Automated Villager Farm Idea

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
LaserCooled

Automated Villager Farm Idea

Post by LaserCooled »

I've been trying to come up with a way to automate villager breeding/slaughter for the past few week or so. I don't know if this has been done before, but it occurred to me that one could use timers, a standard villager breeder and minecarts to potentially automate a villager farm.

The idea I had was to basically send a minecart into the breeder to pick up a villager and then send it out to a waiting area. Wait 20 minutes to ensure that the villager has matured and then send it to slaughter. Collecting the copious amounts of xp that will be dropped and the minecart. Then recycling the minecart through the system.

The only thing that might not work is picking up the villager. The rest of the system can definitely be done with current BTW technology. So, has anyone tried doing something like this or does anyone have any ideas to improve upon the system?
embirrim

Re: Automated Villager Farm Idea

Post by embirrim »

I've never really played much with minecarts so I can't say if your idea is feasible, but from what I know it should work, although the picking the villagers up would be pretty difficult.

I came up with a pretty good setup for villager breeding, however it doesn't work because of the bug with the children's hitbox being the same size as the parents'.
Basically, stack villagers in a small room with a house of doors close by so they breed like crazy. If the villager hitbox wasn't f'd up, you cuold just remove the bottom layer of blocks from that little room and the children would pour out. Get a timer and an automated killing process and you have automated XP.
But, as i said, until the villager hitbox gets fixed, this won't work.
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

I didn't realize that the hitbox thing was a bug. And I certianly didn't think that it was something that Mojang was planning to fix.

But yes, I had a similar idea to what you mention several months ago, but when I discovered that the children can't escape through a one block high hole I dropped that idea in a hurry.

I was trying to come up with something that works in the current vesion of minecraft. Mostly to automate arcane scroll collection for some looting enchantments.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I've also thought about the idea of somehow seperating villagers out, so you dont end up killing your entire breeding stock. The minecart idea seems plausible, but the question is how it can be done. Will have to experiment at some point...

*rubs hands*
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I have a people farm. It is mostly automated, and works similar to what you described. Except the villagers that are makin' babies for me are always in minecarts, stuck in an eternal railbound orgy. There is a villager limit, dependent on how many doors are around them, once the little glass fishbowl under the minecart love shack fills up and grows up, I pull a lever dropping them down into a water flow -> saws -> soylent green processing filters. That's it. Not totally automated, because of the aforementioned hitbox issue with children, but it gets the job done.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

My farm is a large 2x16 hallway with villagers. On the two sides are doors and behind them pressure plates. when night comes, villagers will enter the "houses", step on the pressure plates and unpower the pistons holding the blocks of which the floor is made, sending all other villagers to their doom. This way there are always 2 safe villagers.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

Ok that's pretty clever and sounds a lot easier to implement than the minecart thing.

EDIT: I suppose you would need to drop the villagers into a holding cell to wait for them to mature in order to get all of the xp. You could use the same signal from the pressure plates to do this. You would just need to make a second piston (or trapdoor) floor underneath the first. This should provide the exact amount of time for a child to mature.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I've never played with it, but villagers are attracted to Diamonds thanks to BTW ;)
If it only works with adults and not the babies, it could be a very cool way to farm them ;)
Kreyesh

Post by Kreyesh »

Itamarcu wrote:My farm is a large 2x16 hallway with villagers. On the two sides are doors and behind them pressure plates. when night comes, villagers will enter the "houses", step on the pressure plates and unpower the pistons holding the blocks of which the floor is made, sending all other villagers to their doom. This way there are always 2 safe villagers.

.... Holy crap thats evil.... First two in the door get to live!!!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Itamarcu wrote:My farm is a large 2x16 hallway with villagers. On the two sides are doors and behind them pressure plates. when night comes, villagers will enter the "houses", step on the pressure plates and unpower the pistons holding the blocks of which the floor is made, sending all other villagers to their doom. This way there are always 2 safe villagers.
Could we get a pic of some sort? I'd love to see how this works.
LaserCooled

Post by LaserCooled »

Battosay wrote:I've never played with it, but villagers are attracted to Diamonds thanks to BTW ;)
If it only works with adults and not the babies, it could be a very cool way to farm them ;)
This would be terrifically evil if it worked. I might play with it just to find out.

I played around with the minecart thing even though it might be more work to set up. Loading the villagers is actually quite easy. If you set up a typical villager spawner such that they are packed very tightly (I used a single cell surrounded by grates, the equivalent of a 2X2 space containing 4+ villagers) it is really easy to just send a minecart in to pick up a villager. There is actually an added benefit of having the space tightly packed; the collision between the minecart and the other villagers causes a boost to the minecart similar to a powered rail. So to set this up, you just need a minecart dispenser set on a timer to send the cart in and pick up a villager. Then it will launch the villager off to the killing area.
Last edited by LaserCooled on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Battosay wrote:I've never played with it, but villagers are attracted to Diamonds thanks to BTW ;)
Only when they're in your hand, from my experience... so no dispensing them to draw them closer :(
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.