Undefusable trap/mechanism trigger?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The Phoenixian

Undefusable trap/mechanism trigger?

Post by The Phoenixian »

Given that the SMP update is getting to the point of coming Sooner rather than Later. I have decided to see if I can create a trigger that cannot be defused by any amount of luck, foreknowledge, or skill, for the use of Mapmakers and Anarchists.

The core of the device is simply a two by two by two cubic tile consisting of two redstone, two buddy blocks, two solid blocks, and two of any other block.

Note that so long as the redstone is placed last, the trigger will not activate while under construction, which allows it to be used as a detonator for TNT.
Spoiler
Show
In this state, the trigger can still be defused by attacking the Buddy blocks first. The solution to this is simply to tessellate it so that any Buddy block is touching another buddy block, like so:
Spoiler
Show
[The Piston in this image only exists as an example of a two wide/long/tall block that can be used to touch both both a Buddy block and an adjacent redstone space at the same time.]

From this point forwards we get into move and countermove but as my current toolset of defenses is composed entirely of "Add more tiles!" I'd like to open it up to everyone else to see how it can be broken and unbroken.

Regardless of that however, I hope you all look forwards to the possibility's afforded by this device as much as I do. Enjoy.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
HavokSCOUT

Re: Undefusable trap/mechanism trigger?

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Perhaps a Block Dispenser sucking in 2 Buddy Blocks at the same time?

EDIT: Can't you just break the redstone?
Last edited by HavokSCOUT on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Perhaps a Block Dispenser sucking in 2 Buddy Blocks at the same time?
Placing the BDs would set it off. You could however suck up both the TNT simultaneously...
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I just thought of 4 pistons simultaneously pushing the redstone, breaking it all at once
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I'm sorry, I've got the dumb right now. I don't quite understand the point/uses of the device you are suggesting. What exactly is it, and why do you think it would be particularly useful for smp?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

CycloneSP wrote:I'm sorry, I've got the dumb right now. I don't quite understand the point/uses of the device you are suggesting. What exactly is it, and why do you think it would be particularly useful for smp?
It's a trap that would guarantee a kill. It's a little expensive in terms of redstone, though.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

HavokSCOUT wrote: EDIT: Can't you just break the redstone?
That would set off the bb directly beside it.

Edit: Sorry for DP, guys.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Joeyjoebob wrote: That would set off the bb directly beside it.
The one I tested didn't, and my piston idea worked, it's just hard to implement and easy to counter.
Also, what does DP mean?

EDIT: Lol, didn't see the redstone in the corners :D
Last edited by HavokSCOUT on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

HavokSCOUT wrote:I just thought of 4 pistons simultaneously pushing the redstone, breaking it all at once
What if we have an extended Piston blocking access to one of each pair of redstone?

Joeyjoebob wrote:
CycloneSP wrote:I'm sorry, I've got the dumb right now. I don't quite understand the point/uses of the device you are suggesting. What exactly is it, and why do you think it would be particularly useful for smp?
It's a trap that would guarantee a kill. It's a little expensive in terms of redstone, though.
Partially, It can't guarantee a kill (If that's what you want all you need is a single Bud and surprise) but it may be able to ensure that a player will have the choice of either trying to endure a trap or to avoid it entirely, even if they already know everything about it.

EDIT: ninjaed.

DP means double post I think.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Buddies do not detect redstone changes, so destroying the redstone would not do anything.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Really? I thought that only refered to redstone turning on or off, but I've never actually checked.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

dawnraider wrote:Buddies do not detect redstone changes, so destroying the redstone would not do anything.
They don't detect updates from redstone. Which does apply to placing redstone but not to removing redstone which activates them. I would guess because the update is coming from the placement of an air block.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Oh, nvm then, that makes sense. I thought it was anything with redstone. In that, case, that's ingenious! Also for adv. Maps, you can use a spawner detector linked to tnt. The player cannot get within 16 block of the trap. The only ranged weapon that can break blocks is a tnt cannon, which itself would set off the trap. It is also completely undetectable. Obviously that won't work for anarchy play, though.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Thanks for sharing this. I cannot wait to use this on some anarchy play.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Very cool design. I'll have to test some ways of defusing it later :P. I've always been a fan of this one:
Spoiler
Show
Indras

Post by Indras »

Here's sethbling's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hbnXDt7 ... ature=plcp

For a BTW version, I would cover the floor with saws pointing up, then cover the saws with wooden planks to make the floor of the trap, then when a player gets close enough to trigger the cow, power all the saws simultaneously, which will break the planks, and then the player.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Indras wrote:Here's sethbling's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hbnXDt7 ... ature=plcp

For a BTW version, I would cover the floor with saws pointing up, then cover the saws with wooden planks to make the floor of the trap, then when a player gets close enough to trigger the cow, power all the saws simultaneously, which will break the planks, and then the player.
Err... sorry to burst your bubble but that is an Undetectable trap trigger; This is an Undefusable trigger.

And I should also note that that trigger probably won't work in BTW since it uses requires that Mobs won't wander when they are too far away from the player, Which isn't the case now since FC removed that part of the code to make Mob farms more viable.
Indras

Post by Indras »

The Phoenixian wrote:And I should also note that that trigger probably won't work in BTW since it uses requires that Mobs won't wander when they are too far away from the player, Which isn't the case now since FC removed that part of the code to make Mob farms more viable.
I didn't know that! I knew that wolf behavior was changed, but I hadn't read about the others. Good to know.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

So let me get this straight, you are trying to concoct a method in which to activate a trap (aka trigger) and this trigger needs to be impossible for the player to diffuse once armed (without becoming a victim of said trap) right? And you are attempting to accomplish this by using buddy blocks because of their inherent property to detect when blocks adjacent to them are broken.

Okay, I think I'm starting to get it.

Have you ever considered creating a trigger and them 'arming' it? Something like the reverse effect from a buddy block. The buddy block relies on being unarmed and by breaking the circuit activates the trap. But have you tried the reverse? By breaking the circuit, you deprive the trap of the needed redstone power to keep the trap from activating?

Heck, you could even throw in a second part that will 'deactivate' the trigger and thereby activating the trap.

I dunno, I'm not too good at trap theory as I lack much experience in that field.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
simanick

Post by simanick »

simple way to do this is with to BB facing into each other and any detection is the output simply based of the fact that they are solid.

edit: or im a moron.
Last edited by simanick on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Can't it be defused with water washing the redstone out?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Water won't work to defuse it, since that'd send a block update and trigger the buddy blocks.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Urian

Post by Urian »

The best way to defuse an explosive trap is usually to detonate it on your terms. Locate a tnt block, build a corridor to the side of it, place a block next to the tnt and a lever on it. Flip the lever and back up a bit. *booom*
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
simanick

Post by simanick »

Urian wrote:The best way to defuse an explosive trap is usually to detonate it on your terms. Locate a tnt block, build a corridor to the side of it, place a block next to the tnt and a lever on it. Flip the lever and back up a bit. *booom*
best way to fight this is to make the tnt inside the updatable trigger zone and not viable.
ZeroKnight

Post by ZeroKnight »

I like this one.
Spoiler
Show
Image Side Image Front
I don't think it needs any explaining.
The glass is there so you can see the TnT.