Ultra compact flip flop with BD

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battosay

Ultra compact flip flop with BD

Post by Battosay »

While making Episode 3 of BTW 101, I realized I totaly forgot to share what I found a few weeks ago about the most compact flip flop possible using a BD :
(Don't pay attention to the background, just the moss stone, the DB and the torch matters here)

All you need is a BD, with one glass block and one solid block in its inventory. Place a redstone torch right under the block that will be placed by the BD.
Connect the BD to a torch, and a button to that torch.
Press the button, the BD will switch to the next block in its inventory.
The glass block won't pass the current, the solid block will :

It can also be used as a counter (up to 9) thanks to the sequential order of the BD !

Enjoy :)
Gdnite

Re: Ultra compact flip flop with BD

Post by Gdnite »

That is brilliant, that's even more compact than piston flip-flops. Very nice find
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Aye, been doing that for a while too; see a few of my screenshots in the tree farm thread.

Outside of clocks (where the reliability of turntables is unmatched) I can't really think of many redstone applications you can't use a BD as a stupidly compact version of. I'm sure there's going to be a tiny monostable too, but haven't figured that one out just yet.

But on the subject of the flip flop in particular, what would we call it? T-Flip flops alternate the output whenever there is an input, but BDs allow for pre-programmed outputs with each trigger.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I'd go for a new one, the BD-Flip flop :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm, I was thinking B(oat) flip-flop but that makes more sense :p

Then again, been racking my brain - outside of doors, boats and minecarts, are there any other non-stackable, non-conductive blocks or entities in minecraft/BTW? I can't think of any, and boats are starting to annoy me >.>
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

The BDFF
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Just last night I managed to stumble across three new dungeons. I now have sufficient mossyCS to actually make use of BDs. I'm going to have to start practicing.

Any suggestions for good things to build with BDs to get a handle on their uses?
Glox

Post by Glox »

Battosay wrote:-snip-
Enjoy :)
Oh i will.

And for the name i propose blop flipensor.

Thanks for sharing with us =D
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Stormweaver wrote:Then again, been racking my brain - outside of doors, boats and minecarts, are there any other non-stackable, non-conductive blocks or entities in minecraft/BTW? I can't think of any, and boats are starting to annoy me >.>
Signs perhaps?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stormweaver wrote:Then again, been racking my brain - outside of doors, boats and minecarts, are there any other non-stackable, non-conductive blocks or entities in minecraft/BTW? I can't think of any, and boats are starting to annoy me >.>
Fences are stackable, but they're non conductive
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I think B Flip-Flop should do it.

Signs get 'Launched' from upward facing ones, might work with sideways ones though. Just takes up more room.

It needs something unstackable so the 'memory' inside the BD can be arranged beforehand; boats are fine, but they look weird >.>
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stormweaver wrote:It needs something unstackable so the 'memory' inside the BD can be arranged beforehand; boats are fine, but they look weird >.>
You just need to use full stacks of glass you know ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Um, why can't you just use one glass and one conductive block (as Battosay also states in the OP)?
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Battosay wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:It needs something unstackable so the 'memory' inside the BD can be arranged beforehand; boats are fine, but they look weird >.>
You just need to use full stacks of glass you know ;)
I'm not made of sand >.> good point though. Then again, the sound of glass breaking gets irritating *really* quickly on fast circuits.

@Urian: I could if I wanted a T-Flip flop. But If I wanted a 1-byte memory cell, just two contents won't do much will it ;)
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

Urian wrote:Um, why can't you just use one glass and one conductive block (as Battosay also states in the OP)?
He's talking about using it as a counter. For example, with four boats and one conductive block only every fifth pulse will generate an output pulse. But for this to work you need either non-stackable non-conductive blocks or full stacks of them as Battosay observed.

Alternatively, you could use an inverter and several stacks of conductive blocks and one non-conductive one. (Possible use for all those stacks of cobblestone and dirt...)

And nice idea Stormweaver, I'm currently using the setup while testing my automatic mining machine in my legit world.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Harcion wrote:
Urian wrote:Um, why can't you just use one glass and one conductive block (as Battosay also states in the OP)?
He's talking about using it as a counter. For example, with four boats and one conductive block only every fifth pulse will generate an output pulse. But for this to work you need either non-stackable non-conductive blocks or full stacks of them as Battosay observed.

Alternatively, you could use an inverter and several stacks of conductive blocks and one non-conductive one. (Possible use for all those stacks of cobblestone and dirt...)

And nice idea Stormweaver, I'm currently using the setup while testing my automatic mining machine in my legit world.
The inverter's a fine idea, but you'd have to invert the input as well, and that pretty much doubles the size of the setup - it's an option where the circuitry allows for it though.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Ah, right. I'm a bit off today, having some insomnia so I'm a bit tired :)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Perhaps paintings? Dunno how BDs handle them though, just a thought.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fracture wrote:Perhaps paintings? Dunno how BDs handle them though, just a thought.
Stackable :( All I can hope for is that Fc implements a new unstackable transparent block in a manner completely unconnected to this thread. Till then...I've switched things up a little and have alternating minecarts and boats...*sigh*

I wish I actually knew anything about circuitry beyond the rough functions of logic gates...I've got one-byte memory cells at my fingertips and the only thing I can come up with is a counter :( but whatever, I'm wasting time checking things when I should be searching for wolves...
Urian

Post by Urian »

Why alternate boats and minecarts and not just have either all minecarts or all boats?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Urian wrote:Why alternate boats and minecarts and not just have either all minecarts or all boats?
It helps me keep track of things when I'm debugging - counting boat boat boat boat boat boat boat blockboat boat boat boat boat boat boat blockboat boat boat boat boat boat boat blockboat boat boat boat boat boat boat blockblockboat...and so on to make sure everything working in time gets...I'll call it irritating.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

How fast of a pulse can the BDFF handle?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

diegokilla wrote:How fast of a pulse can the BDFF handle?
Don't quote me on this, but I *think* the shortest pulse it'll always recognise is 0.3 seconds. At the very least it's a safe bet.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Stormweaver wrote:
Fracture wrote:Perhaps paintings? Dunno how BDs handle them though, just a thought.
Stackable :(
Derp. Forgot that bit. xD
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I know that this worked in my tree farm design, but if you put a repeater before the BD, it can handle(maybe shorter) pulses of energy, and I have seen this method work with items falling through a DB's path. Ingenious about the circuit though. The smallest one I use has a 7x3 footprint.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!