Breeding Farm Help

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
angra_mania

Breeding Farm Help

Post by angra_mania »

Hey guys, I'm currently building a breeding farm, but for some reason I can't get my breeding partners to actually mate. I have it set up so that a dispenser shoots out wheat to the breeding partners, and I know that they eat it since they all enter love mode, but only 1 to 3 breeding partners out of 5 will actually produce a child and I can't for the life of me figure out why. They just sit there and outlive love mode. Whenever I feed them manually they immediately breed.
Spoiler
Show
The first picture is how I set up the BPs, the wheat drops just in front of the hole and whenever they breed the babies drop down the hole between them. And each BP is stacked over the same central shaft. I'm just at a loss as to what is happening, and It kind of would suck if I would have to completely redesign since I've pretty much built the whole farm and it ends up it doesn't work.

Any Ideas?
Fozzel

Re: Breeding Farm Help

Post by Fozzel »

That sounds like a bug to me, if feeding them manually works...
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

I can't really see the placement of your animals from the pictures, so I have to take a guess.
Are your animals all breed at the same time?
And how far are the breeding pairs apart from each other?

If yes and they are relatively close, then it's possible that they fall in love with an animal from another breeding pair, but don't breed because they can't get close enough. I had that problem in one of my farms until I delayed the feeding pairwise.
StormBeforeDawn

Post by StormBeforeDawn »

Whisp wrote: If yes and they are relatively close, then it's possible that they fall in love with an animal from another breeding pair, but don't breed because they can't get close enough.
This is certainly the problem.
~Storm
Urian

Post by Urian »

Pretty sure it's that they're close enough to try to breed with someone else than their designated breeeing partner. Try moving them further apart or possibly try to change the timing for them being fed so not all get wheat at the same timr (and not two pairs next to each other).

FC has made some changes a some months back that is/was supposed to help avoid these problems. I'm on a phone now so I won't go archive browsing but someone else might remember just what thise changes were.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
angra_mania

Post by angra_mania »

Whisp wrote:I can't really see the placement of your animals from the pictures, so I have to take a guess.
Are your animals all breed at the same time?
And how far are the breeding pairs apart from each other?

If yes and they are relatively close, then it's possible that they fall in love with an animal from another breeding pair, but don't breed because they can't get close enough. I had that problem in one of my farms until I delayed the feeding pairwise.
They are all bred at the same time with a Detector block/Lens combination. They are one block apart from each-other and each breeding partner are five block apart from each-other vertically.

Thinking about it now, they might be trying to breed below and above each-other before the second wheat comes out and just don't try the right partner fast enough.

I'll see how'll it goes, Looks like I can fit a repeater between the det block and dispenser.
angra_mania

Post by angra_mania »

Ok I figured it out. I instead opted to alternate the pigs and cows as shown in the picture. Apparently, they still get distracted from the diagonal BP's, So I just have to activate each column at separate times, but everything seems to be working out. They don't seem to be that close imo, but what can you do.
Spoiler
Show
Thanks guys.