Vanilla Minecraft Annoyances

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
STrRedWolf

Vanilla Minecraft Annoyances

Post by STrRedWolf »

I'm taking one for the forum here. All the annoyances of vanilla MC, pour them here.

Here's mine: With wood logs that can lay sideways in 1.3.2 (was supposedly a 1.4 thing) Jeb and Dinnerbone forgot one thing. You know half slabs, of course, which are mainly decoration. Where are the half logs?!? <nutty-professor>With the grains and the wood and the bark and the oh dear...</nutty-professor>

Sorry, I had to get it out. I'll get my hat...
dawnraider

Re: Vanilla Minecraft Annoyances

Post by dawnraider »

The idiot decision to make mobs not wander if they were too far away, but having them still hide from the sun. They said it was for performance, but it takes way more performance to make them travel to a certain location then to aimlessly move. Trading. Nuff said there. Temple and village loot, which give early access to items, making the player not have to work for them, which is a lot more fun.

EDIT: And xp from mining and smelting. I just went from level 2 to level 9 with killing maybe two mobs. Holy crap!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Mojangs propensity to take suggestions from 10-yr-olds.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

How bloody boring vanilla Nether is.
And HOW!
Panda

Post by Panda »

...Playing 1.3 feels like all the solid entity mechanics of minecraft thus far are broken and flimsy...
Never say no to Panda.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

3 things:
1. Uses for Gold are too limited
2. The End is completely pointless after killing the boss,(other than a xp farm)
3. The fact that Mojang put cheats IN the game. What happened to the fun of playing Legit. I know they were for the servers, but if your playing SSP the cheats sholdn't be availible to use. ONly when the server is online.
Six

Post by Six »

I love active development and all, but I really hate just mindless addition of THINGS. A lot of a time there seems to be no overarching thought given to stuff they add. It's just like they were bored and decided to see if they could code something, then add it no matter the result.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I hate minecraft water, it behaves like a field and not an actual fluid.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I hate Mojang's slowness of development, taking a year to do what FC accomplishes in a night... but then he is our Eldritch Lord for a reason :p
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Probably the most annoying thing to me is how they tend to implement something, and then seem to never revisit it or add to it, leaving lots of potential untapped. Maps, for example. They are a cool idea with lots of potential, but as they are now just tend to be a pain to work with since they haven't been revisited since 1.6 when they were introduced. There is even working code for maps with different zoom levels, but no way to change it in game.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:I hate Mojang's slowness of development, taking a year to do what FC accomplishes in a night... but then he is our Eldritch Lord for a reason :p
you forgot one thing about this,
Mojang is doeing this for money and is a working enterprise they have many things more to handle because there is more than one person envolved.
FC instead is working alone and for fun he has no customers that he must please, no taxes that he must declare and nothing of this.
He can put the time that he want in his project without giving a F**k about other things tthat are enterprise must do.

And don't forget without Mojang there is no BTW
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Actually, I think part of the problem is that they aren't doing this for money. Hear me out.

So I bought the game once, a year ago during the beta. I'm sure most of you did too. And part of that promise was that we'd get the complete game when it was ready. That's excellent. I like that. And as we got closer and closer to completion, more and more people bought minecraft. That's great.The problem is now that Minecraft probably already has the vast majority of players it's going to have. Almost everyone who is into this kind of game has already bought the game. So where's the incentive to keep working on it? To keep throwing money at it, when as a cash cow it's probably pretty dry? Remember that properly fleshing out these features takes time, and since they aren't hobby-ists that time costs money. The only incentives I can see are the following:

1: Pleasing your fan base. Obviously minecraft made mojang, and they're grateful to their fans and want to keep rewarding them. So you get presents. Serious, Mojang is mostly continuing to work on minecraft out of the goodness of their hearts because they love you and want you to be happy. Or put another way, they're getting paid in praise and warm fuzzies.

2: To expand the game beyond it's current core gameplay in ways that might attract new customers. Remember, they only make money on beginning players, they have no way to monetize their existing player base.

Reason 1 is why we get so much populism, and reason 2 is why we get so much crap that keeps dragging the game away from it's roots. Reason 1 is also why stuff rarely gets revisited: bugfixes rarely get more praise than new content.

