Non-Turtle Ideas For Questions in FC's Interview

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Speltz

Re: Interview with flower!

Post by Speltz »

Just finished listening to it, and big thanks to Blithen, Flower, and Battosay for taking the time to do this. And no worries about the rambling; it really sunk in just how much care and deliberation Flower puts into every decision he makes with the mod.
For anyone who's a bit hesitant to take the hour and a half to listen to it, I'd recommend it. Experts can make any subject interesting, even something as foreign as the politics of mod APIs might be to the casual player.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

"I don't know that fancy internet stuff" - FlowerChild

The interview was a great idea it seems. Shame battosay's audio was a bit quiet, which is my only real complaint - impressive for an audio file which is as long as your average film :3

I'd definately be up for listening to the next one, if it happens. Now my plan is watch mayo, sleep for 2 hours, make phone calls regarding money, relax with a nice e-book, then sleep. or play 2.90.

2.90 will take precedence.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Yup I listened to it all and I hope more people do. I must say I really love how much you care about the community flower, and a lot of people don't understand that, and I think this interview will reduce (hopefully) a lot of the stupidity that you deal with and enlightens people.

P.S. Can't wait to see what your idea from CiV is, (I think I have a good idea)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

downloaded listened, was shocked about how much flower truly cares about the mod and the community. I hope to hear more of this in the future, especially more on Flowers opinion on the Forge as it develops
mht03110

Post by mht03110 »

walker_boh_65 wrote:downloaded listened, was shocked about how much flower truly cares about the mod and the community. I hope to hear more of this in the future, especially more on Flowers opinion on the Forge as it develops
i have to aggre with you man. i find it hard to belive that all other modders put this much thought into there work without even asking for donations. flowerchild has earned my all time repect for all the work he does just for fun that also benifits so many people out here.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Good stuff! I just started listening so I'll be back with more thoughts later :)

It might be a good idea to make an abridged version as well to make it more accessible to people just discovering the mod, a 1h37min interview is great for those of us already interested in BTW but I guess someone just starting to check it out might also want a shorter version to start them off :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
blithen

Post by blithen »

Urian wrote:Good stuff! I just started listening so I'll be back with more thoughts later :)

It might be a good idea to make an abridged version as well to make it more accessible to people just discovering the mod, a 1h37min interview is great for those of us already interested in BTW but I guess someone just starting to check it out might also want a shorter version to start them off :p
Yeah I think Battosay is doing that, he's making it into video form too.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
James_Past

Post by James_Past »

I'm kinda new to the BTW community and I've always found flower to be somewhat intimidating, like some kind of entity that would smite you just for 'shits and giggles' and I found that the interview actually brought a picture of who was actually behind this into your head so when you read his posts your brain isn't left to imagine whatever it feels like. That probably didn't make any sense, but what i'm trying to say is that the interview brought to us not only knowledge but also allowed us to, in a way get to know him.

As for the interview itself, 2 things stood out the most: New update!/New age coming (2.9/3.0 respectively) and how people were making profit from game mod distribution, Which not only is unethical, I thought was also illegal. The thought of that concept seems kind of strange seeing, like flower said 30-50 bucks to an adult isn't a whole lot, and that much does have more value in the eyes of most teenagers, but the fact that any actual job pays easily double that if not more. So the only kind of person I can think of who would be doing this for motives other than exploiting an opportunity to aquire more of something they already have access to, would be a smart kid under 14 (or whatever the age limit is by you).

Also I found out Flower is canadian (or a UPer).

Sorry if my post makes complete and utter nonsense for x,y,and zed reasons, I'm Tired and will be busy for a few days and I wanted to put my 2 cents in
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Thanks for taking the time to do this, guys. Really cool to hear FC's thoughts on the mod and how additions to BTW, vMC and from other mods affect the fun of the game. It aligns quite well with my thoughts on game design as well. Don't add something that makes another system obsolete, unless getting the addition requires use of the now obsolete system.

This mod is (as we ever doubted it ;) ) in good hands!

Looking forward to 2.9 - wonder what "hints" of the future age in 3.0 it will contain.

Once again - thanks for taking the time to do this!
Lots of planets have a north...!
Urian

Post by Urian »

A very interesting interview that explained the thought process behind BTW in a good way. Along with some information that is exciting at the present (e.g. about 2.9 and 3.0 releases) but might loose some of information value in the long run, there was also a lot of information that will be useful for quite some time to come for new users (as well as those who haven't heard it before :) ).

