solium infernum and what i have learned about my friends

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
simanick

solium infernum and what i have learned about my friends

Post by simanick »

Every semester a few of my friends and i get together and play this game, and every semester more ridiculous stuff happens. Of the last 4 games we have played i have won 2 but they were by the skin on my teeth. brutal backstabbing massive power swings and excommunication of near winners are just a small taste of the insanity this game inspires but more to the point. we started yesterday and are 10+ turns in and i final realized that these are the same people i will be playing anarchy play with better then wolves with when it is out. The shear malice we show to each other in solium will only be more so in anarchy play with BTW and i am vary much afraid.

For those of you who have not play solium infernum i would highly suggest it if you enjoy crazy politics.
Mason11987

Re: solium infernum and what i have learned about my friends

Post by Mason11987 »

Could you provide some context for this? What is this game? Link maybe?
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

You can actually figure this out just by playing it once, there are so many extenuating and player-manipulable factors that go into tribute and so forth.
There's an element of chance to keep it EXCITING but it should be pretty obvious the extent to which your avatar stats, rank, market events, and so on - not to mention whatever you're able to steal from other players - affect what you've called "resource acquisition".

I love to make my starting legion as powerful as possible.
Spoiler
Show
simanick

Post by simanick »

sorry been tided up this week but here http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SI/So ... ernum.html

its a turn based strategy game based around being a lord of hell and trying to take over. its economic system unlike a lot of strategy games is not based around land controlled but rather a controllable stat take at the start of the game that can be upgraded. This lends the game to being much more about diplomatic relations and actions where territory and places of interest are more linked to victory points, which are bet in all diplomatic actions. when you add in the fact that there is now way for form long term alliances and alternative victory conditions like betting that someone else will win, or betting that the person who subjugates you will win that replaces their victory with your own, diplomatic becomes vary convoluted and leads to massive power swings based on mistakes players make and poor choices. its unique way of handling "random" events and how its always in favor of the player that "draws" them to wait for the proper moment leads along with the ability for weaker players to gang up on the winning player easily and win leads to massive bullying for objects and cold war-esque situations.

basically dew to is construction and the general length of game it inspires an extremely anarchist environment that still conforms to a set of morals that can be bent to an extent but not truly broken much like but not the same as anarchy play in minecraft with close but mean friends.
simanick

Post by simanick »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:You can actually figure this out just by playing it once, there are so many extenuating and player-manipulable factors that go into tribute and so forth.
There's an element of chance to keep it EXCITING but it should be pretty obvious the extent to which your avatar stats, rank, market events, and so on - not to mention whatever you're able to steal from other players - affect what you've called "resource acquisition".

I love to make my starting legion as powerful as possible.
yes you could easily see way im talking about after only game of play with friends but i had not thought about it much sense i have been here. i think there is much more the just starting conditions that effect the balance of the game also i generally ignore my starting legion, as i find planer lock to be all i really need to win most wars and i find timeing on knowing when to go to war much more important, in a game with my friends your legion would likely be striped bare of all times before you even could attack as stealing is much more common in a 6 player game. praetor combat is more often then not how most wars are fought amongst us as they are easier to hide.

To given an example we are currently at turn 20 and i have 4 orders, getting 5 next turn, i have 6 charisma a legion that has never moved with 20 prestige to my name and kingmaker of the player in first, likely by turn 30 1 player will be excommunicated(another player is vary pissed and likely to do this), 2 more will be in a blood feud of my making(they are at 2/2 for wars right now), and by this point i will have sold 6 in all stats and there starts my advance. now that only if everything goes as planed, which i will not bet on.