First vMC video you watched.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kazuya Mishima

First vMC video you watched.

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

So i managed to extract this from my bookmarks.

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlwOVPBIjCo&feature=plcp

This is the first video i ever saw regarding Minecraft. I remember surfing Shacknews and catching a glimpse of this "Logo-aesthetic" and becoming aware that i was seeing these grassy Lego blocks at various other locations at a rather high frequency. I looked at the title of the article and then went to YouTube to get a better visual representation of the game and was blown away by the notion of the survival aspect. I believe i bought the game seconds later before even finishing that video.

Anyway there is a whole series that occurs before the author abandons it and it IS NOT EXCITING by any means but it's still interesting to experience the nostalgia.

Anybody else have recall the first video they saw that introduced them to the game?
DxPanxD

Re: First vMC video you watched.

Post by DxPanxD »

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/289BSq/ww ... non-video/

Originally I thought the game was only building, which while fun, didn't seem liked it'd entertain me for long enough to be worth it. When I saw that cannon, and the massive cave it dug, I knew I had to have the game. Figured there was a lot more stuff I hadn't heard about yet, and it'd be fun to figure out that weird red powder and the matching torches.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I think the first video I watched was a recreation of a TF2 payload map (with a minecart playing the part of the bomb, of course).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I can't find it anymore, but it was in the early Alpha stage. An israeli website called VGames wrote a small article about a company (Microsoft? Valve? I don't remember) that is interested in buying Minecraft and/or hiring Notch. The article said this game was brilliant, and there was a short video about how to survive your first night in Minecraft and how to play it. I only saw the building+survival combo to think "I have to try this".
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

That one where the guy accidentally burns his friends house down. I had a good laugh over it ^.^

I'll try and post a link later
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

After reading something about it, I watched an episode of Gronkhs (a german youtuber) Minecraft LP. But at this time I already had the game.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Indras

Post by Indras »

Nice question, OP. I remember the exact video, even though it was almost two years ago. A coworker of mine was watching a youtube video, I looked over his shoulder, and judging by the graphics, assumed it was a homemade mod for Doom or Quake or something.
Spoiler
Show
He tried explaining to me what was going on in the video (he had headphones on, so I couldn't hear the audio). I watched it later that night and immediately purchased the game to try that stuff out, I was fascinated by redstone wiring.

This was before redstone repeaters, pistons, and a lot of other stuff we take for granted now. Heck, it was before we had pumpkins or the nether. I still have my first world that I really worked on, and vividly remember putting in pumpkin lights and a nether gate shortly after their release. I didn't abandon that world until lapis came out, and I learned that the land I had already explored and developed would *never* have lapis ore, so I had to start a new map in order to have them. I haven't really held on to a map for long since then.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Rianaru wrote:That one where the guy accidentally burns his friends house down. I had a good laugh over it ^.^

yeah i remember that but havn't tried to look for it. That was funny as hell. If i recall the guy was trying to make a fireplace in his house for aesthetic reasons. This was way before mojang domesticated fire.

edit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

The minecraft environment clearly had a tremendously high ratio of oxygen to other gases in it's atmosphere.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK7jpqrC ... 35B57338D1

Cant forget my first minecraft vid that also was the first minecraft LP I saw.

One letter: X

Edit: This f ing made me dowload mc Nostalgica and play alpha 1.1.2
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Just like the above, X was my god when I first started playing MC. I had started playing around the time that his 2nd episode was released and I was devastated when he stopped his MC series.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

First one I saw was the "How to survive your first night" video on the Minecraft website.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

I think the first I ever saw was the Zero Punctuation review of it. When he liked it, I figured I'd have to give it a go.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

paulsoraesjr's how to survive the first night.

then
coe's quest ep.1

i was hooked.
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
Mac

Post by Mac »

For me that would be this one, as far I remember anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXPCVZQSjU&feature=plcp

Didn't knew anything about minecraft back then, so my first thought was "wtf".
Sometime later I watched more videos and eventually got myself an account.
My Youtube channel.

finite8

Post by finite8 »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Rianaru wrote:That one where the guy accidentally burns his friends house down. I had a good laugh over it ^.^

yeah i remember that but havn't tried to look for it. That was funny as hell. If i recall the guy was trying to make a fireplace in his house for aesthetic reasons. This was way before mojang domesticated fire.

edit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

The minecraft environment clearly had a tremendously high ratio of oxygen to other gases in it's atmosphere.
Same. This sold it to me. I think it was because Penny Arcade linked to this video or something.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

I watched Seananner's first minecraft lets play video, and then I continued to watch the whole playlist. Those videos got me hooked on Minecraft.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I can't seem to find it now, but the first minecraft video was the old minecraft.net homepage video. I don't know if anyone still remembers it. I think it was called simply 'This Is Minecraft,' and I believe it was a timelapse of somepne flying around and simply showcasing the landscape. It was very simple, but it hooked me immediately.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I'm also one of those that got hooked by X's adventures in Minecraft. Every now and then I still find myself thinking that he should start a BTW LP. :P
Devdisigdu

Post by Devdisigdu »

Tekei wrote:I'm also one of those that got hooked by X's adventures in Minecraft. Every now and then I still find myself thinking that he should start a BTW LP. :P
Well from what I recall in the few episodes he did recently, He did mention trying out a few mods. So maybe some day.