Gearbox transf mech power to adjacent gearbox w/o axle

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
rusky

Gearbox transf mech power to adjacent gearbox w/o axle

Post by rusky »

I've recently been building some more intricate contraptions (as I've been struggling, and to my great satisfaction, succeeding, to redesign my BTB machines to work with BTW alone).

One of the issues i've run into countless times is that time when you need to power two side by side blocks, and you end up having to create a very large, snaky gearbox/axle design just to be able to get the power to two or more adjacent blocks.

What i'm suggesting is allowing a gearbox to power other adjacent gearboxes (thus not needing an axle, just that there is a receiving gearbox next to it and that the receiving gearbox is properly faced).

It's obviously just a QoL suggestion, as these situations can indeed be remedied by simply using a much larger amount of gearboxes and axles. It's just that sometimes there's just no room :(
I also don't think that adding this would be any reduction in the function or use of axles as they would still always be preferable to a gearbox except in this very particular situation.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Gearbox transf mech power to adjacent gearbox w/o axle

Post by Sarudak »

It's been suggested before and it is very much intentionally not like this in order to make mechanical power more difficult to work with. FC likes it that we have to build our systems big and bulky.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

rusky wrote:One of the issues i've run into countless times is that time when you need to power two side by side blocks, and you end up having to create a very large, snaky gearbox/axle design just to be able to get the power to two or more adjacent blocks.
I think that's the point.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

When I first implemented mech-power, I tried things out this way with Gear Boxes directly powering each other.

It was far less fun as it largely removed the puzzle-solving aspect of using the system. Obviously, I can not fully simulate the physics of such a system in this kind of game, but if I could, it would be a lot more challenging than it currently is.

The current system replaces some of that otherwise lacking challenge with having to solve logical puzzles of a different, but related sort (3D spatial organization), making it more engaging to use overall.

So yeah, you are right in saying this change wouldn't reduce functionality. It would just reduce the fun.
rusky

Post by rusky »

Alright, can't argue with that, it can be fun figuring out optimal placing as well.
It's probably just my fault for always building half of a contraption then realising i need some extra machine in there somewhere and scrambling to figure out how to pull the mech power and redstone around without screwing everything up (I certainly please the God of unnecessarily complicated spaghetti steampunk devices).
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I'd actually like to chime in on this. The challenge of building gearbox/axle contraptions was fun and interesting at first, but it does feel more like a chore and a severe limitation at this point. While the challenge is welcome (and not too much of an impedance) earlier in the game, it does serve as an issue in the late game. I would be happy to see a way to reduce or negate the puzzle aspect of gearbox's and axles later in the tech tree
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rusky wrote:Alright, can't argue with that, it can be fun figuring out optimal placing as well.
It's probably just my fault for always building half of a contraption then realising i need some extra machine in there somewhere and scrambling to figure out how to pull the mech power and redstone around without screwing everything up (I certainly please the God of unnecessarily complicated spaghetti steampunk devices).
Well, don't forget that what you're currently doing in converting BC contraptions to BTW ones is also creating a special-case in that you're attempting to redesign existing structures around different mechanics. You're bound to run into space limitations with something like that whereas they'd be less of an issue if you were designing the structures from scratch.
BinoAl wrote:I'd actually like to chime in on this. The challenge of building gearbox/axle contraptions was fun and interesting at first, but it does feel more like a chore and a severe limitation at this point. While the challenge is welcome (and not too much of an impedance) earlier in the game, it does serve as an issue in the late game. I would be happy to see a way to reduce or negate the puzzle aspect of gearbox's and axles later in the tech tree
I simply don't agree man. For example, I've been expanding my "XP shower" as of late, and that's turning into a total nightmare of intertwining Axles and Gear Boxes, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. If I could just run power directly to each neighboring Hopper, it would be dull as dirt.

There's no limitation here on what you can do that can't be overcome with more space. Early mechanical systems were big, bulky, clunky, and often improvised contraptions, and the system reflects that.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: I simply don't agree man. For example, I've been expanding my "XP shower" as of late, and that's turning into a total nightmare of intertwining Axles and Gear Boxes, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. If I could just run power directly to each neighboring Hopper, it would be dull as dirt.

There's no limitation here on what you can do that can't be overcome with more space. Early mechanical systems were big, bulky, clunky, and often improvised contraptions, and the system reflects that.
I guess it's mostly a matter of personal preference. I've got a system to it now, and I've turned it from a logic puzzle to mindless placing of gearbox's and axles. I mostly ruined it for myself :p
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm wondering if, when block ID's are no longer an issue, the ability to somehow colour code mech power lines would be a good idea. Might help with overly complicated designs.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I'm wondering if, when block ID's are no longer an issue, the ability to somehow colour code mech power lines would be a good idea. Might help with overly complicated designs.
Just for clarity, or for an actual gameplay effect?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well for clarity, what gameplay effect would make sense with colour coding?

E.g. A green axle going in a gearbox only powering green axles connected to it? That sounds a bit silly tbh.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's really not necessary IMO. There's nothing particularly hard about dealing with mech power.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Well for clarity, what gameplay effect would make sense with colour coding?

E.g. A green axle going in a gearbox only powering green axles connected to it? That sounds a bit silly tbh.
That's what I figured, I just thought there may have been something I hadn't thought about :p
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I also have to say that I enjoy the challenge of having to use lots of space and effort to set up mech power setups. I recently upgraded my sorting system to better handle the amount of items from my mobtrap, and it was total hell to have to lead lines of axles around in huge loops to get around other gearboxes and axles. It would have taken me 3 minutes to set up the power system otherwise if we could directly power with gearboxes and considering the point of the mod is really the gameplay, why is less game-time a good thing?
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Necro and lock.