If you are wondering why people behave a certain way, always look at the incentive structure. And if you want people to act different, change the incentives. Not that I want minecraft to be subscription or anything, but imagine how different their priorities would be if bored players leaving meant losing a revenue stream.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

As far as money goes, I hazard that Mojang will eventually get to the point that they are going to begin releasing expansions and charging for those. Perhaps even go the way of XBL and just begin to charge for the server time. People are hooked, so what if they lose half the fan base, the other half will pay them money that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. I think it's the second more then the third, with the great push to combine ssp and smp together and do away with ssp altogether. I know that's a speculation, but think about it and you might agree...
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dude...the game is still selling to the point where the count goes up by a million every couple of months.

Sales definitely have *not* dried up.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

They're getting extra advertising from the word of mouth of the current millions of players and from fairly frequent references in popular culture now too. My opinion is that they'll keep growing steadily for at least another year, if only because it's the first of its kind and anything that's made after it in the same genre(not sure what exactly that genre is other than sandbox, but I've seen GTA referred to as sandbox too, which I don't agree with at all) will be labelled a minecraft clone, which will again lead back to minecraft itself for all the new hipster/nerds in the future who want the 'original experience'. Vicious cycles and all that lovely stuff.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DocHussey wrote:As far as money goes, I hazard that Mojang will eventually get to the point that they are going to begin releasing expansions and charging for those. Perhaps even go the way of XBL and just begin to charge for the server time. People are hooked, so what if they lose half the fan base, the other half will pay them money that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. I think it's the second more then the third, with the great push to combine ssp and smp together and do away with ssp altogether. I know that's a speculation, but think about it and you might agree...
If they did release expansions, I'd get 'em for free. Alpha account ftw :)
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Up top, brotha.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

BinoAl wrote:If they did release expansions, I'd get 'em for free. Alpha account ftw :)
I'm right with you. I wonder if Mojang actually kept track of WHEN a customer bought the game, or if they don't really have a way of differentiating if a person bought during alpha, beta, or post-release.
william711

Post by william711 »

dont forget that mojang doesnt get money just from the sale of their game. merchandizing is probably a significant part of their profit as well
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

darahalian wrote:Probably the most annoying thing to me is how they tend to implement something, and then seem to never revisit it or add to it, leaving lots of potential untapped. Maps, for example. They are a cool idea with lots of potential, but as they are now just tend to be a pain to work with since they haven't been revisited since 1.6 when they were introduced. There is even working code for maps with different zoom levels, but no way to change it in game.
ThisthisthisTHIS.

Also, I need more collectible things, stuff like Records and the Enderdragon egg.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Splee999 wrote:
BinoAl wrote:If they did release expansions, I'd get 'em for free. Alpha account ftw :)
I'm right with you. I wonder if Mojang actually kept track of WHEN a customer bought the game, or if they don't really have a way of differentiating if a person bought during alpha, beta, or post-release.
Another alpha account here, bought the game a few hours before it went beta.
And reading this I guess that they have a way of differentiating it.

But back on topic. The biggest annoyances in vanilla Minecraft is the lack of purpose in building stuff

With BTW I build a breeding facility, a soulforged steel factory, a reed farm... With vanilla minecraft I build empty buildings.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

How laggy is the multiplayer/1.3x version, well the entities in general. Oh and the whole list of good, but poorly implemented features, starting off minecarts, going to enderdragon, the end itself.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

If you hit a Mob with an arrow it gets damage and after ~1 second the arrows gets shot to you (same behaviour like when you hit a Mob while it is reciving damage for an other reason like falling or so). Fighting hords of Mobs becomes really annoying if you get damage from ur own arrows.

Edit: this has one pro - you have nearly infinte arrows if you avoid the back comming
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

AddyBaha wrote:If you hit a Mob with an arrow it gets damage and after ~1 second the arrows gets shot to you (same behaviour like when you hit a Mob while it is reciving damage for an other reason like falling or so). Fighting hords of Mobs becomes really annoying if you get damage from ur own arrows.

Edit: this has one pro - you have nearly infinte arrows if you avoid the back comming
I agree with this one. It's like it reflects back. You gotta stand WAY back and snipe.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

I think this is sooooo stupid. I took out like 20 pigment and lost one arrow. I hope mojang or flowerchild fixes this.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.