Wikipedia hopping?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FurkeyRefills

Wikipedia hopping?

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Spent the last 39 minutes going from one wikipedia page to the next, fruitlessly trying to soak up the information.
I was wondering, does anyone else do this ? I've never considered it a waste of time, because I find out a lot of things :/

For reference:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
It started with Christian Bale, and some how I got to Pomeranian. :D
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
DIG_down

Re: Wikipedia hopping?

Post by DIG_down »

All I can say is, Machinist, watch it.

My favourite bale film so far.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Fun fact: Barring a few repeating cycles, if you click the first link of each page that isn't italicized and keep going, you will eventually get to philosophy
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

Wow. That actually works :P
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

BinoAl wrote:Fun fact: Barring a few repeating cycles, if you click the first link of each page that isn't italicized and keep going, you will eventually get to philosophy

Entered thread to post this, but obviously not fast enough.

This is what I consider Wikipedia hopping at any rate, hit random article and see how far you go.
Heavens

Post by Heavens »

Not as "extreme" as you hop but sometimes when something pops into my mind I want to know more about I hit wikipedia and usually klick on a few more links within that post and end up somewhere totally different by the end :D
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Try to get from "Monarch Butterfly" to "Wet T-Shirt Contest" in as few links as possible.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's not so much a waste of time as it is a wallow through often useless trivia that can cut severely into productivity. If it's a choisce between vegging for an hour in front of the television and a wikipedia ramble, dial in your modem and have at it.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Guilty as charged. Never... never link me to anything on Wikipedia. It will waste an hour+ of my time as my stupid brain gets distracted by every little bit that is interesting. God forbid I find two things interesting in one Wikipedia article... open new tab, different Wiki article in each... lathe, rinse, exponential growth.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Ribky wrote:Guilty as charged. Never... never link me to anything on Wikipedia. It will waste an hour+ of my time as my stupid brain gets distracted by every little bit that is interesting. God forbid I find two things interesting in one Wikipedia article... open new tab, different Wiki article in each... lathe, rinse, exponential growth.
That's nothing compared to me and tv tropes. I have spent as many as 5 hours on tv tropes in a single sitting.
And HOW!
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

I do the same thing, but it's not limited to Wikipedia. I think the max I've done is three hours just surfing the web, reading about Futhark, Norse and Greek gods, and other assorted distractions that I found interesting. It's ridiculous, and ridiculously fun too.

If I had a problem, it's that I enjoy learning things more than using my current knowledge.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.