New Release! (BTW V3.90)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.90)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.90 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Nether Growth Spores as a new item. Hint: They are created in a manner similar to Bloodwood Saplings, involving the various form of fungus in the MC world, with a pinch of Dung.

-Added what must be my best feature of all time: I disabled the end-text. Not only does this save you the annoyance of having to skip it every time you leave the end, if you've never completed the game it saves you the temptation of sitting through something really lame and from the inevitable soul-crushing disappointment that is bound to result (trust me...you'll be much happier just respawning at home and pretending it never happened). For the masochistic however, I've included an option in the config file to re-enable it so that you can still enjoy the sweet sweet suffering. Who's your daddy?

-Added spawn-restrictions to slimes so that they can only spawn on dirt, and smoothstone. This provides the player the ability to limit the spawning of slimes within their bases, as they can get really annoying otherwise. This option may be disabled in the mod's config file for people that may already have slime-farms built out of other materials.

-Added spawn restrictions to squid so that they can only spawn in significant bodies of water. This can also be disabled in the config file, but otherwise, no more squid jamming up your mob traps, or finding shallow pools of water containing stranded squid!

-Added small audio cues to when a Hopper swallows an XP or Dragon Orb, and to the Infernal Enchanter when it enchants an item.

-Changed the amount of Rotten Flesh & Bones required to render into Glue to 16 each. Feathers have also been changed to 32.

-Changed the Infernal Enchanter to consume an Arcane Scroll when an item is enchanted.

-Changed how shift-clicking in the Hopper inventory works so that items that work as filters automatically go to the filter slot.

-Changed the drop-rate of all rare drops from mobs to be about 1/4 of what it was before. They did not at all balance well with the recent changes to facilitate mob-farming and made iron in particular an entirely trivial resource to accumulate. Those wishing to automate iron production more extensively should look into iron golem farms.

-Fixed problem with snow golems dropping Dragon Orbs on death, even though they weren't supposed to.

-Fixed problem with snow golems dropping Arcane Scrolls on death, even though they weren't supposed to.

-Fixed problem with axes not being effective on wood Moulding.

-Removed the Infernal Enchanter and Arcane Scrolls from the creative inventory.

-Removed Arcane Scroll drops in creative mode.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Pseudosavior

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.90)

Post by Pseudosavior »

Amazing, man. I've been with the mod for quite some time, and the speed in which you crank out quality releases still stuns me.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

FlowerChild wrote: -Removed the Infernal Enchanter and Arcane Scrolls from the creative inventory.

-Removed Arcane Scroll drops in creative mode.
Holy fuck, now that is cool. FC, you clever bastard you, I didn't even know that was possible.

I'm going try out those Nether Growth spores now, I hope their fun. :)
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I just put a little change in the donation jar, now I'm gonna see what those spores do!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

You are fast sir. Thank you.

I always like to read these changelogs backwards because coolest additions tend to be immediately announced.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you sir
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Well there goes my week, supposed to be packing for a move.

Thank you once again for an awesome update Flowerchild. :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*squee!* Very nice, fast turn around for Phase Six :)

I'm going to /assume/ the Nether Growth Spores is the idea you were talking about, but I still love the slime spawning restriction quite a bit :) I've got ideas floating through my head for an update video already - The removal of the Arcane Scrolls and Infernal Enchanter from the creative inventory will make it more difficult, but I can manage :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Should i make a new thread for 3.90 discovery thread? lol XD

I seem to have spotted the new update less than a minute after FC put it up, and immediately decided to pause my elevator attempt and test out the new nether spores. During an attack while watching the stuff do it's thing, i stumbled upon a hilarious property of it. Pure genius!
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed how shift-clicking in the Hopper inventory works so that items that work as filters automatically go to the filter slot.
Awesome. It's just a small change, but it is very welcome... especially for when filling lots of hoppers with soulsand filters. Thanks!

And now it's time to go see what the spores do...

Nice job on the quick release!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

You know, I predicted we'd get nether fungus from the moment you asked about mushroom biome resources in the off-topic forum ages ago. Now I just wish I were able to play some minecraft, so I can see what....'fun' will be involved >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
warmist

Post by warmist »

FlowerChild wrote: <...>
-Changed the Infernal Enchanter to consume an Arcane Scroll when an item is enchanted.
<...>
Well i guess me being lucky and getting one from fighting zombies is not as useful as before (felt exploity). Thanks for a new version.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Ooh, nether fungus! I think this could be a take on my suggestion, and it sounds so much more epic!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Damn, good thing that I finally decided to build my Nether base. Now I've just gotta find out what the spores do (and how to get them).

Also, I'm pretty sure you get this a lot around here FC, but you're awesome. I mean it. This is the best mod I've ever played (and I've played quite a few), and the speed on which you deliver quality content is astounding. Keep it up.

Ceunon
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Slight texturing problem on the rope block in tonight's release. Version b with this fixed can be downloaded here (I'll be updating the link in the OP as well):

Download Link
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Psion wrote:Should i make a new thread for 3.90 discovery thread? lol XD
Nah...this release isn't quite so super-secret :)

Just please put spoilers in spoiler tags please, so that people that don't want to see them can skip.
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

Very nice update I like the slime changes as well as the flesh&bones->glue
Can't wait to try out this new fungi hehe

FC you are Cool Beans incarnate :D
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Look, man. I've donated before, but I'm outta cash. I hope that my thanks will suffice. I know that this mod takes time: time you could be spending drinking, smoking, laughing, watching a movie, having sex, or whatever. I'm super-grateful for your effort. If it wasn't for you and BTW, I would've given up Minecraft months and months ago. Thanks for putting out one of the best gaming investments I've ever made, and for free, no less. Good on you, man. Good on you.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added spawn-restrictions to slimes so that they can only spawn on dirt, and smoothstone. This provides the player the ability to limit the spawning of slimes within their bases, as they can get really annoying otherwise. This option may be disabled in the mod's config file for people that may already have slime-farms built out of other materials.
Oh.My.God. <3

I can finally use my rail lines again!
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Psion

Post by Psion »

Well, here's the discoveries i've made with this unusual organism so far:
Spoiler
Show
-First off, the fungus spreads, just like grass. It appears to only spread indefinitely on netherrack, though. You CAN plant the spores on any solid nontransparant block it seems, though. like with bloodwood saplings, planting it angers the nether's zombie pigmen.

-It slowly grows until it reaches a max size, with a red appearance.

-at this point, i discovered that digging at it when its red is a BAD IDEA. inflicts damage + poison in an area around it.

-I also made another discovery when a pigman tried to kill me and ran over the red spores. This resulted in a hilarious moment as it was bounced into the air repeatedly whenever it landed on a red spore, and it died. It dropped a gold nugget and a rotten flesh, which promptly disappeared in a slurping noise. Intrigued, i tried tossing a steak on the spores. I found out the mature spores eat meat.

-At this point i tried tossing various other items on it, and from what i can tell it seems to eat anything you can eat, and in unlimited amounts. It also seems to eat a few other items, all organic in nature: it ate mushrooms and a spider eye, but ignored my saplings and flowers.

-After seeing what it did to the pigman, i stepped on it myself, and discovered it has a taste for steves flesh as well. OW.

-At this point i tried seeing if armor stopped it. my iron armor was useless. lol.

-I then remembered how FC had added mysterious properties to soulforged armor, such as you sinking in water with it and the helmet getting a boost to diving enchantments. I used up a bunch of my steel to upgrade to some soulforged armor, starting with the feet. I discovered that plate feet put an end to the nether fungi's munchies attack on steve. I did, however, still get hurt whenever i tried to destroy the mature spores.

-Encouraged by my discovery, i tried making a plate helm next, in the hopes it would block the poisonous spores released. No can do, it still hurt me.

-I used up most of the rest of my steel making a full set of plate armor, (i could just resmelt it back down anyways if it turned out to be useless) and tried busting the spores again. to my surprise, the full set prevented me from taking any damage or poison.

-i then watched the spores grow, amusing myself by luring pigmen into the spores and watching them get eaten. I tried seeing if dragon orbs and exp orbs did anything, but they just sat on the spores. I noticed that it also very very slowly spread to non netherrack blocks, but only to a limited amount, and it seems to require a mature spore right next to it. I don't think they spread more than a few blocks past netherrack: it also doesn't seem to spread indefinitely on gravel or soulsand.

-ghast's dont seem to be eaten by the blocks either, though maybe i just haven't managed to lure one low enough onto the fungi. Other nether inhabitants, such as magma cubes, appear to be eaten though.

-I haven't seen anything spawn on the fungi either, so it might be a way of keeping pigmen from appearing anywhere but where you want them to? :3 at the least they'll eventually walk into the spores and die, which would probably help people with their pigmen farm.

-shooting arrows at the spores didn't appear to do anything, nor did using dung, bone meal, or a soul urn on the mature spores.

-they are nonflammable, and lava runs over them. (actually, it floats over them, similar to lava over half slabs.)

-they make cute ghastly noises as they spread and grow, like when converting ground netherrack to hellfire dust.

-they make angry ghastly noises when munching on a creature.
That's everything i've figured out at this point. had a few wtf moments with them, lol. XD Perhaps they'd make a way to filter rotten flesh from other materials, at least in the nether? (i'm looking at you, pigman farm.)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

O.O

I... I just...

FC, you have released another abomination on the Nether. I'm more scared of these than I am of bloodwood.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:O.O

I... I just...

FC, you have released another abomination on the Nether. I'm more scared of these than I am of bloodwood.
They're my friends...I made them.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:They're my friends...I made them.
So many... inappropriate jokes... This is so going to RULE in SMP :D
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

WHOA! I've been awake for an hour, chatting on IRC, drawing teextures etc before I even noticed this. Awesome FC! I'm off to test our new toys.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Sounds intriguing! :)

Also, you bastard -you just had to go and release this just as I headed off on vacation, now I'll have to wait a week before I can try it out :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea