How am I doing?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheFlame52

How am I doing?

Post by TheFlame52 »

As a user on these forums, how am I doing? I know I started off badly...
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
Itamarcu

Re: How am I doing?

Post by Itamarcu »

You are doing...fine?
You suggested something that was already in game, you have a signature with a forum member's quote, you have most of your posts on the Suggestion subforum. You're the average forum member, I guess.

Well, except for the fact you assume we remember a person who only has 25 posts and never actively contributed to the forum (e.g. images, videos). That is, in fact, a bit weird.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
M!C

Post by M!C »

Well firstly, if you have to ask this question, something probably didn't go too well.

A thread like this also makes me wonder what you want to hear/accomplish? Imo it only invites trouble since people will inevitably "attack" you. Even if it's meant to beconstructive criticism, it will lead to you defending yourself in one way or another. Final result: a ban here or there.

You're with us less than a month too, so nobody here knows you long enough to provide a sufficient answer to your question.
All I can do for example is look at your profile:

Last visited: 12 Aug 2012, 18:34
Total posts: 25
[0.03% of all posts / 1.67 posts per day]
Search user’s posts
Most active forum: BTW Suggestions & Ideas
[ 12 Posts / 48.00% of user’s posts ]
Most active topic: Here's an idea: stop posting ideas
[ 6 Posts / 24.00% of user’s posts ]

So again the general advice "Get to know the community and keep a distance from that subforum" applies.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You've been around enough that I remember your name. My best advice to you is to stay away from the suggestions forum, relax, and enjoy yourself. You'll settle in eventually. :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Take Laira's advice. One thing to add, it's not your job to bump the don't post suggestions topic. Posting in that topic is actually entirely unnecessary for anyone except FC or a turtle since there is nothing to discuss.

One thing I ask myself before posting is "does this add anything new to the conversation that isn't already obvious?" have canceled a fair amount of my own posts when I asked this before hitting submit and I'm still here so I figure it's working.
simanick

Post by simanick »

Lets put it this way iv been around for a bit over 2 months iv made a few posts and i bet no one remembers who i am. the expectation that you think someone it watching is strange but other then that you are just like a lot of people with low post and no image to go with your name.

If on the other hand you were well know with the number of posts you have its likely a bad sign as it shows you likely pissed a few people off. Relax enjoy your self and don't try to make a reputation, ether it will come or it will not, your actions and posts speak for them self.

Edit: dyslexia strikes again.
Last edited by simanick on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Na, you made your mark for me, simanick, with the thread about multi-output BD's :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Yeah, simanick. I'll not be forgetting your name. I think FC won't either. ;) Fun times.

I don't recognize you, Flame, but follow Sterling's advice and you'll do fine. Steer clear of the suggestions forum. Even some of the members who've been here the longest haven't dipped a toe into that arena. It takes a special familiarity with the mod AND with FC AND with his philosophy to know which suggestions are worth posting.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Doing better than I am at any rate. ;)
simanick

Post by simanick »

well I'm flattered :), but this is not about me and i think my point still stands.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

Money talks. Have you donated?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Awfulcopter wrote:Money talks. Have you donated?
That really has nothing to do with yourself as a forum member. Drawing attention to the fact that you have given money is pretentious. If you are capable and willing to give, fantastic. if not who cares? the donate button was only added a few months ago anyways. It has changed nothing as to how you are doing as forum member.
And HOW!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Also I'm fairly certain that if you donate and then start expecting any kind of special privileges a banhammer will soon find you. Donating doesn't buy you anything here. It's just a way that FC has given us of expressing our appreciation in more concrete terms.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I think he may have been joking, but that doesn't carry well across the internet...
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
That really has nothing to do with yourself as a forum member. Drawing attention to the fact that you have given money is pretentious. If you are capable and willing to give, fantastic. if not who cares? the donate button was only added a few months ago anyways. It has changed nothing as to how you are doing as forum member.
I vaguely recall you posting about the fact that you donated a while ago. Though I might be confusing you with one of the other thirty people who felt it necessary to mention that they donated a certain amount of money.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Sandrew wrote:
I vaguely recall you posting about the fact that you donated a while ago. Though I might be confusing you with one of the other thirty people who felt it necessary to mention that they donated a certain amount of money.
Naw not me, I haven't donated, too broke ;)
And HOW!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Me me me, what about me? Tell me about me! It's usually just me talking to myself about me but me from other people about myself is so much better.

and where's my cape!?
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Rawny wrote:Me me me, what about me? Tell me about me! It's usually just me talking to myself about me but me from other people about myself is so much better.

and where's my cape!?
I thought the exact same thing when I saw this thread... But I didn't know how to put it. Thank you...
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I deny everything.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

I think the purpose of the forums is to support the mod. Like Sarudak says, giving money is a concrete way to support BTW. After you donate you are a forum member who has done more to support FC and his efforts than you were before you donated. For you to suggest that donating doesn't equal support does a disservice.

Money (for most people anyways) represents actual effort. In the same way that producing a lets play about BTW, or updating the wiki, or moderating the forums, represents actual effort. I think anyone who is making an effort has done more than people who make none.

There are lots of ways to be a good community member. This guy was asking if he had done any of them and I pointed out the simplest option.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

You know that you can still be a horrible forum member, even if you have donated money?
You can still make bad suggestions, and you can still be banned.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

Wow, I only expected a few replies, not this many. I will take all of your advice, except to donate, as I'm not quite as old as you think. :)
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

TheFlame52 wrote:Wow, I only expected a few replies, not this many. I will take all of your advice, except to donate, as I'm not quite as old as you think. :)
12? Cause that's about what I was thinking....
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Don't forget, the higher FlowerChilds' BAC is the more sadistic features we get! So don't forget to donate!
/obviously sort of half kidding maybe
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Sarudak wrote:
TheFlame52 wrote:Wow, I only expected a few replies, not this many. I will take all of your advice, except to donate, as I'm not quite as old as you think. :)
12? Cause that's about what I was thinking....
I wasn't going to say it... Thanks for saying what we're all thinking!