The Forge API sounds like it might be something very good. Since I don't code anything myself, I've got no idea about the tools and obstacles but from what I've understood and what insight the interview brought, a more encompassing tool that promotes sharing rather than hedging sounds awesome.

An additional note I'd like to add to the discussion about getting payed for the mod; if the users pay for something, be it in cash or in extra time needed to be spent at sites like adly, they are more justified in feeling that they're entitled to something. Given, there will always be people who feel that they're entitled to this or that but if they've paid for it in some way, then that entitlement actually gains some substance. This does of course not apply to optional payments, e.g. donations or mods that provide two download links, one direct and one via adly.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Expanding on what urian just said. If you personally don't want to make any extra income from BTW, how about an optional dl link, where any/all profits go to a charity?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
mht03110

Post by mht03110 »

Stormweaver wrote:Expanding on what urian just said. If you personally don't want to make any extra income from BTW, how about an optional dl link, where any/all profits go to a charity?
this is briliant
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

mht03110 wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Expanding on what urian just said. If you personally don't want to make any extra income from BTW, how about an optional dl link, where any/all profits go to a charity?
this is briliant

oh the irony
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

the_fodder wrote:
mht03110 wrote:
this is briliant

oh the irony
I sincerely believe/hope FC's hate for wolves is limited to the virtual ones. I would be all for donating to humanitarian or wildlife protecting organizations.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
mht03110

Post by mht03110 »

the_fodder wrote:
mht03110 wrote:
this is briliant

oh the irony
lets not push our luck haha
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

^^ true but the wolfaboos don't know that.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

HA i just caught up on these forums today... and i hate to do it (not really) but i made this post and i think it ties into the communitie's concerns of donations...

EDIT: congrats on the 100th post TheFoddler!!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I just sat at work listening to the entire interview while doing ym work of course but wow... thats all i can say...
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Thanks very much for taking the time to put this together Flowerchild, Battosay, Blithen and anyone else involved ! It was a fascinating insight into your approach to the mod and your enthusiasm for the mod is readily apparent. It was also interesting having a voice put to the discussion, it again reinforces the fact that we lose a great deal of subtle inflection when we read typed text.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

This interview was very insightful. I really enjoyed listening to it. Even though it was an hour and a half long, it wasn't boring at all. FC said he was rambling, but since all the stuff he had to say was informative, and added something new to the discussion, it didn't really seem like it was rambling at all. I listened to the interview while doing some work on my BTW basement workshop, and I more often found myself completely stopping and listening than actually playing while listening. So yeah. I think this interview was a good idea. It answers most of the frequently asked questions in one place, and it also attaches a voice to the name of Flowerchild. Many thanks to Blithen for organizing this, and here's to more interviews in the future to answer any other questions people might have, though I think this one covered all of the big ones. I had never realized the impact money had on modding before. Like I said, this interview was very insightful.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
blazeboy91

Post by blazeboy91 »

Amazing. I did expect that Flower would have a higher pitched voice. Like most programmers I know.
* Choke Choke Die*
Victim: Damn Poison cupcakes......
Bystander: Oooo a cupcake.
And the cycle continues until someone builds an immunity to it or we all die. Either way it has got to suck being the last person alive..
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

blazeboy91 wrote:Amazing. I did expect that Flower would have a higher pitched voice. Like most programmers I know.
Hehe...I'm definitely not a typical programmer.

At one place where I worked, the guys later admitted that the first day I showed up on the job, they thought I must be the new security guard...

...then they found out I was their boss/lead programmer ;)
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Awsome interview which I enjoyed very much listening to. Defineatly not how I would have pictured you, but I have to say your reasoning seems rock-solid to me. The most amusing part was Battosay though, who seemed more like an observer at best ;) (thanks to his super-silent microphone I guess).

+1 Sympathy
+1 Admiration
-1 Scarrienes

PS: The current Version thread was just unstickied it seems. Can't wait :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Haidaes wrote: PS: The current Version thread was just unstickied it seems. Can't wait :D
Lol! I was wondering if anyone would notice that ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Haidaes wrote: PS: The current Version thread was just unstickied it seems. Can't wait :D
Lol! I was wondering if anyone would notice that ;)
now to sit and refresh the page once every few minutes for the next god knows how long.

Flower, you tease you.