakes as to what's on the left and what's on the right.
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.20 - Did you say Mechanical?

Post by utakataJ6 »

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. Appreciate the advice - I'll take you up on it. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I hadn't noticed the convention in the past.

MeC v1.21 coming in a short while here. EDIT: Added. Also, thanks for the support Az!
As to steam power.... but we're not even done with cotton! *Misty eyes*

EDIT 2: Just saw the "head block" on MCF....I am NOT amused. This makes implementing a guillotine entity far less fun.
...Therefore, I went and commited an extra crime against humanity for MeC v1.3 ~_~

EDIT 3: Update patch for BTW 4.11 - simply install drag the two files in MeC v1.22 into Minecraft.jar, AFTER installing BTW 4.11 and Mediate 1.21
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.30 - Fair Trade Edition (massive info)

Post by utakataJ6 »

Mediate Craft version 1.30 released - masssive changelog and documentation, regard OP.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: MediateCraft v1.30 - Fair Trade Edition (massive info)

Post by FlowerChild »

You do realize you're redistributing my base-class changes, and thus BTW code yes?

Shutting you down man. Not cool.
utakataJ6

Re: MediateCraft v1.31 - Objectives Achieved

Post by utakataJ6 »

New version released, compliant with all discussed rules.

Many changes, including ability of zinc to wipe out nether groth :)
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
blackwrensniper

Post by blackwrensniper »

Is this going to be SMP compatible or is it currently (and our sever admin is just doing something wrong)?
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

blackwrensniper wrote:Is this going to be SMP compatible or is it currently (and our sever admin is just doing something wrong)?
It's not going to be server-compatibile until Halloween and Minecraft 1.4.
I'm very sorry, but there are two reasons for that. One, Flowerchild's method of multiplayer is not yet very friendly to add-ons (that would be extra work); and two, I'd rather not have multiplayer worlds of mediatecraft until I know I won't be nagging at saves - like deleting all pre-1.31 quartz in this update. I can't be sure of that until the extended block IDs come out with 1.4, I'm afraid.

However, no matter where I am in the mod, when extended block IDs come I will attack multiplayer mode like a pterodactyl spotting raw flesh.

In other news... what can I post news about... The New Age content is coming rather slowly, because of a quirk in the vanilla code. Feel free to entertain me with any comments about features or balance. Or suggestions. I like making things useful, and many ideas come spur-of-the-moment: for example, I was working on putting in the newest chemicals, and realized I had baking in the game and baking soda, so obviously I should use them together.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

glad to see that you sorted out your problem with the mod and are again up : )

i loveall teh materials your mod adds, though they are still in a very early stage, interested in seeing all the uses they get in the future.
regarding suggestions, i like how you implemented the rock cycle to enable adquisition withouth world gen. but i have a problem with teh erosion part :/ i know that erosion is a natural process, but the way it is implemented doesn't feel right.. as a suggestion, change the natural erosion with a forced artificial erosion mechanism, so you can use the igneous rocks in construction withouth fearing a stray current of water destroying your biulding like if it was acid.

maybe the igneous rock first needs to recieve a redstone signal, so the block is powered, and then a current of water should run above the block, (similar to how you farm mossy brickstone) soaking it until it erodes it (the explanation would be that the redstone current would weaken the structure of the rock, so the process of erosion would speed up)

another suggestion would be less chemical and a little more fantastical, making that the process of erosion creates a byproduct, so you actually would want to do the process (becasue gravel or sand aren't exactly the most exacting blocks to farm) something lke geting an residue of the clasic elemental water or fire (if i remember corrrectly there is speculation that the four clasic elements have an impact on the BTW lore, hinted on the canvases) that byproduct could be further processed on a mill or in a hopper to get a more refined elemental substance : D

hoping that the suggestion makes sense and looking forward to the development of this mod : D (also loving the marble and the quartz :P, is posible to make quartz blocks look more like ice rather than glass?)
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Don't know if you have considered this already, but you should definitely create a wiki for your add on. It's pretty huge and it would nice to find something specific.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Svartwolf wrote:glad to see that you sorted out your problem with the mod and are again up : )

i loveall teh materials your mod adds, though they are still in a very early stage, interested in seeing all the uses they get in the future.
regarding suggestions, i like how you implemented the rock cycle to enable adquisition withouth world gen. but i have a problem with teh erosion part :/ i know that erosion is a natural process, but the way it is implemented doesn't feel right.. as a suggestion, change the natural erosion with a forced artificial erosion mechanism, so you can use the igneous rocks in construction withouth fearing a stray current of water destroying your biulding like if it was acid.

maybe the igneous rock first needs to recieve a redstone signal, so the block is powered, and then a current of water should run above the block, (similar to how you farm mossy brickstone) soaking it until it erodes it (the explanation would be that the redstone current would weaken the structure of the rock, so the process of erosion would speed up)

another suggestion would be less chemical and a little more fantastical, making that the process of erosion creates a byproduct, so you actually would want to do the process (becasue gravel or sand aren't exactly the most exacting blocks to farm) something lke geting an residue of the clasic elemental water or fire (if i remember corrrectly there is speculation that the four clasic elements have an impact on the BTW lore, hinted on the canvases) that byproduct could be further processed on a mill or in a hopper to get a more refined elemental substance : D

hoping that the suggestion makes sense and looking forward to the development of this mod : D (also loving the marble and the quartz :P, is posible to make quartz blocks look more like ice rather than glass?)
First I'll answer the wiki question:
I'm open to the idea, but I'm not willing to run it at the moment... don't have the time. I AM steadily getting better at documentation, however. And I know I should take more screenshots.... I'll keep working on that.

@Less chemical, more fantastical:
When I revived the mod from it's last state, I had a stack of about 10 sheets filled to the brim with my petite handwriting. Notes, notes, notes. They say if you can write the pseudocode, you can write the code. Anyway, written in red marker on on of those sheets is "USE LESS CHEMISTRY!!!" I recognize this is a fantasy game...I'm working on that aspect.

@rock cycle:
you raise a fairly valid point, especially considering how likely I am to use marble or granite as a building material. I could do something like what you said, having the blocks only change when a redstone current is applied... but I'm not sure it fits with my understanding of minecraft lore.... Let's say that I accept this as a great suggestion, but I need to development it further.

HOWEVER, the bonus for using the cycle is both a brillient idea and increeeedibly easy to implement. I just need to consider it carefully. In fact, I can feel a few ideas coming on.... who likes fossils? What about stored oil deposites? (Although I wouldn't implement that until I know the next BTW energy type) Give me some suggestions for items that could pop out when you do an erosion or magmarization.

Also, someone ought to play around with the zinc block vs nether groth system. Remember you can get zinc from sphalerite and melt it inthe crucible... I have some options for a coming release based on what kind of reviews that gets.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

News, news, news. I'm going to hold off on a big update this weekend, although if BTW updates I'll post a pre-release so we can stay running top-speed.

There's a whole lot coming this time around, and I can't really release it partially without breaking Minecraft (in the sense that, well, it'd be like taking out redstone and not providing an alternative.) The changes are all logged, but each is taking time to implement and keep bug-free.

Additionally, I'm finally recognizing that I HAVE to have better documentation here, so I've sacrificed a good five hours already into making a tutorial map, a-la Runescape's Tutorial Island. (Never cared for the game, but it sure had an effective tut.) The tutorial should be much more fun than trying to follow all the release notes or watching outdated videos.

Here's a picture of my work on the tutorial island.
Spoiler
Show
Also, check out the OP picture library for new updates.
Last edited by utakataJ6 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

What is that crazy rainbow block?
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Sarudak wrote:What is that crazy rainbow block?
That's an opal storage block. It's actually been in the game since version 0.8 or so, but it takes nine opals to craft.
At 20 quartz per forest/taiga biome, 1 onyx per 21 quartz deposite, and 1 opal per 19 onyx crystals, that makes this far and away the current most annoying block in the game to obtain. (At the moment, that is.)

...therefore, a natural choice for a tutorial world.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I'll try this mod now that it's again compatible with BTW. Looks like you really are doing a great job!

A small question: Does the "better mountains" feature mean you find rare resources only in mountains, or just in any level above 68?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

It means that the resources generate in two sets in mountain biomes: from 0-68 like everywhere else, and then again from 64 to 132 - the point is just that you aren't wasting tons of metatime by making a mountain base. And geographically it fits right as well. FC talked about this a while back, but it wasn't in the BTW philosophy to do. Mediate, though? Sure thing.

To comment on what you said about compatibility: I should clear that up more. Originally, you'd have to have the latest versionof MeC to play a new release of better than wolves. After speaking with FC I changed that so that any version of BTW will work with any version of Mec (so long as MeC is installed second); HOWEVER, that's not going to take effect until the next version! In other words, if BTW updates tomorrow there will be a brief period where MeC doesn't work. I'll be free all day tomorrow, though, and standing by to whip out a prerelease.

In other news, putting together this tutorial I've gotten to play through BTW from the beginning for the first time in ages, and wow, is it wonderful. I'm glad to be adding to the best mod for minecraft, period ~
Last edited by utakataJ6 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Thanks for the answers.
The mod is nice so far, but something bugs me. Is it intentional that bonemeal can be used to insta-grow Cotton?

Another weird behavior I noticed was that sometimes, when you right-click the cotton plant, it will suddenly update and grow.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Itamarcu wrote:Thanks for the answers.
The mod is nice so far, but something bugs me. Is it intentional that bonemeal can be used to insta-grow Cotton?

Another weird behavior I noticed was that sometimes, when you right-click the cotton plant, it will suddenly update and grow.
Blast... yes, it's intentional, because I forgot about hardcore bone completely. I havn't actually had time to investigate hardcore bone at all, would you mind linking me to or giving me a summary of its changes?

As for the right-clicking, I suspect I know why that is...we'll see if I can't fix it.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

utakataJ6 wrote: Would you mind linking me to or giving me a summary of its changes?
Here: http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... dcore_Bone

EDIT:
By the way, Hardcore Chicken changed chicken so that they can only eat seeds (any type of seed). You probably also want to add them the ability to eat cotton seeds as well.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Itamarcu wrote:
utakataJ6 wrote: Would you mind linking me to or giving me a summary of its changes?
Here: http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... dcore_Bone

EDIT:
By the way, Hardcore Chicken changed chicken so that they can only eat seeds (any type of seed). You probably also want to add them the ability to eat cotton seeds as well.
Thanks. The cotton-with-bonemeal change is very easily done, for the next release. Chickens eating cotton seed, however, requires a hook, and one too small for me to bother asking about it. (Bellows blowing items is a similar case.)

Pre-release 1.40 is out; much of the content is not included, however. You're probably best to ignore what's there for now. BIG thanks to FC for the hook allowing my green villagers to stay around.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

utakataJ6 wrote: Thanks. The cotton-with-bonemeal change is very easily done, for the next release. Chickens eating cotton seed, however, requires a hook, and one too small for me to bother asking about it. (Bellows blowing items is a similar case.)

Pre-release 1.40 is out; much of the content is not included, however. You're probably best to ignore what's there for now. BIG thanks to FC for the hook allowing my green villagers to stay around.
Hey man i just wanted to say that bellows blowing object and hoppers sorting objects (not sure if there's been a hook implemented for this since last time I looked) are both hooks that you really should request if they would be of use in your mod. I say this because even though it seems small the item sorting system is rather central to the feel and nature of BTW and so getting your items to work with it would be a big win. Also those hooks would be of value to all kinds of addons so I doubt FC would have any problem implementing them.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Sarudak wrote:
utakataJ6 wrote: Thanks. The cotton-with-bonemeal change is very easily done, for the next release. Chickens eating cotton seed, however, requires a hook, and one too small for me to bother asking about it. (Bellows blowing items is a similar case.)

Hey man i just wanted to say that bellows blowing object and hoppers sorting objects (not sure if there's been a hook implemented for this since last time I looked) are both hooks that you really should request if they would be of use in your mod. I say this because even though it seems small the item sorting system is rather central to the feel and nature of BTW and so getting your items to work with it would be a big win. Also those hooks would be of value to all kinds of addons so I doubt FC would have any problem implementing them.
You have a point there. I'll put out the word, but first I want to wait and see if millstone hooks come in.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Itamarcu

Re: MediateCraft v1.40 Precursor to what?

Post by Itamarcu »

The Marble block is really beautiful when making walls or pillars, but as flooring it has a problem - the edges of the block don't blend in well with other blocks, so it looks like a grid of blocks instead of a surface (like with other blocks). May I suggest that you slightly change them?

Here's a picture to show how it currently looks:
Spoiler
Show
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Itamarcu wrote:The Marble block is really beautiful when making walls or pillars, but as flooring it has a problem...
Ahhh....merd. Remember, this tutorial map has essentially served as a play-through, and when I noticed the same issue with Gneiss and Slate, I was tempted to dismiss it as low-priority.... But yes. I'll make a top-and-bottom texture for each of those blocks, which should mesh better. I've just been trying to keep my texture sheets organized, because as it stands they'll be a nightmare for anyone trying to make a tex pack... but at some point I need to man up and write an explanation sheet like Battosay did for FC a while back.

In other news, I'm nearly done with this map, so I'll soon get back to coding, and implementing all the little changes from the playthrough. One I noticed is that there is actually no way to START the plains rock cycle (marble, gabbro, stalagmite, limestone) with worldgen turned off, so I came up with a little fix for that ;)

[final picture TBU]
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

utakataJ6 wrote:You have a point there. I'll put out the word, but first I want to wait and see if millstone hooks come in.
Congratulations on your newly acquired dick-points! In combination with the previous redistribution of mod-files, you'll be leveled-up in no time!

As I've detailed elsewhere, I'm currently working on integrating additional support for add-on mods into BTW. Don't you think informing me about your needs so I can schedule my time appropriately instead of feeding me these in dribs and drabs would be wise?
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Hm, yes. As it happens, I was looking around to see just how integral these things would be, and I have to say, they make a huge difference. I was experimenting with various ways to adjust the system (hopper filters, bellows-blowing), to see if I could make a suggestion and be more helpful. That's the only reason I waited - certainly don't want any dick points. I apologize once again, and I'll move this to the hook request topic as well.

I finished the tutorial/playthrough, through MeC1.41 at least, so I can also get back to coding, and fixing all the tiny little discrepancies I've found.
Spoiler
Show
morvelaira:
flowerchild: