Eriotto's Japanese BTW Addon (Name Pending) [unreleased]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Eriottosan

Eriotto's Japanese BTW Addon (Name Pending) [unreleased]

Post by Eriottosan »

Hey guys!

Just a little thread to keep people in the loop.

I know a few people on this thread used my badly named mod, and I have decided that I will make a mod based on my old one which is a Better Than Wolves addon.

For people who have used my mod previously: Although the BTW addon will be rather different from what my mod was, it will inherit a lot of the blocks and items, and as such I will probably release some sort of conversion mod so that materials aren't lost &c.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to advertise mods on the MC forum as a BTW addon? I know Sargunster has a thread over there, and simply calls it a "BTW Addon" ... But do I have to put "unofficial BTW Addon", or what?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any better suggestions for a name; I suck at naming things.

I'm rather excited about this endeavour. When I first started coding, I found myself wanting to do a lot of things involving BTW items and style, but - as I was new - focused on compatibility instead. As such, I have a load of ideas to draw from for this mod.

Thanks, all!
Eriotto
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
SgtChuckle

Re: Eriotto's Japanese BTW Addon (Name Pending) [unreleased]

Post by SgtChuckle »

Cool, man! I didn't really use your mod that much before, but I think this time around I might try it.
Eriottosan wrote: Does anyone know if we are allowed to advertise mods on the MC forum as a BTW addon? I know Sargunster has a thread over there, and simply calls it a "BTW Addon" ... But do I have to put "unofficial BTW Addon", or what?
Eriotto
I know there's a "Content Packs" section in the MCF mod section where you can put addons, but I'm not sure if you have to have modder permission or what. Maybe ask Sarg?
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Better Than Bakumatsu :P

I can't wait man, I'm really looking forward to this.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

So much want! I played with Kaos' add-on for a while but I stopped a couple days ago because it isn't updated yet, but I would love to see the different blocks in your mod :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

SgtChuckle wrote:Cool, man! I didn't really use your mod that much before, but I think this time around I might try it.

I know there's a "Content Packs" section in the MCF mod section where you can put addons, but I'm not sure if you have to have modder permission or what. Maybe ask Sarg?
Cool, glad you're tempted at least :P.
Yeah, there's something about "Content Packs" which leaves me a tad unsettled. But good plan - I won't ask Sarg, but I'll look at where he has his thread over there :P.
Ribky wrote:Better Than Bakumatsu :P

I can't wait man, I'm really looking forward to this.
Haha, that made me chuckle (:. I have to say, man, that chat we had was unbelievably helpful, and my brain has been in overdrive since - got a heck of a load of ideas as a result, so thanks! :D.
Rianaru wrote:So much want! I played with Kaos' add-on for a while but I stopped a couple days ago because it isn't updated yet, but I would love to see the different blocks in your mod :)
I loved Kaos' so much that I even played it alongside mine, despite the fact it shared 2 or 3 blocks that were the same. I'm rather sad to see it go, but I respect his decision entirely. I'm glad you are looking forward to seeing what I have.

A NOTE TO ALL:
A lot of it will be based on my old mod, but not the old code - I started the mod 2 days after starting to learn any form of coding, and as a result, my old code is littered with amateurish rubbish. As such, I can't say how long it'll be - at all - for me to update, especially with all the stuff I want to do that is BTW specific.

I will probably update this thread on a regularish basis, letting you all know how it is going.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Eriottosan wrote: I'm also wondering if anyone has any better suggestions for a name; I suck at naming things.
How about Henkou as in 変更 ? I want to see how many try to call it the Henkou mod :p
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

PatrickSJ wrote:How about Henkou as in 変更 ? I want to see how many try to call it the Henkou mod :p
That made me chuckle :P.

EDIT: For people who don't understand the joke, to "Henkou suru" (where suru is do, so basically "do Henkou") is to make a change/amendment, or to modify (mod). As such, Henkou mod becomes as much a tautology as PIN Number, or to bring it closer to home BD Dispenser.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Eriottosan wrote:
Rianaru wrote:So much want! I played with Kaos' add-on for a while but I stopped a couple days ago because it isn't updated yet, but I would love to see the different blocks in your mod :)
I loved Kaos' so much that I even played it alongside mine, despite the fact it shared 2 or 3 blocks that were the same. I'm rather sad to see it go, but I respect his decision entirely. I'm glad you are looking forward to seeing what I have.
I actually posted this 2 or 3 minutes prior to his announcement so now I'm doubly glad that there's another japanese-style deco add-on that's BTW compatible. I would have probably scrapped the world and started again because most of my buildings are japanese style architecture, and I wasnt about to have that without some dedicated japanese aesthetic blocks...

A short while later:

TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Oh you can easily do japanese-style architecture with just BTW blocks.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I know, but I used the paper walls on EVERYTHING and it felt a little bit wrong to have the architecture there without at least some paper walls. I'm sure it can be done, I just wouldn't enjoy it as much and would probably choose a new architectural style.

A short while later:

Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Oh you can easily do japanese-style architecture with just BTW blocks.
Rianaru wrote:I know, but I used the paper walls on EVERYTHING and it felt a little bit wrong to have the architecture there without at least some paper walls. I'm sure it can be done, I just wouldn't enjoy it as much and would probably choose a new architectural style.

Yes, you can. But my mod isn't purely focused on the architecture, though it does include blocks such as paper walls and tatami (the mats).
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I know that there are uses to your mod other than architecture, but it is one of the uses I'm looking forward to :)

A short while later:

Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I'm looking forward to tea more than anything. I am a tea-holic in real life and I love that entire crafting process, along with the drying and soaking units.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Just a little update as to where I am.:
  • Added Japanese Souls (new name for spirits for old users), which look a like XP/Dragon Orbs. They are red. They float around one block above the ground, emitting red portal particles. They move towards Infused SoulSand. If there isn't any nearby, they move towards the closest player with empty bottles (well, *the* player, as it isn't multiplayer ready yet). If there isn't one near enough, it moves towards zombies (or my custom mobs, which aren't added yet). If there aren't any, they fly around randomly.
  • Added Bottled Japanese Soul (old users, read Bottle of Japanese Spirit). This is collected by colliding with a Japanese Soul with a glass bottle in your inventory. It has two uses so far. It can be smashed to spawn Japanese Souls, or it can be used on SoulSand to make Infused SoulSand.
  • Added Infused SoulSand (old users, Culture SoulSand). Made by using Bottled Japanese Soul on SoulSand. It will attract Japanese Soul towards it, and will absorb them (up to 128). If it comes to have 0 souls inside it (through them being used up through ... things ...), it will turn back into SoulSand. There will be uses for it in the future.
  • Added the ability for Infused SoulSand to use the mechanical system. If you mechanically power Infused SoulSand which is placed directly above an unpowered hopper with a soulsand filter that contains empty bottles, it will collect in the bottles!
To complete the Soul System, I need to add my custom mobs. Once that is done, I reckon that is the hardest part of the mod done. Why did I start with what I thought would be the most difficult part? Because it is the start of the mod ...

I may need to make some way to either (or both):
i) Stop Infused SoulSand being completely drained of souls unless wanted to (Perhaps emits a redstone signal when holds less than x number of souls?)
ii) Make the souls convert SoulSand by themselves. When I first started the spirit system in my old mod, I couldn't think of a way. However, now I know a bit more about coding, I may be able to.

So yeah. That's what there is at the minute. Sorry it's not much, but I've hardly been able to code, as most of my time is spent getting everything ready for moving 200 miles away for Uni in a few weeks :P.

Regarding names: Better Than Bakumatsu or Better Then Henkou, or something else entirely?

EDIT: For a bit of clarification: Japanese Souls are important for a number of things in the mod. Collecting them involves killing custom mobs. However, Japanese Souls "evolve" these mobs, and make them stronger/faster. As such, in a mob trap, you may end up with several of the hard ones, as they will evolve nearby custom mobs and zombies into them.
However, if you have Infused SoulSand near the death point, the souls will be drawn to it and absorbed (unless it collides with mobs on the way).
But when you destroy Infused SoulSand, you can't collect the souls ... They simply disappear. So you either have to set up a system to use them where it is (bit dangerous, as it's a mob trap), or set it up as above to bottle the souls.

Personally, I'm rather proud of that.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

You already have me designing an add-on for my mobtrap so I can automatically farm Japanese Souls...Now where can I find the time to do it when the add-on gets released...

A short while later:

Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Hehe (:. Make sure you can access the hopper safely from outside the trap (:.

Might be a while yet, but once I add the mobs and the main use of souls, I'll have learnt the code needed for everything in the mod plan so far, so I'm feeling good (:. After that, it's just a matter of time.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Wait...will this interfere with Dragon Orb filtering? Because I'm not sure there would be a way to switch between the two or somehow build separate traps for your mobs and vanilla mobs...

A short while later:

Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Not at all. They don't flow with water, they hover above it. They move towards the Infused SoulSand (as long as it is in range). I'll just get you a screenshot, hang on (:.

EDIT: Here is a picture.
Spoiler
Show
My drop and dragon orb filtration system comes out another side, 2 blocks lower, at the kill level. They don't act like Dragon/xp orbs, they just use the same texture.
Last edited by Eriottosan on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

That sounds really interesting! I'm very much looking forward to this :3
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:That sounds really interesting! I'm very much looking forward to this :3
Glad to hear it (:.

Rianaru: My demonstrative pic is up. Quickly knocked out a side of a mob trap and set it up, will probably redo it at some point, but it shows what I mean. It isn't part of the filtration system, as they move around freely.

I actually think I may try and add the tea block next, despite what I said earlier. I'm actually a bit bored of mobs and such, and I want the tea system to use souls now anyway.

For anyone who doesn't know, my tea plants are ... interesting. There are 9 unique tea leaf drops, but one tea seed. The seed can be planted anywhere, but will only grow in certain biomes. And to get top grade tea, it has very specific conditions. Even when they are all met, you are more likely to get any other tea (apart from End and Nether tea) than the top grade tea.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Ah. I see what I missed. I was stupid and misread the post about the content thinking that Japanese Souls would automatically infuse Soul Sand if it was in range. Now I realize that they are only attracted to Soul Sand that has already been infused. Sorry for the derp.

A short while later:

Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Rianaru wrote:Ah. I see what I missed. I was stupid and misread the post about the content thinking that Japanese Souls would automatically infuse Soul Sand if it was in range. Now I realize that they are only attracted to Soul Sand that has already been infused. Sorry for the derp.
Yeah. One option is to make them do that. But that wouldn't affect soulsand that is in filters, and as such, even if I made that change, it wouldn't affect the dragon orb system.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

As far as a name goes would"Better Than Souls" work?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

HaloGamefreek wrote:As far as a name goes would"Better Than Souls" work?
Not really. The Souls play a big part in getting started and keep things going. But they aren't the focus of the mod. It's just pointless me coding anything else till I the soul system is working.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Eriottosan wrote:
Rianaru wrote:Ah. I see what I missed. I was stupid and misread the post about the content thinking that Japanese Souls would automatically infuse Soul Sand if it was in range. Now I realize that they are only attracted to Soul Sand that has already been infused. Sorry for the derp.
Yeah. One option is to make them do that. But that wouldn't affect soulsand that is in filters, and as such, even if I made that change, it wouldn't affect the dragon orb system.
That was the other thing that I though I read -.-

A short while later: