Who here makes their own mods?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SirSnapback

Who here makes their own mods?

Post by SirSnapback »

I was just curious on how many people here code their self. :)
I do, although i am a newb. :P
FlowerChild do i have permission to use this as my signature? Just wondering. (look below)

HavokSCOUT

Re: Who here makes their own mods?

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Which OS do you use? I'd love to make my own mods but I am inexperienced with coding in any language and my computer does wierd stuff when I try to download the JDK :(
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Learning some C++ has been my little project for the past couple months but I'm interested in learning more about Minecraft and mods. There's a lot of really great tutorials and tutorial documentation out there that posters linked in the thread on MCForums such as;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/264 ... -beginner/

I followed that and had no problems :)

Edit: I forgot the name of the regular who linked the above resource - super sorry, I added it to my favourites without thinking!
SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Which OS do you use? I'd love to make my own mods but I am inexperienced with coding in any language and my computer does wierd stuff when I try to download the JDK :(

?Hahah funny story, i run on windows 7, see my computer did funny stuff too until i restored my PC to factorysettings, that cured all of my problems :)
FlowerChild do i have permission to use this as my signature? Just wondering. (look below)

SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

Kitty wrote:Learning some C++ has been my little project for the past couple months but I'm interested in learning more about Minecraft and mods. There's a lot of really great tutorials and tutorial documentation out there that posters linked in the thread on MCForums such as;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/264 ... -beginner/

I followed that and had no problems :)

Edit: I forgot the name of the regular who linked the above resource - super sorry, I added it to my favourites without thinking!

Yeah i started java about 3 days ago, it took me about 30 minutes to make my first block and now my whole house is built out of that block (; I just need to figure out HOW to add the texture override code to my mods code. but i need a lot of help with that i just dont get how to do it :/

RegularX

Post by RegularX »

I'm considering it. I used to mod the Unreal engine a lot, Minecraft is the first game in a while to make me consider getting back into it. Was waiting for MCP to be on 1.7, now I just need some free time.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

My advice would be to (safely!) dig around - is there a block that already exists that does what you'd like? If so have a look at the code, find out what commands do what. That's pretty much my philosophy for stuff - learn by doing but not messing anything up. If I can help specifically then I will do and hopefully you'll post some updates on your progress!
SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

Kitty wrote:My advice would be to (safely!) dig around - is there a block that already exists that does what you'd like? If so have a look at the code, find out what commands do what. That's pretty much my philosophy for stuff - learn by doing but not messing anything up. If I can help specifically then I will do and hopefully you'll post some updates on your progress!

Thats what i did i looked around in the chest code and found a texture overide i think but i just dont nknow how to implement into my code. I know i can do it, i just need to understand whats going on to code it out, or someone coiuld code it for me and ill copy and past. (; lmao :P

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

By texture override do you mean the command that pulls up the inventory thing as a window? If so then I know the screens (e.g. Crafting, Chest, Dispenser) all have separate pngs in the gui folder of texture packs - not sure if that helps? You probably have to write in your mod where to get the png file from or something?

You can write it I'm sure, just look at it and if in doubt an educated google search usually helps me?
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Experienced with coding in Java, but no experience in mod-making beyond the old xml editing haha. I want to learn, but for some reason none of my editors will allow me to open up minecraft's code. Thinking of getting MCP and seeing how it works, though.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

Kitty wrote:By texture override do you mean the command that pulls up the inventory thing as a window? If so then I know the screens (e.g. Crafting, Chest, Dispenser) all have separate pngs in the gui folder of texture packs - not sure if that helps? You probably have to write in your mod where to get the png file from or something?

You can write it I'm sure, just look at it and if in doubt an educated google search usually helps me?
texture override as in it makes each side of your block have a different look. Its kinda hard to explain. :/

SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

Its basically this http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/index.php/MCP_ ... e_Tutorial
but i cant understand what they are doing there and how i would put that into my coding.

darahalian

Post by darahalian »

This thread was very useful to me when I started learning how to mod. It should help you with basic ModLoader stuff, like adding texture overrides and other stuff.

Also, like Kitty said, looking at existing code can be very useful, especially for learning basic Java syntax if you don't know it very well yet. For a good (simple) example of existing code for a block with different textures, you can look at BlockSandStone.java. I use MCP, and so I don't know if you can look at existing code very easily without decompiling minecraft.jar with MCP.

Both of these things were very useful to me when I made my first mod. It's a very simple mod, but I have a thread for it here on the Minecraft forums if you want to try it out. It is currently still for 1.6.6, but now that MCP has been updated, I will probably try to update it soon.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

SirSnapback wrote: texture override as in it makes each side of your block have a different look. Its kinda hard to explain. :/
Ah I was going to link that! From reading the article it looks like there are previous tutorial articles - have you skipped ahead some? Maybe go back and go through them? As FC said - start small :)

They are here http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/index.php/Cate ... Mod_System

Okay I was reading through the tutorials (with my very limited knowledge, sorry) and this tutorial: http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/index.php/MCP_ ... om_Texture has information on accessing the png file.
According to the tutorial you set up your mods files:
The first thing we want to do is set up our mods folder, mod_tut3 for tutorial purposes, and make all the files we are going to need for that. So go ahead and make that folder. Now make mod_tut3.java, ItemTut3.java, A lang folder with a en_US.lang in it. A gfx folder with a PNG (mcp.png).

