Planetary Annihilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Flesh_Engine

Planetary Annihilation

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Uber Entertainment ((Super) Monday Night Combat) are doing an RTS in Total Annihilation style with colonisable planets that can be used as bombs thrown in.

Kick the PA

Also, will only go into production if funded.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
DaveYanakov

Re: Planetary Annihilation

Post by DaveYanakov »

Holy crap! This will get played to death if it gets made.
Better is the enemy of Good
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Thanks for that. I'm a backer now. Loved supreme commander so much. Never played the sequel cause I heard it was crap.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Holy god*. That is amazing. Totally funding this.

*Holy crap + Oh my god.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

Well this looks awesome! It's just what I expected Spore to be...
Really disapointing and dumbed down game u.u
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Talarga08 wrote:Well this looks awesome! It's just what I expected Spore to be...
Man... Why must people continually bring up spore? It only brings the pain back...
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

Sarudak wrote:Man... Why must people continually bring up spore? It only brings the pain back...
Sorry... just.... imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light :)
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Talarga08 wrote:Well this looks awesome! It's just what I expected Spore to be...
My god...this alone makes me want to drop a hundred dollar bill on it...if I could afford that TT.TT
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That guy Steve totally looks like an older version of Nathan Stark from Eureka...

And yeah, looks awesome.. Too bad I'm very poor right now, or I'd donate.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Mention of Total Annihilation makes me happy and brings back lovely memories. (We had that game modded with almost no unit limit... oh good times... good times.)

Mention of Spore makes me sad and reflective... (Fun, but so disappointing compared to what it should have been.)

This game... looks awesome.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
warmist

Post by warmist »

Ribky wrote:Mention of Total Annihilation makes me happy and brings back lovely memories. (We had that game modded with almost no unit limit... oh good times... good times.)

Mention of Spore makes me sad and reflective... (Fun, but so disappointing compared to what it should have been.)

This game... looks awesome.
I remember waiting for spore, hoping that they will make "the game". And being disappointed when it's released. I really really hope that Planetary Annihilation will at least make 80% of what's shown in the movie, of course i donated, but not enough to get access to betas. So now if it goes through kickstarter (almost 100% sure) there will be a year of waiting... Damn i really want to smash asteroids into planets.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

To me, this looks to be what Spore's space stage should have been, rather than the creature stage redone with spaceships instead of animals. Weaponizing celestial bodies looks like it could be fun, too.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Katalliaan wrote:To me, this looks to be what Spore's space stage should have been, rather than the creature stage redone with spaceships instead of animals. Weaponizing celestial bodies looks like it could be fun, too.
This. And should we get a thread going for ways to improve Spore? Kinda getting off-topic from the OP here.
On a related note, I'm working on a 'simple' game of how I think Spore should have been designed. I'm mostly at the design stage right now with about 400 hours of coding done(mostly architecture, unit pathing, resource management and such, so there's not really anything playable at the moment) but it would be interesting to discuss ideas for it with some other people who were dissatisfied with Spore.
DISLAIMER: not advertising a future release or anything. It's just a hobby and I don't plan to sell the game in any way. The only way others would get a hold of it is if I give them it for free (if it's ever finished) so please don't ban me for advertising :(

A short while later:

Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I would say yes to a own off-topic thread for spore improvements.

On topic: It got a third of its goal in two days. This game will be made, and I´m looking forward to it.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Just an update on a couple things that they've announced since this was last on the first off-topic page:

-Offline/LAN support
-No DRM
-64-bit support

-Linux support
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

64 bit support is pretty roxor for a game of this supposed magnitude :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Linux support makes it for me: I make a point of supporting games that run native in linux. Anything to avoid having to switch to the windows partition.

Yeah, I'm donating as soon as I get my replacement card in the mail.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Wow that looks amazing, if I had a job, I'd contribute without giving it a second thought.

Kinda worried that it might not live up to expectations, but being through KS its got a much better chance than most new games, no publisher looming over everything, only people they've gotta be accountable to are the people who wanted the game to be as they described it in the first place.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

ignika42 wrote:Wow that looks amazing, if I had a job, I'd contribute without giving it a second thought.

Kinda worried that it might not live up to expectations, but being through KS its got a much better chance than most new games, no publisher looming over everything, only people they've gotta be accountable to are the people who wanted the game to be as they described it in the first place.
This is utterly and absolutely unrelated to the topic at hand. But your avatar is The Master. I like you.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

So I didn't catch whether or not this was the case on the kickstarter site, but what's the expanse of space we get to blow up? Are we talking solar system, star system, or nebula here?

Also, magnetic propulsion of stars as a kinetic weapon? :D

A short while later:

Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

The Kickstarter page doesn't actually say how big the playing field will be, but it seems like it could range from a single planet for a 1v1 ("Play a quick skirmish with a friend on a single planet map with a low unit cap") to multiple solar systems ("Expand your empire to harness the resources of entire solar systems"), depending on the amount of people playing - it also mentions "12+ hour game with 40 of your closest frenemies and thousands of units".
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I'm definitely liking that last one :D

A short while later:

danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Great news! The Planetary Annihilation kickstarter has reached it $900k goal, so this game is getting made! They have also reached $1.1M, which was their first stretch goal, namely adding planets that are mostly water, and naval and underwater units to go with them, including subs and floating buildings. The next stretch goal is $1.3M, to add gas giants, which would have no land to build on, with orbital units like giant He3 reactors and orbital lasers to go with them, and $1.5M, to add lava planets, which are very energy rich, but also very volatile, and metal planets, which would be Death Star-like remnants of past wars which could be reactivated with a huge investment of resources or mined for huge amounts of metal. The last two stretch goals remain to be seen at the moment. I am very excited to see this game.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

I just hope the 1.5 million milestone will be something else than "release it bug-free"
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

It is: they will add lava planets, which give lots of energy (think liquid metal mines), but are quite volatile, and metal planets which are basically burnt-out Death Stars, which can be reactivated for a huge amount of resources, or mined for metal.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.