Then in the mod_tut3.java file you have various overrides but this caught my eye:

@Override
public void onRegisterBlocksAndItems()
{
int tut3Icon = api().registerItemIcon(imageName(getClass(), "gfx/mcp.png"), 1);//This gives us a custom texture for the item. the "1" tells the Mod System to grab the second 16x16 pixel square(going from left to right) in the .png.

this.tut3 = new ItemTut3(api(), tut3Icon);

Does that all make sense? I'll try and find out more.
SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

Kitty wrote:
SirSnapback wrote: texture override as in it makes each side of your block have a different look. Its kinda hard to explain. :/
Ah I was going to link that! From reading the article it looks like there are previous tutorial articles - have you skipped ahead some? Maybe go back and go through them? As FC said - start small :)

They are here http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/index.php/Cate ... Mod_System

Okay I was reading through the tutorials (with my very limited knowledge, sorry) and this tutorial: http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/index.php/MCP_ ... om_Texture has information on accessing the png file.
According to the tutorial you set up your mods files:
The first thing we want to do is set up our mods folder, mod_tut3 for tutorial purposes, and make all the files we are going to need for that. So go ahead and make that folder. Now make mod_tut3.java, ItemTut3.java, A lang folder with a en_US.lang in it. A gfx folder with a PNG (mcp.png).

Then in the mod_tut3.java file you have various overrides but this caught my eye:

@Override
public void onRegisterBlocksAndItems()
{
int tut3Icon = api().registerItemIcon(imageName(getClass(), "gfx/mcp.png"), 1);//This gives us a custom texture for the item. the "1" tells the Mod System to grab the second 16x16 pixel square(going from left to right) in the .png.

this.tut3 = new ItemTut3(api(), tut3Icon);

Does that all make sense? I'll try and find out more.
Yeah that makes a lot more sence the way you shortened it xD Thanks! :)
I dont fully understand it but its getting clearer slowly. :D

redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

I haven't actually done any coding, but I have been considering trying my hand at some things. I have limited programming experience, provided by several programming courses I took in high school. (Two years of object-oriented C++, followed by a year of simple Java.) But this was some time ago, and I haven't really done anything with that particular skill set. (Unless you count the abomination that is VB scripting in Access.)

I may, however, give it a shot with some of the tutorials out there.

Off-topic: @OP, may I borrow your signature banner? :)

Further off-topic: I see FC figured out how to globally disable graphical smilies. :P
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

redrew89 wrote:I haven't actually done any coding, but I have been considering trying my hand at some things. I have limited programming experience, provided by several programming courses I took in high school. (Two years of object-oriented C++, followed by a year of simple Java.) But this was some time ago, and I haven't really done anything with that particular skill set. (Unless you count the abomination that is VB scripting in Access.)

I may, however, give it a shot with some of the tutorials out there.

Off-topic: @OP, may I borrow your signature banner? :)

Further off-topic: I see FC figured out how to globally disable graphical smilies. :P
Why im flattered you want to use the banner i made. :3
Go for it! Just can you put "made by SirSnapback" below it? Its a little thing but it makes me feel good :3 I offered FC to make it the official one but he never responded.. :/

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I do! I do! I make my own mods! :)
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote:I do! I do! I make my own mods! :)
Really? That's awesome! Can we try them? ;)
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Devalish

Post by Devalish »

I bet the Mod is rubbish, and nobody plays it.

On a more serious note, i am trying to get the hang of this
mod-thing. I just finished adding a sandstone stair, because
it's not in the game, and I'd really like to add sandstone stairs
to my sandstone house ^^
Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind; they are subjective.
I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Not for minecraft but I've made mods for a few other games, starting with Deus Ex and TES to Fallout. Admittedly, I've only modded games that's had a tool for it though ;)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
hooktail154

Post by hooktail154 »

I have my own mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/410 ... catorswip/

I started programming in AppleScript (think LISP - parentheses + smalltalk + English). It was really limited so moved on to obj-c/cocoa. Then, one day, I decided mod minecraft. I picked up Java in ten minutes (it's just c/++) and had my first block in another five.

After that, I made the furnace GUI say "frunace". Gotta start somewhere.

I started mucking around in the GuiIngame class and decided to create my mod. There's currently a huge update in the works, and all the graphics will be getting an update. (1.7.2 also). I've already used it to build and debug my elevator on my main (non-debug) world.

Also: Aspiring modders, read the entire MCP wiki. It works wonders. And use Eclipse.

Side-note: Using a different/unfamiliar IDE is almost like wearing someone else's underwear. It just feels odd. I will never disrespect you again, Xcode.

EDIT: I peeked at the BTW's code to see what was going on (and to figure out custom block renderers [no code copied, dun worry]). Flower, you write beautiful code. I aspire to be able to organize and implement things the way you do some day. Thank you again for this (now doubly) amazing mod.
SirSnapback

Post by SirSnapback »

Lmao i still cant get my texture override working. :l
I need help with it, any coders wanna help? xD

Creepig

Post by Creepig »

darahalian wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I do! I do! I make my own mods! :)
Really? That's awesome! Can we try them? ;)
I laughed so hard that my cat looked at me funny.

I have yet to make a mod of my own. Being a professional programmer sorta burns me out when I come home; often times, the last thing I want to do is look at code. However, after a discussion in the #mcp-modding channel, I think I'm going to be making a mod in homage to my username.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I've done a bit of modding, but the only language im at all decent is is visual basic, which is really only good for learning non-object oriented programming :p I'm enrolled in college for a major in computer science with a focus on game design, but i start in the fall, and my first term is all basic shit, like teaching us how to use the internet. lul.